PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Rumors of interest in Shawn Alexander for the Patriots

Status
Not open for further replies.
That would be a horrible move. We cannot afford to waste a high draft pick on a position that we are already adequate at. How do you suppose we fill the glaring holes at OLB, CB. and ILB if we blow a second rounder on a rb?

Nothing against Stewart, but can he play CB or ILB or OLB?

Where did NE select Asante Samuel, Ellis Hobbs, and James Sanders? Answer : 4th round, 3rd round, and 4th round. Also, let's say the Patriots trade down from 7th overall to 14th overall (Bears), and pick up an additional 2nd rounder (44th overall) in the process.

The Patriots could then realistically select:
At 14th overall:
OLB Groves
CB McKelvin
CB Rodgers-Cromartie
CB Cason (if they really like him, and aren't worried about "reaching")
and others...

At 44th overall:
OLB Cliff Avril
CB Cason (I think he goes earlier, but some are projecting him in this range)
CB Brandon Flowers
OT Gosder Cherilus (Might go higher, but he could still be on the board)
RB Jonathan Stewart (if the Toe causes him to fall)
CB Patrick Lee
CB Reggie Smith

At 62nd overall
RB Jonathan Stewart (if his toe injury causes him to fall this far)
CB Chevis Jackson (I like him, and he could develop into better CB than some expect. He's obviously on the Patriots radar, as they've already interviewed him multiple times, and scheduled a gillette visit for him)
ILB Jonathan Goff
ILB Phillip Wheeler (He gained weight, and looked good at the combine.)
RB Chris Johnson (if they want a returner and future replacement for the soon to be 32 year old Kevin Faulk)
OLB Shawn Crable

At 69th overall:
as 62nd and 69th overall are very close together, a lot of the same players should be options...

ILB Jonathan Goff
ILB Phillips Wheeler
OLB Shawn Crable
CB Chevis Jackson
CB Charles Godfrey

at 126th overall:
CB Terrell Thomas
TE Brad Cottam (if he goes any higher it's a mistake, as he has some injury red flags)
CB/DB Simeon Castille
FS/DB Quintin Demps (Might go higher, but he could be here)
SS Josh Barrett
SS Thomas Zbikowski
ILB J Leman (this is a late fourth rounder, and I think he's either a fourth or fifth rounder)

There are some other options in the 5th, 6th, and 7th, like CB Zenon, LB McClain, and Safety Silva, but I don't feel like listing everyone right at this moment. In any case, they don't have to use their first three picks on OLB, CB, and ILB.

Last edited:
OK, people are reading my thread wrong.

I never said that he should be Maroney's replacement.

Just a change of pace guy to split the carries.

You could split the carries between the 3, and like someone said before about Morris moving back to fullback.

That would take the pressure off of Maroney... since he will never be able to handle all of the load anyways.

This all hinges on what Alexander wants for pay though.

If he wants too much... than dumb idea.

Of course.

I'm the guy who said they could move Morris over to FB. Now that you've cleared up your stance, I think your opinion is actually closer to mine. I'd rather draft Jonathan Stewart (if he falls), then sign Alexander, though.

I don't recall Alexander as being all that good at picking up the blitz... If I am wrong, I'll eat crow. If I am right, hot damn, that last thing I need is another guy not protecting Tom Brady...

No. There's a reason a guy like Alexander is being dropped, he's lost all his heart and dances around behind the LOS a million times worse than Maroney.

I'd way, way rather have Morris than Alexander getting carries based on what each of them did last year.

2007 .....716....3.5

Which one do you want?

This thread is a joke. When considering age and talent, the only RBs in the NFL I would take over Maroney are Adrian Peterson, LT, Stephen Jackson, Fred Taylor, and Ronnie Brown(if healthy). I think Maroney and Marion Barber are a draw. If Herm Edwards were the coach of our team, thank baby Jesus he's not, Maroney would either be alive with 1700 yds and 15 TDs+ or 6 feet under. That's how good Maroney could be, we haven't seen 50% of his true potential yet.

Last edited:
Maroney's a good back. I have to laugh at the OP talking about "...if he doesnt get the ball 25+ times per game..." um, do the math. That's 400+ carries a year. The rare RBs that get that many carries just plain break. Look at Larry Johnson last year versus the year before.

Maroney is doing just fine. Now, if there's value out there to be had on the upside, well, we know NE will do it. But Alexander has always run behind a fullback, as I recall, which is totally different from the expectations in most NE sets. He's been injured and unproductive for 2 years. IF there's anything to this, I don't see what the Pats supposedly see in him. Then again, they have more game film to look at.

Am I happy with Maroney and Morris? Sure. Am I happy to stick Shawn Alexander on the roster for a 1-year, 1-million dollar deal or something, so he can prove what he's got left? I don't see the harm, if that's a possibility. Throw him into training camp and let God sort it out.

PFnV

:confused:

Deal with what ? What's wrong with Shaun Alexander (not that I think he's coming to NE but . . . )

Shaun Alexander absolutely blows.

I have the displeasure of having a huge seahawks fan for a roommate so I get treated to all their games and his performances are laughable.

I love him being on the seahawks because it's just awesome material to use when giving my roommate a hard time.

Deal with what ? What's wrong with Shaun Alexander (not that I think he's coming to NE but . . . )

He is basically Antione Smith at this point. Two yards and a cloud of dust...

Alexander has been like glass in Seattle lately. You'll be hard-pressed to find Seahawks fans that are sad that he's leaving.

Maroney's a good back. I have to laugh at the OP talking about "...if he doesnt get the ball 25+ times per game..." um, do the math. That's 400+ carries a year. The rare RBs that get that many carries just plain break. Look at Larry Johnson last year versus the year before.

Maroney is doing just fine. Now, if there's value out there to be had on the upside, well, we know NE will do it. But Alexander has always run behind a fullback, as I recall, which is totally different from the expectations in most NE sets. He's been injured and unproductive for 2 years. IF there's anything to this, I don't see what the Pats supposedly see in him. Then again, they have more game film to look at.

Am I happy with Maroney and Morris? Sure. Am I happy to stick Shawn Alexander on the roster for a 1-year, 1-million dollar deal or something, so he can prove what he's got left? I don't see the harm, if that's a possibility. Throw him into training camp and let God sort it out.

PFnV

Thank You! Great post.

Think Sammy Morris at the beginning of the year. Maroney at the end of the year. Brady Moss Welker WRs TEs Faulk etc.

Now think of the LBs and CBs.

And remember, the offense only gets to use one football at a time.:rolleyes:

I guess what I'm saying is Morris and Maroney can use twice as many carries as they'll probably get.

Between the two, we have every aspect of power, speed and elusiveness with big NFL bodies..

Pleeeeeeez. It ain't broke, don't fix it.

I am sorry, but I had to laugh out loud at this post. First, this is all hypothetical.

Way to point out the obvious! The mere fact that I'm saying "if the toe injury causes him to fall" would suggest that it is in fact a "hypothetical"....

Second, I love how you create data so that a player can fall down the draft so it fits your mock agenda. Even with the supposed toe injury, the majority of mock drafts have Sullivan staying in the first round. Many have him going as high as the #18. Could you please explain to me how you possibly think that turf toe is going to make his stock drop? Give me a break. That is totally ridiculous. It is turf toe for crying out loud. Every NFL athlete gets it at one time or another to some degree. He still had an excellent combine and posted solid numbers. 40 time = 4.48, bench = 28 reps of 225lbs (3rd best rb), vert = 36.5" (2nd best rb), broad jump = 10'8" (5th best rb), and not to mention the guy is a train at 230 lbs. He is not falling to your silly 44 or beyond.

What data am I creating? Please, do elaborate? Was Stewart's post Combine surgery to correct said toe injury a figment of my imagination? It wasn't reported as a surgery that will likely sideline him for 4 to 6 months, and could effect his draft stock? I guess Rotoworld.com and others haven't said they could see him going in the second round, because of that very injury & surgery?

Third, I hope you are not trying to claim that Sanders, Hobbs, and Asante came out of the same draft. Now so you can present the whole story, why don't you go post all the DBs that were drafted since 2003 that have not made this team. So what, you cite 3 guys over a period of 5 years who played well for us. Big fat deal. That is 3 guys in 5 years who were 3-4 round draft picks out of how many chances????? hmmmmm you have fuzzy math.

First, I just have to say....what?

Now, I'll respond to yet another absurd point of contention...

No, Asante Samuel, Ellis Hobbs, and James Sanders weren't selected in the same draft. Asante was selected in the 4th round of the 2003 NFL draft, and both Sanders and Hobbs were selected in the 2005 NFL draft. What DB's have they selected in that same 5 year time frame?

2007:
Brandon Meriweather (1st round) - Could be their starting FS in 2008.

CB/DB Mike Richardson (6th round) - still on the team, and could challenge for playing time as either a nickle or dime DB.

2006:
DB Willie Andrews (7th round) - Still on the roster (although that could change with his drug arrest). contributed on special teams in 2007, where he scored one TD as a returner. Was expected to challenge for playing time as their dimeback or nickle, but we'll see what happens with his drug chargers, and if NE keeps him around.

2005:
The only DB's they drafted (Hobbs and Sanders) have already been mentioned

2004:
S Guss Scott (3rd round) - Pretty much a constant IR during his stay in NE.

S Dexter Reid (4th round) - Got playing time as a backup Safety, but he couldn't fully digest the defense, and turned out to be a head case, so the Patriots dropped him. Reid then signed on with the Colts, and won his second SB as a backup Safety, but again proved himself to be a head case, and has likely seen his last NFL paycheck.

Christian Morton (7th round) - He wasn't very good, but he was a 7th round pick, and you're not always going to find the next Tom Brady in the late rounds of the draft.

Randall Gay (UDFA) - Obviously he wasn't drafted, but the Patriots picked him up as a UDFA that season. He went on to see substantial time at CB during their stretch run to the SB, and he later (after two injury marred seasons) got most of his time as their third CB behind Samuel and Hobbs.

2003:
Eugene Wilson (2nd round) - He was a good starting FS during the first few seasons of his career, but he fell victim to a number of injuries and his level of play seemingly declined with each additional injury.

Asante Samuel (4th round) - Developed into a very good starting CB during his career in NE, and recently signed a significant Multi-year deal with the Eagles.

So, they've been able to find some good post first round players in the secondary, but they haven't all become starters, or even solid contributors.

This might seem like a shocker to you, but that isn't news to me. You're not always going to hit on your picks, and you can't always find gems that other teams might have passed over. But, the Patriots have proven themselves capable of finding post first or second round players who can have some success in the system. Also, this years draft is supposed to be deep at CB, which in theory could improve their chances of finding a good CB in the third or fourth rounds.

Fourth, for some reason you imply that just because we draft a player between rounds 3-7 that he will absolutely make this team. There is no guarantee that whoever we pick in later rounds will stick.

Mr. Obvious strikes again. Let's go even further and say that their is no guarantee that whomever they select in the first or second round will develop into a good starter. I'll say that NE's been one of the more successful teams in the first round, but their track record in the second round isn't outstanding, and there obviously isn't any certainty in the draft.

Fifth, we have some pretty large holes that are going to have be filled with more than one player. The Pats D is said to be the toughest in the NFL. There is not only no guarantee that the draft pic will make the team, but there is also no guarantee that the draft pick will be able to fill the hole appropriately. These things take time. Where was a certain safety we drafted in the first round last year all season? hmmmmm? BM was a 1st round pick, so I think it is very unrealistic to assume whoever we draft is going instantly into the starting lineup.

Meriweather's lack of playing time in 2007 has little bearing on the players they select in 2008. If anything it could suggest that spending a first rounder to fill one of those "holes" wouldn't automatically solve the problem, but it doesn't necessarily suggest that a player selected later in the draft couldn't develop into a major contributor. Also, Meriweather was behind Rodney Harrison, James Sanders, and Eugene Wilson during parts of the 2007 season, and the Patriots had initially tried him out at CB. So, it's hard to say how much of an impact he could have made, if they had needed him at Safety from day one.

Sixth, just because you think you can copy an paste a bunch or players that may project to fall around our pics, does not mean that BB will pick them. BB almost never pick who mock guys project. There is not a single person on this board that can admit to knowing BB's draft strategy. It never, never, never works out like you just tried to explain.

Yea, I don't actually "know" where these players will fall in the draft, but that would seem obvious, as I'm not psychic.

Who's copy and pasting a list of players and where they project in the draft? I'm listing players that I think could be possible options for the Patriots, where they might be available on the board, and where I think NE would be interested in selecting them.

This might be a news flash to you, but just about every NFL team creates a draft board, and ranks players according to where they would select them in the draft. The Patriots have had a giant board like this in their war room in the past, and they had a more developed version of their board on their PC's last year.

What "never, never, never works out" like I "just tried to explain"? I didn't try to explain anything. I gave a few possible moves they could make (that trade down with the Bears), and projected some players that (in my opinion) could be options for the Patriots where they would select in the draft. It was basically an extended mock/mini draft board.

Seventh. I have about three more points but I am getting bored. To boil it all down, you must give yourself the opportunity to draft the best person to fill the holes on your team.

There is no need listen to some dream fantasy football draft hack who makes up scenarios so his draft looks cool. That is not reality.

Again, you package together a bunch of obvious, and try to spin it off as a point of contention. Also, we don't actually know what the Patriots "holes" will be come draft day, and what "holes" they'll actually look to fill via the draft. I might think I have a general idea of what they'll do, but I'll never know exactly what they are going to do.

So because I put together a hypothetical scenario, and gave a list of possible Patriots prospects it makes me a "Fantasy football draft hack who makes up scenarios so his draft will look cool"? Sorry, but with that last remark you come off as a despicable clown who's simply trying to pick an argument.

Last edited:
I guess what I'm saying is Morris and Maroney can use twice as many carries as they'll probably get.

Between the two, we have every aspect of power, speed and elusiveness with big NFL bodies..

Pleeeeeeez. It ain't broke, don't fix it.

You're assuming that Morris will be completely healthy and perform on the same level in 2008. I hope your correct, but at this point I wouldn't assume this to be the case, especially since we haven't heard anything regarding his current status.

Shaun Alexander absolutely blows.

I have the displeasure of having a huge seahawks fan for a roommate so I get treated to all their games and his performances are laughable.

I love him being on the seahawks because it's just awesome material to use when giving my roommate a hard time.

I know the feeling, try going to school in the land of the squawk. I give them so much crap for SA. He is absolutely horrible and despise this idea! I don't know how many times this year I watched him try to run outside only to be stopped for a loss of two yards.

If we want to keep Willie Andrews on the team, can we put him in as a nickelbag or a dimebag in passing situations?

PFnV

If we want to keep Willie Andrews on the team, can we put him in as a nickelbag or a dimebag in passing situations?

PFnV

Aren't you afraid he'd get smoked in those schemes?

Alexander looked like an old man last season. At this point Sammy Morris has more to offer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back