PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Rumors: Teams interested in Mallett, Pats have rejected past offers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Kind of funny, how the discussion from some of the people that knew Mallet was worthless quickly changed to *****ing about BB not trading him for the second a couple of years ago.

If they want Mallett so bad I say hammer out a deal...yup....strike while the iron is hot...drive that spike into the rail...

While this isn't Mike Reiss reporting, these are at least a step up from "Incarcerated Bob" divining his bowel movements. :)
How is it a "step-up" from Incarcerated Bob? Just because this guy has a nicer website?

I don't believe it for a second (pun intended) but even if it's true, that Broncos offer would have had to have come at least 2 years ago. Mallett's value has only gone down because he is 2 years closer to being an UFA with no real experience under his belt (despite what some others in here think).

This thread seems like a good place for a repost:

Here's a scenario, assuming BOB likes Mallett enough to offer value:

• Texans want Clowney but decide that they can't go into 2014 with their current QB roster
  • Texans offer to swap positions in round 2 and 3 in exchange for Mallett (The trade chart equivalent of trading pick #47 to the Patriots)
  • Texans get Clowney and Mallett, and keep all their picks, while the Patriots move up into position to get both the TE and DL in the top 33, and they'd be in great position to grab an interio OL at the top of round 3
  • Texans get one year tryout with Mallett and can sell their fans on having the ability to draft a QB in a better year for them (2015), if needed

Ecstatic is the word that would come to mind for me as a Patriots fan, and it doesn't screw over the Texans in the deal.

As I have said a few times, perhaps not on here, I'd love to trade Mallett for a pick, then trade a pick a couple rounds lower to MIN for Ponder. IMO, Ponder is better than Mallett; just needs proper coaching to instill confidence in him.

Christopher Price ‏@cpriceNFL · 1m
Can confirm the report from @Nick_Underhill via a league source that the Texans have expressed an interest in Ryan Mallett.

The rumor continues to heat up.

I find it troubling how some people here think they are qualified to evaluate Ryan Mallett, without ever seeing him practice for any length of time. BOB HAS had that opportunity up close and personal, both on the field and in the classroom. If rumors of Texas' interest is real,

But the bottom line here is we don't know if any of this is true, nor do we have any idea how the NFL actually views Ryan as a QB prospect. They may think he's great. They may think he's dog crap Given the vast amount of information that NONE of us have, I'm surprised at the number of us who keep giving unfounded opinions as if they are fact.

If BOB thinks the Mallett is a better risk in his system than the top 3 QB's that are out there, then its just a matter of coming to an agreement on a price. If he doesn't, then Mallett will be a Patriot in 2014. It's as simple as that.

IF there is interest. I think it would be easier to come to deal by getting 65th pick this year, and another pick next year based on Mallet's success. For example, if Mallett is the starter and the Texans make the playoffs, its a first. If he starts and they win more than 8 games its a 2nd. Less than 8, its a 3rd If he's not the starter, its a 4rh. Something like that.

Something like that could actually be better for the Pats long term. For the Texans it lessens their risk, and if Ryan leads them to a playoff berth, then giving up a low first isn't a big price to pay for a young playoff QB.

My 2nd point is that finding a decent back up for Brady in 2014 isn't going to be that hard.

I have always thought that most Draftniks have their craniums firmly esconsed between the cheeks of their maximus gluteus. ;)

QB is the toughest position to fill. If the Pats have found and groomed a possible QB, irrespective of whether he will turn out that way, they need to find out what they have before trading him for a bag of magic beans.:)

Apparently other Coaches than just BB feel that way too, and thank heaven BB is no fool.:D

If he was offered a second a couple of times and refused, he may be holding out for more; but I suspect he is after more than that. Trading up to draft a QB costs a hell of a lot more than a mere second round pick. The Skins paid their first, another first, and several other picks to jump up for RG III.

Despite what Pats fans say, the end will come for TFB. Just as it came for the Packer fans and Favre, the Broncos fans and Elway, and the Colts fans for Baltimore's Unitas and Indianapolis' Manning. :(

It is also thoroughly stupid to think they will lose Mallett for nothing. He can be re-signed after next season, if willing; or tagged with a Right of First Refusal, or tagged, kept or/and traded like Cassell was. Cassell went to KC for a second, with the proviso that KC provide a retirement home for a great LB, which they dutifully did.:snob:

Don't say they couldn't afford Brady and Mallett in 2016, as that is the year that Brady's salary drops to $7 miliion, leaving ample room to sign Mallett as well.:cool:

Now Mallett may not turn out to be anybody; most new QBs fail, but I trust BB who has seen him. He has coached him and worked with him and seen that.

He has almost entirely been hidden, not exposed much in preseason. Maybe he is terrible, but then why did BB cut Hoyer? . But Maybe there is another reason BB is hiding him, in plain sight. :confused:

All we know for sure is that he has earned numerous awards like Black shirts, and Special parking spaces awarded to those who work hard. After all, the worst that the anonymous rumors said in college was that he was Lazy, and a Dope, who couldn't learn a playbook. He was also accused of being a doper, but strangely the tests never provided any corroboration.;)

Unlike all the foolish Draftniks who want a shiny new draft pick toy to dream over, BB has a shiny toy that he has apparently kept despite offers. Plus unlike us, he HAS seen him play. Remember. They wanted to cut Cassell too. :eek:

Mallett is not re-signing to backup Brady and he is not getting franchised at $23,000,000 or whatever the franchise QB amount will be in 2015. Even the foolish and thoroughly stupid know that.

I find it troubling how some people here think they are qualified to evaluate Ryan Mallett, without ever seeing him practice for any length of time.
Gimme a break. If you had to be as qualified as a GM/coach/scout/etc to give an opinion on something, not a single one of us would be able to give a single opinion on a single subject.

Originally Posted by Deus Irae View Post
Here's a scenario, assuming BOB likes Mallett enough to offer value:

Texans want Clowney but decide that they can't go into 2014 with their current QB roster
Texans offer to swap positions in round 2 and 3 in exchange for Mallett (The trade chart equivalent of trading pick #47 to the Patriots)
Texans get Clowney and Mallett, and keep all their picks, while the Patriots move up into position to get both the TE and DL in the top 33, and they'd be in great position to grab an interio OL at the top of round 3
Texans get one year tryout with Mallett and can sell their fans on having the ability to draft a QB in a better year for them (2015), if needed

This makes a lot of sense as well. Plus if getting the best defensive player available is the Texans' objective, they can more than replace what they gave up for Mallett, by trading down a spot or 2 and still get Clowney or at worst Mack, who might end up being just as good as Clowney, without the risks.

Personally I'd want another pick this year on next. A 5th I think would be fair.

Gimme a break. If you had to be as qualified as a GM/coach/scout/etc to give an opinion on something, not a single one of us would be able to give a single opinion on a single subject.

That's a fair point.....and true

Perhaps I didn't articulate my thoughts adequately.. I don't have a problem with people having opinions, or even differing opinions. What I have a problem with are people who present opinions as factual, Those who make blanket statements without any explanation of how they came to that opinion or slam others who have the temerity to disagree, without acknowledging that its just their opinion.

Maybe what gets me grumpy sometimes is the lack of simple civility that seems to be happening all to often here lately....or it could be that I'm old and I'm not getting enough sleep.

Maybe what gets me grumpy sometimes is the lack of simple civility that seems to be happening all to often here lately....or it could be that I'm old and I'm not getting enough sleep.

Quite possibly a combination of both :)

Would like to see a swapping of 2nd and 4th rounders + Mallett

Kind of funny, how the discussion from some of the people that knew Mallet was worthless quickly changed to *****ing about BB not trading him for the second a couple of years ago.

The only reason that the Texans would have the interest in Mallett that they do is because of the BOB connection. BOB worked first hand with Mallett so he has a better insight than most people.

Nobody has ever said Mallett was worth it, just not worth to another team what he is worth to the Pats.

The BOB factor may just in fact change all of that and if the Patriots swapped picks like DI suggests above that would be pretty freaking rad for all involved. Actually I'd love their 3rd rounder straight up because it means we had him rent free for three years.

I suggested something similar back in January with regards to Cleveland - a swap of first rounders (their 2nd first) and a swap of seconds. That was back when Lombardi was still there.

http://www.patsfans.com/new-england...mallett-s-market-value-page2.html#post3705059

Thought about this in relation to trading Mallett to the Browns. We could trade him for a swap of first and second round picks (their second first obviously). The slight jump in the first puts us in a better position to nab an Amaro or Tuitt/Nix and the significant 2nd round jump could get us a borderline first rounder. It would look something like:

Round One: (not in any order)

Nix
Tuitt
Amaro
Gilbert

Round Two:

Roby
ASJ
Swanson
etc

The Browns don't lose a pick trading for Mallett and will still have made two picks before they get their now much reduced second rounder. And we get late second round value for Mallett. Strikes me as a win-win provided they can find a suitable Mallett replacement. McCarron in the third maybe. I'm not big on him as a future starter but think he makes for a good long-term backup.

i find it hard to believe that BB would pass up a 2th round pick for mallet not once but twice

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes