PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Rumor: Seymour Trade Not A Done Deal?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Cable on Seymour: Not a done deal

Transalation: Everyone in the Oakland Front Office, except one, is trying to have the League office void this trade because of senile dementia on the part of one of the participants.

Transalation: Everyone in the Oakland Front Office, except one, is trying to have the League office void this trade because of senile dementia on the part of one of the participants.

That's pretty much the opposite of what the article actually says...

All but one,are desperately checking the bus schedules for Michael Crabtree........"What!.....we didn't draft him?..when did THAT happen?"

In a loosly related story, Al Davis get's reunited with his long lost son.
al_davis_and_darth_davis_2.jpg

I think this all makes sense. Cable says Seymour wants to be a Raider and that the hold up is on the Pats end. What he doesn't say is Seymour doesn't want to be franchised and will not report unless that's guaranteed. Now Oakland wants to renegotiate the deal for a lower pick knowing they'll lose Seymour at the end of the season. Thus Cable says the hold up is on the Pats end.

I think this all makes sense. Cable says Seymour wants to be a Raider and that the hold up is on the Pats end. What he doesn't say is Seymour doesn't want to be franchised and will not report unless that's guaranteed. Now Oakland wants to renegotiate the deal for a lower pick knowing they'll lose Seymour at the end of the season. Thus Cable says the hold up is on the Pats end.

good analysis......this has been tried before.....it's gonna be a friggin' mess,I know it.

Does anyone know if sign-and-trade deals are allowed in the NFL per the CBA? If so, has one ever been done?

I'm wondering if hearing of this trade it's difficulties has brought in a late, better offer from another team...

Seymour's rights were traded to Oakland. They now hold his rights. If he doesn't go, then he doesn't play and he forfeits his salary and still owes them a year...

Because all trades hinge on the player showing up and passing a physical, Seymour wouldn't become a Raider unless he enters the building. Thus, it apparently would fall back to the Patriots to take action against Seymour aimed at coaxing him to honor the last year of his current contract.

What if Richard Seymour doesn't show in Oakland? | ProFootballTalk.com

NFL spokesman Michael Signora has outlined for us the procedure that would apply, if Seymour stays away.

The precise protocol is determined by the terms of the trade. "Traditionally the first condition is that the trade is contingent upon the player or players reporting and passing a physical," Signora said.

If the player doesn't report, the two teams can try to come up with a new agreement, or the trade could be called off.

If the trade conditions the transaction on Seymour reporting, the Pats would be the team sending the five-day letter. If the Pats and the Raiders re-work the deal, the Raiders could in theory acquire Seymour's rights without Seymour actually reporting, just as the Buccaneers did a couple of years ago with quarterback Jake Plummer.

What if Richard Seymour doesn't show in Oakland? | ProFootballTalk.com

Every player has options, they just hardly ever look into them because 99.9% of them want money. Until Seymour agrees with the trade, the Pats have nothing in return. I hope your not surprised if the Pats have to settle for less or the deal is completely called off.

Last edited:

I'm wondering if hearing of this trade it's difficulties has brought in a late, better offer from another team...

You mean......Redskins?

Does anyone know if sign-and-trade deals are allowed in the NFL per the CBA? If so, has one ever been done?

Not sure, but I think Jared Allen might be an example of that? Not sure how that worked out specifically, but the Vikings negotiated his extension in tandem with trading for him.

You mean......Redskins?

Didn't have anyone in mind, but it might be there is a way for the Pats to get out of the deal for a different trade. I really think there's now NO way Seymour plays here this year, no matter what happens.

Seymour doesn't have a lot of leverage except a threat to retire. Obviously, the Pats are already prepared to play without him.

That's pretty much the opposite of what the article actually says...

No. It's the opposite of what COACH CABLE says.

Don't confuse the two.

Last edited:

Seymour doesn't have a lot of leverage except a threat to retire. Obviously, the Pats are already prepared to play without him.

Yup. Considering Cable is looking at possible assault charges for haymaking an assistant and breaking his jaw, it's likely he's trying to divert attention by rumormongering.

Not sure, but I think Jared Allen might be an example of that? Not sure how that worked out specifically, but the Vikings negotiated his extension in tandem with trading for him.

I wonder if Sey's agent is trying to work something like that out.

uh,uh.......Seymour could simply not report to Oakland,at all.
In that case,the raiders are out of the equation,and it becomes a Patriot problem,as the deal would become null and void,until either reported or retired.

And BTW......anybody who thinks it's impossible that Seymour would refuse to report and retired is missing on his history.

Big family man,who lives here,murdered parents and he has kind of a childish,petulant side to him.
So,IMHO,it's not impossible.

I think that if he chooses not to show, we get the pick and he is the Raiders problem.
Yes, the TO situation was different, and Im pretty such the Plummer deal had that contingency in it. I am not aware of a condition that he must report in this deal.
Its dangerous to use a past example as proof when the circumstances differ.

When will he be considered late? Would a player of his stature be likely to find out he's been traded on Sunday and then practice 3000 miles away on Monday? This ain't Baseball where there's prolly 100 guys with a bag packed during the 4th week of July.

I think that if he chooses not to show, we get the pick and he is the Raiders problem.
Yes, the TO situation was different, and Im pretty such the Plummer deal had that contingency in it. I am not aware of a condition that he must report in this deal.
Its dangerous to use a past example as proof when the circumstances differ.

According to SFGate:

Until Seymour takes and passes a physical with the Raiders, there is no finalized deal. The Raiders do not when that will happen.

SFGate: Raiders Silver and Black Blog

This just in!! Cheapskate Rex Ryan just trades 3 1st round draft picks to Raiders for Seymour so that he can get the Patriots defensive playbook!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes