PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Rumors of interest in Shawn Alexander for the Patriots

Status
Not open for further replies.
There was ONE lead back last year returning kicks. Adrian Peterson. And I dont even know when he returned those kicks. It was likely earlier in the season before he became clearly their best runner. Maroney did not have a single return last year in the regular season.

Its not a matter of bringing in some old guy like SA to backup Maroney and take over if LM gets hurt playing special teams. Because trust me, at this point, you dont want SA carrying the ball on offense instead of Maroney. I realize he's had a tremendous career, but those times are gone. An offense is a complex thing. You bring in a vet like Alexander or a rookie like McFadden, who knows, you may even be bringing in back who technically runs better with the ball as strictly a pure runner of the football. But what you lose are the chemistry of Maroney playing in and learning and at this point understanding this offense.

But all of this for those TWO YARDS per touch? How bout those 2TDs that Hobbs had? I didnt see you mention that at all, or the stellar job Hobbs himself did. Youve been making this case for 2 measley yards, but if you honestly think that's making or breaking teams, specifically a team that won 18 consecutive games, I hate to be the master of the obvious here, but that's just a little too much thought for its own good.

Personally I think Hobbs is a little hit or miss. I don't think he was all that great of a returner last year. He had the big return in the Jets game and didn't do much after that. I will take someone who is consistantly going to get you an extra 2 yards than someone who once a season will take it to the house.

I think we have exhausted this argument. You don't think STs is worth enough to use starters and I am willing to risk a good RB if we had a good back up RB.

If you want to say that you don't trust Alexander to be that back up than that is something I could by into. Again all I was saying was that the fact that he doesn't play STs meant nothing because Maroney does.

Personnally I would perfer to get McFadden and have to young stud RBs and than I don't have to worry about injury as much.

Personally I think Hobbs is a little hit or miss. I don't think he was all that great of a returner last year. He had the big return in the Jets game and didn't do much after that. I will take someone who is consistantly going to get you an extra 2 yards than someone who once a season will take it to the house.

I think we have exhausted this argument. You don't think STs is worth enough to use starters and I am willing to risk a good RB if we had a good back up RB.

If you want to say that you don't trust Alexander to be that back up than that is something I could by into. Again all I was saying was that the fact that he doesn't play STs meant nothing because Maroney does.

Personnally I would perfer to get McFadden and have to young stud RBs and than I don't have to worry about injury as much.

McFadden doesn't make sense for the Patriots, and that's not even going into how moronic it would be for the Patriots to select him at 7th overall, or even in the first round.

What yourself and some others (armen) seem to miss is the fact that he's more similar to Maroney, than dissimilar. In other words, if they were going to bring in another back he should be a better short yardage back, or have some other skill that isn't necessarily one of Maroney's strengths. I think Maroney's developed a stronger between the tackles running game, but his strength is bouncing it to the outside, and working in space. That is McFadden's main strength, as well. Also, despite seeming like a bigger back, DMac has thin legs, and goes down on first contact to easily. So, he's not the type of RB I'd want to share carries with Maroney.

Morris worked out well in rotation with Maroney because his strength is between the tackles running, and he's a better blocker (although Maroney started to develop as a blocker during 2007). If Morris is completely healthy (and stays healthy) then he should continue to be a nice backup/rotational RB behind Maroney.

Now, I only bring up my interest in a possibly falling Stewart because at that point in the draft I believe Stewart would become the BPA, and while I like Sammy, I also think Stewart would be an upgrade, especially in the long term (Sammy turns 31 in a week or so). That would also allow them to move Sammy over to FB, which would then allow them to cut either Evans or Eckel, and upgrade two positions with one draft pick. Stewart can also return kicks, and busted an 88 yard TD in college.

I've also got some interest in Chris Johnson as a returner and future replacement for Kevin Faulk. Steve Slaton could be of interest in the third round for that 3rd down RB role, as well. But, I have no idea if the Patriots are looking for someone who can eventually take over for Kevin. I liked Lorenzo Booker last year, and they interviewed him, and put him through some private workouts, so they did seem to have some interest in RB's who fit that 3rd down back/WR role in 2007.

Getting back to McFadden, I honestly don't think he'll ever live up to all the hype, but that's beside the point. Which is, he doesn't make sense in rotation with Maroney.

Last edited:
Aren't you afraid he'd get smoked in those schemes?

He might get burned once or twice, but don't forget in a zone defense you always have joint responsibilities with the other DBs.

PFnV

Sammy Maroney will be fine...

If we're going running back, we should be going after McFadden in the draft, but I have even cooled off my earlier lust for that pick.

We need linebackers and cornerbacks!!!!!!!!!!!!

Absolutely. And we'll still have one of the top kick returners in the league, Chad Jackson.

You heard it here first.:D

I didn't read the entire 9 pages of this thread, but being a Pats fan from WA state, I can honestly say we need to stay away from Alexander. Everyone here is disappointed in him since he signed that fat contract after getting MVP. He just doesn't have it anymore. Some people here argue that Steve Hutchinson was a big reason why he had a great year his contract year and ever since he left, their entire right side of the oline became too weak. Also, from watching many Seattle games here, he just dances around way too much and likes to run sideways all the time instead of hitting the holes hard. I can honestly say that Kyle Eckel is a better RB at this point than Shawn Alexander and many of my friends who are Seahawk fans would probably agree with me. They are going to celebrate the day he is officially cut.

I didn't read the entire 9 pages of this thread, but being a Pats fan from WA state, I can honestly say we need to stay away from Alexander. Everyone here is disappointed in him since he signed that fat contract after getting MVP. He just doesn't have it anymore. Some people here argue that Steve Hutchinson was a big reason why he had a great year his contract year and ever since he left, their entire right side of the oline became too weak. Also, from watching many Seattle games here, he just dances around way too much and likes to run sideways all the time instead of hitting the holes hard. I can honestly say that Kyle Eckel is a better RB at this point than Shawn Alexander and many of my friends who are Seahawk fans would probably agree with me. They are going to celebrate the day he is officially cut.

I feel the same way. I have watched him quite often b/c I had him in fantasy and he seems soft when his running. he goes down a lot on initial contact. IMO Morris and Maroney would be a better cheaper option for you guys. Im sure I dont have to remind anyone but there was a stretch when Morris was coming in and tearing sh#t up.

Last edited:
this is a stupid idea.

Maurice Morris is a better running back than Alexander is right now.

Has anyone entertained the thought that this is just a game to drive the price up for other teams in the division (Jets, Dolphins) who might be more interested in signing him than the Pats.

Has anyone entertained the thought that this is just a game to drive the price up for other teams in the division (Jets, Dolphins) who might be more interested in signing him than the Pats.

Jets and Phins?:confused:

No way do the Pats try and sign Alexander, nor do they draft McFadden. They already have 1st round money tied up in Maroney, and have other areas which need addressing first anyway.

Do you want cut morris for him?

we carry 4 backs and except 4th guy to be a key in spl teams and play TE,H-Back and blitz pickup guy which rules out evans. then we have faulk and i do not think he can replace him .so that leaves maroney and morris so i am thinking the above.Morris also plays ST.we have a good backup with eckel who is young and also a key of the ST group.

Morris was at the SB and is already reported to be training. why the hell do you cut him for a guy who has not run good in 2 yrs and does not give you the tough yards morris gives.

Who ever said Morris was getting cut????

If anything, Evans could be the odd man out.

But, there are better options than signing SA.

It is just a rumour anyways...

I doubt anything happens.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes