PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Rumor: Tom Brady suffered a setback recently

Status
Not open for further replies.
It is clear to me now, that there is no way we are letting Cassel walk. I said it a few weeks ago and got ripped apart, but if this is true, it is obvious Cassel will be on our roster.

I'm hoping you're getting ripped apart again. Being any kind of definitive about the Cassel situation is asinine, but if one IS going to be definitive it should very likely lean toward him leaving. This is a ridiculous thread.

THIS IS WHAT I HAVE BEEN SAYING THE WHOLE TIME. i dont understand! i just reported what i heard because i thought people would want. instead people start calling me an "arse" or whatever else. i always say everything is speculation and in the original post i wrote that i didnt know how true it was. people dont read posts and read little snip its and comment on everything

Ok, I hear ya.

Everyone needs to know that Brady's condition is an emotional issue for all Pats fans and Patsfans ;) - so as these "updates" and "setback" rumors begin to surface, the level of emotional response will continue to get exponentially higher - as seen today, in this thread.

We all want the same thing - We all may not think that the path to getting there is the same - but in the end we all want Brady back and Value from Cassel (whether from Playing in a Patriot Uni or on Draft Day.)

here is exactly what i said. this is from my original post

I said it a few weeks ago and got ripped apart, but if this is true, it is obvious Cassel will be on our roster.

Even if it is true, it isn't obvious that Cassel will be on the roster. It could be true and still not set Brady's return timeline beyond the start of the season. You are jumping to a big conclusion there.

Even if Brady is going to start the season on the PUP, there is no guarantee that Cassel will be on the team next season. Belichick could decide that the draft pick compensation and the cap savings is too much to pass up and feels that O'Connell is ready to take over the reigns. You assume too much.

Personally, even if we downgrade the QB from Cassel to O'Connell or a veteran like Garcia, this team could may actually be a better team without Brady or Cassel because they can significantly upgrade the defense with an extra first and nearly $15 million of additional cap space. If they can get their defense back to a top defense in this league, they may only need a game manager at QB to run the offense. With Cassel on the roster, the Pats are significantly hindered to improve other areas of the team that are in significant need of an upgrade.

Ok, I hear ya.

Everyone needs to know that Brady's condition is an emotional issue for all Pats fans and Patsfans ;) - so as these "updates" and "setback" rumors begin to surface, the level of emotional response will continue to get exponentially higher - as seen today, in this thread.

We all want the same thing - We all may not think that the path to getting there is the same - but in the end we all want Brady back and Value from Cassel (whether from Playing in a Patriot Uni or on Draft Day.)

hence the unchanged title of this thread: rumor

but if one IS going to be definitive it should very likely lean toward him leaving. This is a ridiculous thread.

why? please explain

Even if it is true, it isn't obvious that Cassel will be on the roster. It could be true and still not set Brady's return timeline beyond the start of the season. You are jumping to a big conclusion there.

Even if Brady is going to start the season on the PUP, there is no guarantee that Cassel will be on the team next season. Belichick could decide that the draft pick compensation and the cap savings is too much to pass up and feels that O'Connell is ready to take over the reigns. You assume too much.

Personally, even if we downgrade the QB from Cassel to O'Connell or a veteran like Garcia, this team could may actually be a better team without Brady or Cassel because they can significantly upgrade the defense with an extra first and nearly $15 million of additional cap space. If they can get their defense back to a top defense in this league, they may only need a game manager at QB to run the offense. With Cassel on the roster, the Pats are significantly hindered to improve other areas of the team that are in significant need of an upgrade.

so in a league where the entire History of the league indicates there is no one system where QBs have been coming in and performed at an All-Pro level, we all here at Patsfans.com agree that we should trade Matt Cassel because Brady might be healthy enough to play and we have Kevin O'Connell or could sign Jeff Garcia? I just dont feel that confident. Additionally, rookies tend to come in this league and not perform at such high levels. Jerod Mayo is the exception, not the norm. so, with draft picks we all think we can resolidify our defense next year? and, we all think that next year the same type of offer will not be on the table ?

No it's not. If Tom Brady were out for ALL of 2009 it wouldn't be obvious Cassel would remain on the roster. The team may have a higher opinion of Kevin O'Connell for all we know.

Agreed. Even if Brady announced his retirement tomorrow, it isn't obvious that Cassel will be on the roster in 2009. Either scenario increase the likelihood immensly, but doesn't neccessarily guarantee it.

Someone's trying real hard here to convince the world that the Patriots should flat out refuse the TWO FIRST ROUND PICKS theyre about to jack some other team out of. And that Matt Cassel, a fine young fellow, but a guy who didnt even get us to the playoffs with the LEAGUE"S EASIEST SCHEDULE, is worth 14.5 MILLION BUCKS. Im not buyin' it. Something seriously stinks here.

Additionally, rookies tend to come in this league and not perform at such high levels. Jerod Mayo is the exception, not the norm. so, with draft picks we all think we can resolidify our defense next year?

Keeping Cassel won't help resolidify the defense, either, so that doesn't help your argument.

and, we all think that next year the same type of offer will not be on the table ?

The reason Cassel is such a hot commodity is not merely because of his intrinsic value, but his value compared to the other QBs available. This may be the worst year to need a QB in over a decade--next year looks much more promising for finding a QB.

so in a league where the entire History of the league indicates there is no one system where QBs have been coming in and performed at an All-Pro level, we all here at Patsfans.com agree that we should trade Matt Cassel because Brady might be healthy enough to play and we have Kevin O'Connell or could sign Jeff Garcia? I just dont feel that confident. Additionally, rookies tend to come in this league and not perform at such high levels. Jerod Mayo is the exception, not the norm. so, with draft picks we all think we can resolidify our defense next year? and, we all think that next year the same type of offer will not be on the table ?

Again, Belichick is going to evaluate his short term and long term benefits of keeping Cassel. He isn't just making decisions for four to six weeks of the 2009 season. If Belichick feels that there is a possibility of Brady missing up to six games but should be back before mid-season, he may feel that he can build the team up this offseason (he has done it before just look at the 2007 offseason where he rebuilt the entire receiving corp and added Adalius Thomas on defense) and weather the storm for a month with either O'Connell or a veteran.

Maybe Belichick doesn't think Cassel is as good as he looked last year and he could take a step backwards after other teams have had an entire offseason to look at his game films. He may determine it is better to trade him while he is a hot commodity.

I can think of plenty of reasons why Belichick MAY decide to trade Cassel no matter the uncertainty of Brady's rehab. To say that Belichick will "obviously" do something in regards to Cassel is a little silly since none of us know if what Francesca said is true or even if it is true how bad the setback may be.

Re: Rumor: Tom Brady Suffered a Setback recently

I'm sure he'll feel much better once Cassel's trade is finished.

This is the correct answer.

/thread.

It's now 2.5 hours after the original post. There is still nothing on JetsInsider, GangGreen, JetsNation, the Giants message board I checked earlier, Reiss, Wfan's forum, or anywhere else that I've checked.

I'm sure Francessa would be the 1st to know, from Brady's doctors of all people, that he suffered another setback. This is BS to fill air time during a slow period on the NFL calendar.

even as a Colts fan, I want Brady back. We need our rivalry to heat up again. Plus, we also need someone to shut the Steelers up because they didnt deserve this past Super Bowl by any means. I would have rather saw Matt beat them in the playoffs then see the Steelers and their classless fans steal their 6th Super Bowl...

It's now 2.5 hours after the original post. There is still nothing on JetsInsider, GangGreen, JetsNation, the Giants message board I checked earlier, Reiss, Wfan's forum, or anywhere else that I've checked.
Not to mention PFT which would surely be all over this one . . .

Just because you had an ACL injury is not the same as what Brady had. He is reporting what he heard and it's being blown out of preportion.

Actually, it is very much the same. The rehab is the same. What they look for is the same. The stability. The Flexion. The extension. Thanks for throwing your two sense in. Now, go back and read his post again because he did not JUST report what he heard. He made exaggerated speculation without knowing a damn thing. Or can't you be bothered to read that far before rushing to his defense because the "big bad DaBruinz" is slamming him?

I e-mailed Mike Reiss and he replied back that he had heard nothing.

My sentiments.. much ado about nothing.. so far there is no link and the best we can do is that Francesca owns horses with Parcells.. there is no other source.. how would Parcells know???
Maybe one of the horses knows...

billdog3484 said:
(1) If you read my posts instead of the quotes people have on me you would hear that i said i dont know of any setbcks. all i posted was what i heard and speculated on that.

Well, the person I took your post from quoted you entirely. So I did read your post. Then, I quoted your post. Maybe you should stop lying and deluding yourself about what other people do and don't do.

billdog3484 said:
(2) im pretty certain that i have had double, if not triple the athletic experience, ability and knowledge than you ever had. I have suffered major injuries, none to my ACL. HOWEVER, having played on a college football team for 4 years, I know quite a few people who have had ACL injuries. I do know of one experience where one of my good friends was rehabbing, and doing light hang cleans, which im sure you dont even know what are, the presssure caused a major setback.

Whiny people yourself always claim they have more of everything than someone else. Well, I hate to break this to you, but you've not shown one IOTA of athletic knowledge or experience based on your posts. As for your dumb claim, considering you don't know me from a hole in the wall, its truly pathetic and really something that only an internet toughguy would say. Now, what you HAVE shown is complete BS exaggeration and unfounded speculation. So, please continue with your stupid, ignorant posts. Show everyone how "smart" you are by posting BS rumors that can't even be substantiated by NUMEROUS other sources. Sources such as ESPN, JetsInsiders, TheGangGreen, etc, who would be ALL OVER any rumor about Brady.

As for Light Hang Cleans, why would Brady be doing those? Answer. He wouldn't. They aren't needed for his athletic skill set as a QB. Not to mention that any IDIOT knows that you shouldn't be doing hang cleans of ANY type until your knee was 100%. As you said, the pressure can cause a major set back. Typically, in ACL therapy, they'd have you doing inclined squats on a squat bench or Nautilus at low weight and high reps to start with. The reason being is that the bench or Nautilus have hand stops that you can grab and pull in the even you feel your legs giving out. After you show good form on the lower weights, they work you up from there as long as there wasn't any inflammation.

billdog3484 said:
now, im not saying Brady suffered a major setback, but that Francessa reported that. To get on my post reporting this news, shows you are some sort of nitwit with nothing better to do. you dont even read my posts and comment on pieces of quotes people copy and paste then subsequently comment on. how do you have any idea of what i am saying? then you go and comment on it?????? i will gladly have a conversation, a friendly one. but time after time you have proven to be incapable of such a thing. you wrote me a private email telling me that i am a loser. how so? because i disagree with you and stood up to the fact that you continuously call people idiots? you didnt respond. to me, if i write something to someone, i will read what they wrote, and respond. you did not. so, this just shows me you are incapable of sitting down and having a conversation with someone who disagrees with you because there is not enough intellectual background to have a constructive argumentative conversation . but of course you will never see this post so, if someone wants, cut and paste it for him

1) What you said was that Francesca reported that Brady had a setback. You didn't say anything about it being major or minor. In fact, here is your quote.
billdog3484 said:
Mike Francessa reported on 660 WFAN New York today at around 1:05pm that he was told Brady suffered another setback earlier this week. He said that doctors are the ones who told him this. I have been trying to find other sources to confirm this, but have not found any. He did not say what type of setback, or how severe a setback he suffered if he did in fact re-injure himself.

It is clear to me now, that there is no way we are letting Cassel walk. I said it a few weeks ago and got ripped apart, but if this is true, it is obvious Cassel will be on our roster.

2) You made a pathetic attempt to use Francesca's report as an "SEE, I'm RIGHT" to show up the people who ripped you apart weeks ago. Unfortunately for you, people saw what it was because you made it plainly obvious. Had you just said.. "Could this mean that the Patriots aren't going to let Cassel walk?" then you could have been justified. But you didn't and aren't.

3) I don't continuously call people idiots. I only call those who earn the title by that name. You happen to be one of them.

4) You really shouldn't LIE abouts PMs or what people post. Its very easy to prove you wrong. As it happens, I have the PM I sent you (sent on 1-4-2009 at 8:25 AM) and I didn't call you a loser. I called you a hypocrite because of your whining in that one particular thread. And it was for you getting your panties in a wad over my posts about Lifer. Yet, others were doing the same thing and you said nothing. As for the mail you sent me, why would I respond? I've put you on ignore because, typically, you aren't worth talking to. Because of posts like the one you started this thread with. You'll note that its only when people respond to you and start taking you to task that I throw my two cents in as well.

5) I am perfectly capable of sitting down and having conversations with people. I do so all the time. And even with people who disagree with me. You know why? Because they rely on facts to support their argument. They don't offer up half-assed speculation as their support and expect people to take it as fact. They also don't go and over-exaggerate reality in some vain attempt to make some modicum of a point. And, unlike you, they are willing to admit they were wrong.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back