PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Rumor: Tom Brady suffered a setback recently

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Rumor: Tom Brady Suffered a Setback recently

That said, with all due respect to the OP, I'm not buying this, for two reasons:
(1) Why aren't they talking about this over on JESTInsider.com? They should be positively salivating.
Still nothing there or on the Gang Green board. I don't know . . . seems like something would be there.

Someone who cares about this should drop an email to WEEI and let them check into it.

im just posting what i heard. you guys can take it for what its worth, but i know what i heard. i hope its incorrect. i want more than anything to have Brady to come back. but if he suffered a setback, i am certain we have no option but to keep Cassel. I personally think that even if there was no setback we should keep him, but if there is another injury, then we will

Francessa has co owned racehorses with Bill PArcells, he is pretty well connected and not prone to sensationalism.

I hope he is wrong on this.
Francessa "not prone to sensationalism?" Must be another Francessa than the one I know from the Fan...

you are missing the point. the point is brady is obviously not getting healthy as fast as we thought. he is suffering more setbacks than we would like. you cannot trade a QB who was as successful as Cassel for draft picks. your line of thinking is absurd. you need QBs to win in this league. and as much as Oconnell might be good, he is an unknown quantity. if this report is true, theres no way we even consider trading cassell. its all speculation on both our parts, but the reasoning i am using is clearly much stronger than yours

Until I see something that says he has suffered a major setback, I will not be changing my mind any time soon. Fact of the matter is that with this type of injury, you will have a few setbacks along the way. I don't believe this report that I cannot verify if you even got the correct story or Francessa actually has real information if he said it or that even if Francessa has real inform that this setback wasn't to be expected and not a really big deal.

I do agree it is absurd not to have a $14.6 million back up QB for insurance for the unlikely event Brady doesn't return. It is only $14.6 million for piece of mind and a mighty great as a clip board holder. Of course you reasoning is clearer because it makes perfect sense that the second highest paid player on the team is a guy who on game day has the primary responsibilty to hold the clipboard for O'brien and Belichick.

it's going to be a long offseason

doctors do not have the authority to provide that information without the consent of the patient.........so either someone is full of it, or there will be a lawsuit

First of all who gives a crap?? This team with Matt Cassell at QB is still better than the Jest and the everyone else in the AFC east. I'd like to do some ratical speculation here for a second. Lets just say that TB is down for all of next year and that all the reports to the negative are true. Do you really think that this team would not compete for the SB with Cassell as its QB?? Please the problem last year was not the offense it was the Defense. Tell me Seymour and ADT are out next year and I am a little more nervous. Not that TB is not the ****, he is but they have already proven they can be one of the best teams in the league without him. second half of the season last year they were a team no one wanted to play. Including your NFC champions. Guys relax this team will still be one of if not the best in the league

Last edited:

its all wagging the dog...........to maximize the cassel trade value

BTW, even if Francessa is reporting this, why is it OBVIOUS that Brady is not progressing as fast as we want him to be? Francessa is just a another story of a story that has many conflicting surgeries. Just because Brady suffered a setback doesn't mean he will be set back to miss the start of the season. Even if he is required to lay off rehab for a week or two, he can regain that time on the back end.

It is obvious to you because you are on the "the Pats MUST keep Cassel" kick. You look to be looking at anything to support your case as huge eventhough by your own admission Francessa didn't say if it was a minor or major setback.

I personally think that unless the Pats know Brady is going to miss significant time during the season like a half or more, they will trade Cassel and go with O'Connell or a veteran. $14.6 million and the loss of the draft pick compensation is too much to give up if there is a potential that Brady may miss a game or two.

its all wagging the dog...........to maximize the cassel trade value

I suspect this is the case. Rob0729 is entirely correct, there is little likelihood that Brady's physicians would be violating federal HIPA (patient privacy) laws and risking their licenses and livelihoods be leaking stuff to the press. Much more likely that someone non-medical is leaking a "medical rumor" to create a story, whether it's the Pats or the press. I wouldn't put any value on this.

better cue up the trade brady thread again

My sentiments.. much ado about nothing.. so far there is no link and the best we can do is that Francesca owns horses with Parcells.. there is no other source.. how would Parcells know???

Francessa is one of Parcells best friends, they own horses together.

I clearly remember him saying that BB was a fool to "buy the bag of goods" that Robert Kraft was selling, and that BB would regret going to the Patriots and not staying as the "HC of the NYJ"....

Seems to me like a guy like Reiss would have this before these cats if it were real Pats news, no?

You said it. I'm sure if Brady sneezes, there will be threads that he he got gangrene from his staff infection and he only has a week to live.

Ok, because the OP was so earnest about this, I checked 3 jets boards and a giant board. None of them have any thread on this. WEEI hasn't reported this. There are no comments about it on the WFAN fan forum. Reiss doesn't have anything on it, and there is nothing on the NFL.com website.

So, for the moment, I think I'll assume that billdog misheard what was said. Perhaps there was a "what if?" sort of thing being asked by Francessa, or something like that. By no means am I saying that billdog is deliberately posting bad information, or even that the information is wrong. I'm simply saying that there's been no sign of this anywhere that I've seen.

Last edited:

you are missing the point. the point is brady is obviously not getting healthy as fast as we thought. he is suffering more setbacks than we would like. you cannot trade a QB who was as successful as Cassel for draft picks. your line of thinking is absurd. you need QBs to win in this league. and as much as Oconnell might be good, he is an unknown quantity. if this report is true, theres no way we even consider trading cassell. its all speculation on both our parts, but the reasoning i am using is clearly much stronger than yours

cassel didnt get the patriots into the playoffs

Billdog, I have no doubt as to what you heard. However, let's first consider the source; Francesca is (a) a Jets fan, and (b) a sports talk radio host. Sports talk radio is not about truth; it's about controversy and ratings. Well respected or not, if you look back at what any sports talk radio host in any market has said in the past, you will find many half-truths or untruths stated.

Second, why would Brady's doctor be talking on (or even off) the record to any sports talk radio host? Not only are they bound by their profession to not talk about it or risk losing their license, there are also now legal (hipaa act) ramifications for permitting a patients information to become public.

If indeed a doctor did say something to Francesca, it is either (a) a re-hash of the same information that has already come out; that there was some infection, etc., or (b) Brady and/or the Pats getting this information out for some purpose (throw other teams off the trail, personal amusement, whatever.)

Rehabbing Brady on track for 2009 opener - The Boston Globe

Depending on what you take from this article by Gasper a few days ago, you can take that as good news ("on pace in his rehab") or bad news ("laxity in the MCL and stiffness in the joint) - this could also be a different spin of the same information, too.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back