PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Rumor: Seymour Trade Not A Done Deal?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Makes sense- I know that's how it works in the NBA. Just this past season, the Hornets tried to trade Tyson Chandler, and the whole deal got voided because he failed his physical.

Quick search turned up this precedent:

Indy.com | Post: Bills DT McCargo fails Colts physical, trade void | Indianapolis, Indiana

That article makes it seem like the requirements of passing a physical depend on what is specifically outlined in the trade itself (so not a CBA issue)- which means that it is possible that this requirement wouldn't have been included.

That said, I'd be willing to bet that it's a standard clause in all trades, as it prevents teams from screwing someone over by unloading players with undisclosed injuries. If that's the case, then the trade is likely contingent on Seymour taking (and passing) a physical.

Last edited:
from what iheard on nfln ..until seymour passes physical and reports to oak its a patriots problem. the pats can give him a 5 day notice to report ending which he is put on a reserve list for this yr and has to play the next yr in the same contract. i dont see seymour coming back to the pats at any cost.
eugene parker is his agent so you interpret what he is doing....

Re: Cable on Seymour: Not a done deal

I think this all makes sense. Cable says Seymour wants to be a Raider and that the hold up is on the Pats end. What he doesn't say is Seymour doesn't want to be franchised and will not report unless that's guaranteed. Now Oakland wants to renegotiate the deal for a lower pick knowing they'll lose Seymour at the end of the season. Thus Cable says the hold up is on the Pats end.

Great insight. When I heard Seymour's agent talking about not being franchised a few alarm bells went off. I don't really care if the Raiders franchise Seymour right now. That's a Seymour problem, not a NE problem. But you figure Seymour is a little less than enthusiastic about up rooting his family from the Boston area to move to Oakland or spending the week in Oakland seeing them only on Mondays or Tuesdays. I'm sure he and his agent will want to make sure they get every concession they can from Oakland and there's where it could get sticky. The trade will still go down but we're in for ESPN style drama in the mean time.

One of the Oakland area posters to one the threads on PFT says that there is no story. He claims that word from a close source says that Seymour just wanted some time to close out some things in the New England area with his family during labour day. He plans to take the physical on Tuesday.

One of the Oakland area posters to one the threads on PFT says that there is no story. He claims that word from a close source says that Seymour just wanted some time to close out some things in the New England area with his family during labour day. He plans to take the physical on Tuesday.

This makes the most sense.

He has three children just starting the school year tomorrow fer crying out loud.

These people are human beings. You can't expect them to easily uproot themselves within 24 hours in those situations.

This makes the most sense.

He has three children just starting the school year tomorrow fer crying out loud.

These people are human beings. You can't expect them to easily uproot themselves within 24 hours in those situations.

School offices are closed today...may not be able to get their transfer papers/transcripts until tomorrow at the earliest.

Reporters making a mountain out of a molehill...there's something original :rolleyes:

School offices are closed today...may not be able to get their transfer papers/transcripts until tomorrow at the earliest.

Reporters making a mountain out of a molehill...there's something original :rolleyes:

I am kind of surprised that many of those "journalists" are not even taking consideration of the family-moving-logistics angle. As a parent, I can definitely sympathize with the Seymours regarding the fact that their children's first day of school is tomorrow and all of a sudden dad unexpectantly now has to pull up and move to the West Coast within hours is a bit of a monkey wrench.

I am kind of surprised that many of those "journalists" are not even taking consideration of the family-moving-logistics angle. As a parent, I can definitely sympathize with the Seymours regarding the fact that their children's first day of school is tomorrow and all of a sudden dad unexpectantly now has to pull up and move to the West Coast within hours is a bit of a monkey wrench.

Worst case scenario, Seymour agrees to play with the Raiders with the exception that they will not franchise him in 2010. So instead of his family potentially moving twice they will move once when Seymour eventually signs him long term deal with the Raiders or another team.

This seems a very reasonable result for Seymour and his family.

Worst case scenario, Seymour agrees to play with the Raiders with the exception that they will not franchise him in 2010. So instead of his family potentially moving twice they will move once when Seymour eventually signs him long term deal with the Raiders or another team.

He has 5 days to report.

If you were the Raiders, would you sign that agreement. Basically sealing the biggest hose job in NFL history. A one year rental of a pro-bowler so that you can win 4 games, in exchange for what might be a top 10 pick that will likely have a major impact on your team for the better part of a decade.

Even the Raiders aren't that dumb.

then what?

If I were him, I'd take as much of the 5 days I need to get my family in order and ready for the school year/eventual move, etc. then I would show up.

Why should he dump his family any quicker than necessary so that he could impress Al Davis and his new head coach Rocky Graziano?

That being said, if he does not report in the 5 day period, he's messing with bigger problems.

The open question is whether Seymour is willing to make a future in Oakland for the next couple of years. If not, as Samuel did, and as Harrison recommended, he may not report until he has a signed agreement of no-franchise for 2010. I think that he is only risking game checks for the first six weeks.

If I were him, I'd take as much of the 5 days I need to get my family in order and ready for the school year/eventual move, etc. then I would show up.

Why should he dump his family any quicker than necessary so that he could impress Al Davis and his new head coach Rocky Graziano?

That being said, if he does not report in the 5 day period, he's messing with bigger problems.

He has 5 days to report.

Says who? If the Patriots send him the letter than it pretty voids the trade and he is back with New England.

First of all, we are getting ahead of ourselves because we don't know the specifics of the trade. Specifically, what would happen if he doesn't report and refuses to play for the Raiders? What team is responsible for him not reporting? If the Raiders were smart, they would have a clause in the trade stating the trade would void if the player fails to report. Otherwise, it's out of the Pats hands at this point.

Last edited:
Says who?

First of all, we are getting ahead of ourselves because we don't know the specifics of the trade. Specifically, what would happen if he doesn't report and refuses to play for the Raiders? What team is responsible for him not reporting? If the Raiders were smart, they would have a clause in the trade stating the trade would void if the player fails to report. Otherwise, it's out of the Pats hands at this point.

Belichick wouldn't sign a contract that places it's fulfillment solely in the hands of the player. That would be silly. The league office has approved the trade. Seymour is a Raider.

Do you really think that teams write new trade agreements every time they make a trade. There are standard contracts that each team uses. And yes, special clauses could be added.

Says who?

Belichick wouldn't sign a contract that places it's fulfillment solely in the hands of the player. That would be silly. The league office has approved the trade. Seymour is a Raider.

Unless the physical is waived, the deal is not final.

Just posted this in another Seymour thread (Have to hit them all)-
The league office approved the trade Sunday afternoon. It becomes official once Seymour passes a physical with the Raiders.

If he opts against showing up in Oakland, the Raiders could void the deal and get back their first-round pick. They also have the right to send Seymour a formal letter informing him of his obligation to report within five days or risk being placed on the Reserve/Left Squad List, as provided for in the Collective Bargaining Agreement.

http://www.insidebayarea.com/raiders/ci_13287895?source=rss

Last edited:
Unless the physical is waived, the deal is not final.

Well BB wouldn't try to pull the wool over Davis' eyes by trading an injured Seymour. In NFL trades the physical is pretty much just going through the motions. It is true though that he does have to pass a physical.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots