PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Rumors: Teams interested in Mallett, Pats have rejected past offers

Status
Not open for further replies.
However I think that #33 is too high a value for Mallett. I think that for the top pick in the 3rd plus a conditional 2015 that would range between a 2nd and a 4th would be enough to make the Pats pull the trigger.

I'm wondering if Mallett/Amendola or Mallett/Ridley might do the trick.

Mosqueda tweeted that the offer was made in 2011.

and Mallet's value since then is less because he's approaching end of his 1st contract and will cost any team far more in cap $ than the 2011 kid woulda cost for a cheap 4 yrs

"My opinion is if they've actually fielded multiple offers, I wouldn't be surprised to see him moved during the draft."

If indeed it does play out like this, then we only have to agonize reading "Mallet for #33" posts for another 61 days.

This would almost make more sense. Wait until draft day when chaos may ensue and GM's panic when (surprise!) there guy is off the board and they need to go to plan B. Could be a good way to get more than 1 draft pick and no team shuffles around the board better under the gun than BB and his staff.

Bledsoe and Cassel had to be jettisoned. We simply couldn't afford to pay them and keep them around. That hand was already played. It's different with Mallet because of his current pay grade and contract status. We're not under the gun to unload this guy like the aforementioned 2. Teams will have to come to us for his services, not the other way around.

I'm wondering if Mallett/Amendola or Mallett/Ridley might do the trick.

No chance imo, both Ridley and Mallett will be free agents. And Amendola is an injury risk. You'll be lucky to get a mid-3rd for either package.

PFC looks less legit than Erika Leigh's and IB's secret love child.

I can easily make a case for BOB wanting/needing Ryan Mallett. It just makes too much sense. If he trades for Mallet, he can take Clowney or even trade down for a QB desperate team and get a boat load of picks and still get Clowney or Mack.

However I think that #33 is too high a value for Mallett. I think that for the top pick in the 3rd plus a conditional 2015 that would range between a 2nd and a 4th would be enough to make the Pats pull the trigger.

I don't see all the sudden consternation about who the Pats have as their back up QB. There are a number of veteran QB's who have had a large number of successful games and even seasons who would be a capable as Cassell or Hoyer, in the unlikely occasion of a Brady injury.

Matt Shaub is one that comes to mind. No he's not a "great QB", but he's a capable enough to get to a couple of pro bowls. The guy who almost beat the Pats for the Browns last year, whose name escapes me (as they so often do these days), he also had some success with the Raiders and Washington. These are just 2 guys who will be available for something around the vet minimum.

Don't forget they are NOT here to actually play in the games.

You are assuming that BOB thinks Mallett is a starting caliber QB and better than whoever he could get. That is assuming an awful lot.

"My opinion is if they've actually fielded multiple offers, I wouldn't be surprised to see him moved during the draft."

If indeed it does play out like this, then we only have to agonize reading "Mallet for #33" posts for another 61 days.

This would almost make more sense. Wait until draft day when chaos may ensue and GM's panic when (surprise!) there guy is off the board and they need to go to plan B. Could be a good way to get more than 1 draft pick and no team shuffles around the board better under the gun than BB and his staff.

Bledsoe and Cassel had to be jettisoned. We simply couldn't afford to pay them and keep them around. That hand was already played. It's different with Mallet because of his current pay grade and contract status. We're not under the gun to unload this guy like the aforementioned 2. Teams will have to come to us for his services, not the other way around.

I, I just don't know if I can handle another 61 days of those posts :(

You are assuming that BOB thinks Mallett is a starting caliber QB and better than whoever he could get. That is assuming an awful lot.

Yup got it you don't like Mallet. You have made that pretty obvious. Either BOB does or doesn't, you have no clue which it is, and neither do I.

Yup got it you don't like Mallet. You have made that pretty obvious. Either BOB does or doesn't, you have no clue which it is, and neither do I.

You echoed my point.
Whether I like Mallet or not is irrelevant.

A guy I know, his cousin is the head of Jared Allen's Charity. The cousin talked to Jared Allen, and Allen said that the Patriots are on his short list of teams he will play for. IF the Patriots offer him a "Fair" contract, he will sign with New England. Just throwing it out there.

A guy I know, his cousin is the head of Jared Allen's Charity. The cousin talked to Jared Allen, and Allen said that the Patriots are on his short list of teams he will play for. IF the Patriots offer him a "Fair" contract, he will sign with New England. Just throwing it out there.

My brothers ex-girlfriends' cousins stepdad reported something similar about Adam Seward. :D

FWIW

Nick Underhill ‏@Nick_Underhill 10m
On the Ryan Mallett-Houston rumors that are out there … Source says that the interest is real, but nothing is definite.

I have always thought that most Draftniks have their craniums firmly esconsed between the cheeks of their maximus gluteus. ;)

QB is the toughest position to fill. If the Pats have found and groomed a possible QB, irrespective of whether he will turn out that way, they need to find out what they have before trading him for a bag of magic beans.:)

Apparently other Coaches than just BB feel that way too, and thank heaven BB is no fool.:D

If he was offered a second a couple of times and refused, he may be holding out for more; but I suspect he is after more than that. Trading up to draft a QB costs a hell of a lot more than a mere second round pick. The Skins paid their first, another first, and several other picks to jump up for RG III.

Despite what Pats fans say, the end will come for TFB. Just as it came for the Packer fans and Favre, the Broncos fans and Elway, and the Colts fans for Baltimore's Unitas and Indianapolis' Manning. :(

It is also thoroughly stupid to think they will lose Mallett for nothing. He can be re-signed after next season, if willing; or tagged with a Right of First Refusal, or tagged, kept or/and traded like Cassell was. Cassell went to KC for a second, with the proviso that KC provide a retirement home for a great LB, which they dutifully did.:snob:

Don't say they couldn't afford Brady and Mallett in 2016, as that is the year that Brady's salary drops to $7 miliion, leaving ample room to sign Mallett as well.:cool:

Now Mallett may not turn out to be anybody; most new QBs fail, but I trust BB who has seen him. He has coached him and worked with him and seen that.

He has almost entirely been hidden, not exposed much in preseason. Maybe he is terrible, but then why did BB cut Hoyer? . But Maybe there is another reason BB is hiding him, in plain sight. :confused:

All we know for sure is that he has earned numerous awards like Black shirts, and Special parking spaces awarded to those who work hard. After all, the worst that the anonymous rumors said in college was that he was Lazy, and a Dope, who couldn't learn a playbook. He was also accused of being a doper, but strangely the tests never provided any corroboration.;)

Unlike all the foolish Draftniks who want a shiny new draft pick toy to dream over, BB has a shiny toy that he has apparently kept despite offers. Plus unlike us, he HAS seen him play. Remember. They wanted to cut Cassell too. :eek:

It's on NFL.com now, too. This is getting dumb. I've never had an issue with them trading for Mallet, just not for the #33 pick everyone is throwing out there. Their 3rd or 4th rounder is much more likely.

Mallet + 4 probably gets us 33.

If we can move him this offseason for a 2nd we better do it. We won't be able to hold on to him next year.

BB should not have been so stubborn and have just traded him in the past. If I hear they got an offer for a 2nd and didn't pull the trigger I will not be pleased.

I'm sure BB will cry a bucket full of tears that you are unhappy. ;)

I guess I have to agree, I just can't figure out how they end up keeping him long term, so if that is the case, is it better to get something for him, or lose him next year. Unless, what you get for him is less than it will cost to replace him with another back up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back