PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Rumor: Seymour Trade Not A Done Deal?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Man, you really hate it when I beat you to the punch, don't you? Try thinking back to prior transactions like Plummer and Owens. Until Seymour actually steps foot in Oaklands' facility, he's still the Pats problem. Players usually accept the trades because they want to get paid. Plummer decided to retire so the Bucs and Broncos worked out something else. Owens flat out refused to play for the Ravens so they were forced to trade him elsewhere and the 9ers received less compensation for him. If Seymour continues to put his foot down, the trade will either be rescinded or the Pats will get less than a 1st round pick for him.

Actually, the Plummer and Owens situations were different. But, you keep thinking otherwise.

Seymour's rights were traded to Oakland. They now hold his rights. If he doesn't go, then he doesn't play and he forfeits his salary and still owes them a year...

As for Plummer, TB still owned his rights after the deal. And Plummer stayed retired.

Much of the Problem with Owens was his understanding that he was a free agent..

Terrell Owens - Free Agent, Baltimore Raven or Philadelphia Eagle?

The situation with Owens was significantly more complex than just a simple "Owens refused to go to the Ravens."

Hypothetical Question:

If Seymour does not report and gets put on a DNR list of some sort, he loses his salary until next year (if he reports then). However, does the $6.0million amortization also get carried over into next year? This would be significant, as the Pats would have an immediate bump up in this year's available cap of $6.0million that could be used to extend our own pending FAs. The $6.0million would go into the uncapped year.

I'n no capologist, and I am CBA-reading challenged...so forgive me if this is not reasonable.

If Seymour sits I doubt we get a #1. Until he reports, we have gotten nothing for the loss of his services.
He will play for us or the team he's traded to. Otherwise he gets no salary and no FA next year and that's not an option he'll choose.

The only way this trade doesn't go through is if Seymour was to flunk his physical with the Raiders and that's not happening because this is a contract year and the Big Overrated is always healthy and ready to go when the new money is there to play for. The Big Overrated can hold out as long as he wants. That would be the Raiders problem and it would be up to them to suspend him for the season without pay.

If Seymour were to hold out, then Seymour would not get paid this season. He also would not get credit for this season and would owe the Raiders a season of play as well.

The only way this trade doesn't go through is if Seymour was to flunk his physical with the Raiders and that's not happening because this is a contract year and the Big Overrated is always healthy and ready to go when the new money is there to play for. The Big Overrated can hold out as long as he wants. That would be the Raiders problem and it would be up to them to suspend him for the season without pay.

uh,uh.......Seymour could simply not report to Oakland,at all.
In that case,the raiders are out of the equation,and it becomes a Patriot problem,as the deal would become null and void,until either reported or retired.

And BTW......anybody who thinks it's impossible that Seymour would refuse to report and retired is missing on his history.

Big family man,who lives here,murdered parents and he has kind of a childish,petulant side to him.
So,IMHO,it's not impossible.

I tend to believe that all Seymour is interested in is the money and he doesn't get the big payday without playing this year.

And BTW......anybody who thinks it's impossible that Seymour would refuse to report and retired is missing on his history.

Big family man,who lives here,murdered parents and he has kind of a childish,petulant side to him.
So,IMHO,it's not impossible.
His parents were not murdered, his dad killed himself and his girlfriend.

I don't think there's a childish side to him, more of a sulking side, I have no doubt he will play this year. For Oakland, KC, or NE, I have no idea which.

His parents were not murdered, his dad killed himself and his girlfriend.

I don't think there's a childish side to him, more of a sulking side, I have no doubt he will play this year. For Oakland, KC, or NE, I have no idea which.

nitpicking point taken.....but it was a seriously traumatic event,was it not?

nitpicking point taken.....but it was a seriously traumatic event,was it not?
Traumatic, sure. But there's a significant difference in how you respond to your innocent parents being murdered vs. your dad killing someone and himself. But, yes, I'm sure it was stunning and traumatic.

Traumatic, sure. But there's a significant difference in how you respond to your innocent parents being murdered vs. your dad killing someone and himself. But, yes, I'm sure it was stunning and traumatic.

childish was a little too alliterative....I like your "sulking",better.
But,a grown man who exhibits this side of his personality is liable to do something petulant,like retiring.

It's just not impossible(double negative) with this type of person.

Cable on Seymour: Not a done deal

Of course, because he hasn't reported: SFGate: Raiders Silver and Black Blog but he has some issues w/Pats??

"We have attempted to make a deal," Cable said. "There are some issues still between him and the Patriots that are being worked out. Hoping that that will get resolved as quickly as possible. We know that the player wants to be here but we have really no control over those issues. So that's really all I'm going to talk about it for now."

Read more: http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/blogs/raiders/index#ixzz0QSbOt1KT

Also: http://twitter.com/bydavidwhite
Patriots official says he's unaware of any difficulties surrounding the trade, per AP. Getting very interesting.

Seymour is on the Raiders roster on their site though: Oakland Raiders

Last edited:
childish was a little too alliterative....I like your "sulking",better.
But,a grown man who exhibits this side of his personality is liable to do something petulant,like retiring.

It's just not impossible(double negative) with this type of person.
I'm no psychiatrist for sure - I have a feeling that he's upset because he's no longer in control. He got what he wanted when he held out. He's spoken his mind with no repercussions. Now the Patriots have called the bluff he's been playing for years, I doubt he wanted to leave but he could make this threat and that and come out smelling like a rose. But today he either goes to a new team or, after the 5 day letter, crawls back to the old team or sits out a year. I don't see him retiring but I see him shaken with his bluff called.

Re: Cable on Seymour: Not a done deal

Truly mysterious. But if Seymour wants to be there he'll probably end up there. What could possibly be the issues with the Patriots ?

Cables press Conf.

Cable: Real quickly about the Richard Seymour issue. We have attempted to make a deal. There are some issues still between him and the Patriots that are being worked out. Hoping that will be resolved as quickly as possible. We know that the player wants to be here, but we have no control really over those issues. That’s really all I’m going to talk about it for now.

Q: Can you tell us how you know he wants to be here? Have you spoken with him?

Cable: I have talked to him.

Q: So he said he wants to be here?

Cable: Yes.

Q: Is there a day you have to have him by to play in the opener?

Cable: As soon as possible. That’s really the only way to answer that right now.

Last edited:
Re: Cable on Seymour: Not a done deal

Here's the AP Story:

BC-FBN--Raiders-Seymour,0188
Seymour hasn't reported to Raiders following trade
Eds: APNewsNow.
ALAMEDA, Calif. (AP) - Five-time Pro Bowl defensive lineman
Richard Seymour has not reported to the Raiders a day after the New
England Patriots traded him to Oakland.
Coach Tom Cable said after practice Monday there were still
issues that needed to be worked out between Seymour and the
Patriots before the deal could be finalized. Cable said he has
talked to Seymour since the deal was announced Sunday and Seymour
told him he wants to play for the Raiders.
Patriots spokesman Stacey James said he was unaware of any
difficulties surrounding the trade of Seymour for a first-round
pick in the 2011 draft.

I'm no psychiatrist for sure - I have a feeling that he's upset because he's no longer in control. He got what he wanted when he held out. He's spoken his mind with no repercussions. Now the Patriots have called the bluff he's been playing for years, I doubt he wanted to leave but he could make this threat and that and come out smelling like a rose. But today he either goes to a new team or, after the 5 day letter, crawls back to the old team or sits out a year. I don't see him retiring but I see him shaken with his bluff called.

I wholeheartedly,agree.....good analysis......I think there is a 95% chance he'll report.But,that family trauma and that home and school thing with his kids,still leaves me with that 5% in the back of my head.

Maybe he'll get sent to the Jets, and that will wrap the Kerry Rhodes 'surprise' thread up nicely :p

What about that darn "suprise"?? anybody know what it is yet?

What about that darn "suprise"?? anybody know what it is yet?

The New Jersey jetsinsiders say it's a Kerry Rhodes for Brandon Marshall trade.I thinh it's a goof-twitter by Rhodes,but those psychos have about 300 replies to this thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes