PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Rumor: Ryan Mallet to Browns for 6th overall pick

I think we can all agree that BB was wrong on that occasion.
Hard to say. Having that extra elite WR hasn't led to the desired results for the Falcons, and there are some big holes elsewhere on that roster.

A 1st rounder for Mallet? Ryan Mallet has shown nothing and may be worth a 5th round pick at best. The Patriots got Randy Moss for a 4th rounder. Let's get real.

Not entirely comparable, since anyone trading for Moss had to absorb his salary at the time. Heck, they had to bring in Brady for an emergency restructure just to get it done.

Of course, I believe that convo went something like this:

Setting: Foxboro. Robert Kraft's office.
*BB dials Tom at home.*
Tom: Hello. Tom Brady speaking.
Foxboro: Hey, Tom. Bill and Bob here. We need you to come in and sign a restructure.
Tom: Why?
Foxboro: Well, we're about to trade for Randy Moss, but we need to clear up some salary cap room.
Tom: Randy Moss! Randy F***ing Moss!?!?
Foxboro: Yeah. How soon c—
*Tom runs into Kraft's office, pen in hand.*
Tom: Where do I sign? WHERE DO I SIGN?

:D

Um...'cause he sucks?? Just Sayin'!! :D

According to you who is not privy to his practice or anything other than what's televised or open to the public correct?

Mallett is rubbish. He's played poorly (bad footwork in moving in the pocket and setting up for his passes), he makes slow reads. A big arm can't solve everything.

If we ever got a price BB agreed with, we can use a pick to draft a new understudy, if Brady gets hurt, Mallett can't win the SB on his own, nor can this understudy for at least a couple of years.

I think it's impossible to determine what Mallett is. I do not see major footwork issues in this past preseason he appears to have improved that IMO. Regarding reads and decision making, that is flawed whenever your WR core is 3rd string and players not making the roster like he has played with in his preseason opportunities.

Brady also did not display anything special in the preseason as you likely remember we had major offensive line issues throughout the 4 game. I'd agree with this article by Bedard that the jury is still out.

http://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/2...progressing/DRxJbCSoqvxnKxudWExhzH/story.html

If Mallett is rubbish, why then was he our only backup last year? If he's so awful, why wouldn't NE take any draft pick for him instead of holding out for a 1 or a 2? I think our FO may have a higher opinion on him than some on this board.

That said, I think it unlikely we see any trade for him this year.

Please, Please get a scouting job with the Jets, or even better become their GM. They could really use your keen ability to judge football talent (you're obviously better than BB).

BB took a shot. He takes lots of shots. Mallett is a dog. BB is waiting for the right deal to move him.

BB took a shot. He takes lots of shots. Mallett is a dog. BB is waiting for the right deal to move him.

I wouldn't go as far as calling him a dog. We've ditched other QBs pretty quickly. Kevin O'Connell comes to mind. There were a lot of 3rd tier QBs on the market this off season. If BB didn't like Mallett he could have made a move for someone better than Kafka.

A 1st rounder for Mallet? Ryan Mallet has shown nothing and may be worth a 5th round pick at best. The Patriots got Randy Moss for a 4th rounder. Let's get real.

Latest rumors indicate that Nassib and noodle-armed Barkley could go in the top 10 and Mallet is worth a 5th at best? For every Randy Moss-like bargin, there is a Charlie Whitehurst-like heist. Please take your ball and go home.

I wouldn't go as far as calling him a dog. We've ditched other QBs pretty quickly. Kevin O'Connell comes to mind. There were a lot of 3rd tier QBs on the market this off season. If BB didn't like Mallett he could have made a move for someone better than Kafka.

BB knows this is a pathetic draft class for QB's. He knows he'll have to start paying Mallet real money after his rookie contract is done. He also knows that Mallet is never, ever going to be a SB winning QB, or even a top 10 QB.

Why cut Mallet for nothing? Build up his mystique/value (the whole Pats OC/Brady/BB thing, plus that arm of his, plus cutting Hoyer in favor of Mallet) and max his trade value, and pull the trigger when it's time. BB doesn't throw away value (perceived by others), why should he start now when he doesn't have to, and has no other alternative? Deal him before the draft, draft a QB if the right one is available, or perhaps trade back to next year for more value - BB will figure it out. If Brady is hurt, no Mallet, or drafted QB, or Kafka is leading this team to a SB win - it's who we have ready to go in 3 years that matters.

Besides winning another SB, and putting this franchise on the best footing possible - BB has no other goals in mind. Getting a QB with the best chance to carry on is very high on his sub list of putting this team on the best footing possible. Mallet has shown nothing but that arm (a few times) since he came that indicates that he's top flight in any way I can see. This isn't Steve Young following Montana. Mallet isn't even as good as Cassel was at the same stage. Best case he's Marc Wilson who is less athletic and clunkier in the pocket. No thanks.

Latest rumors indicate that Nassib and noodle-armed Barkley could go in the top 10 and Mallet is worth a 5th at best? For every Randy Moss-like bargin, there is a Charlie Whitehurst-like heist. Please take your ball and go home.

I doubt BB would deal Mallet for a 5th, better to hold out for next year. However if a pick above #70 should be offered, with perhaps a supplemental 3rd-6th next year, I'd drive Mallet to the airport.

How would any of you feel if, assuming Mallet gets dealt, the next backup QB of the NEP is Tim Tebow? :eek:

How would any of you feel if, assuming Mallet gets dealt, the next backup QB of the NEP is Tim Tebow? :eek:

Saw it written that the reason the Jets haven't released Tebow is because they're terrified the Pats will sign him and turn him into something.

I was just watching some of Gruden's QB camp on youtube and watched the old Ryan Mallett one. I don't know if he can play QB in the NFL, but I do know the guy has a great understanding of the game of football. He might not be the most likable person, but no QB I've seen on there was as good on the board as he was. I'm excited to see what he's got, whether its with the Pats in the preseason or with another team.

Not happening. He can't execute TB's offense in the least. BB isn't putting in two complete offenses (even a simple one built off of a special package). Plus the WR/TE crew's value to the team would plummet since Tebow is so totally awful as an NFL QB.

Not happening. He can't execute TB's offense in the least. BB isn't putting in two complete offenses (even a simple one built off of a special package). Plus the WR/TE crew's value to the team would plummet since Tebow is so totally awful as an NFL QB.

To be fair the OP said "turn him into something." Obviously that something would not be "starting QB." :)

Nobody can execute Brady's offense. Originally, Brady couldn't execute it either. However, I have no doubt about mallett being able to qb a top 5 nfl offense

EDIT: NVM.....you're talking tebow

Fine. Mallet's not winning the SB, so there's no real issue there, IMO.

To be fair the OP said "turn him into something." Obviously that something would not be "starting QB." :)

The something was "back-up QB". Since Tebow has no shot to replace TB if called on (what a back-up QB does). That's in fairness to me.

BB knows this is a pathetic draft class for QB's. He knows he'll have to start paying Mallet real money after his rookie contract is done. He also knows that Mallet is never, ever going to be a SB winning QB, or even a top 10 QB.

I agree with some of what you say; however, no one outside of the front office knows what BB really thinks of Mallet and his value. What we do know is that BB trusted Mallet with the # 2 spot and cut Hoyer. The Cardinals thought high enough of Hoyer to apply the 2nd round tender on him.

Now I'm not saying Mallet is worth a 2nd round pick or anything close to that, but BB clearly values the back up spot at a 3rd round value. He drafted Kevin O'Connell in the 3rd to compete with Cassell but it didn't work out. He drafted Mallet in the 3rd round to compete with Hoyer, and Mallet met or possibly exceeded BB's expectation, as evident by the promotion. Just pointing out what we do know about Mallet, and I don't see BB trading his only trusted back up QB whom he took in the 3rd round; without another one ready to take his place, unless the value is high enough to warrant the risk.

IMO everyone should expect to see Mallet in training camp wearing silver and blue.

I agree with some of what you say; however, no one outside of the front office knows what BB really thinks of Mallet and his value. What we do know is that BB trusted Mallet with the # 2 spot and cut Hoyer. The Cardinals thought high enough of Hoyer to apply the 2nd round tender on him.

BB was going to have to start paying Hoyer real money. Mallet is like a 7' 1" Center of whom it is said you can't coach height, of Mallet it is said/seen that his arm is no joke - but the rest? Not impressed yet.

Now I'm not saying Mallet is worth a 2nd round pick or anything close to that, but BB clearly values the back up spot at a 3rd round value

So wait... nobody has any way of knowing what BB thinks, but you KNOW that BB values him as a 3rd round value. Cool trick!

He drafted Kevin O'Connell in the 3rd to compete with Cassell but it didn't work out. He drafted Mallet in the 3rd round to compete with Hoyer, and Mallet met or possibly exceeded BB's expectation, as evident by the promotion.

Or didn't, how do you know? All I have for sources is my eyes on his play since he got here and a friend of 40 years that's an x Pat player and talking head - and he doesn't like him either - as a player.

Just pointing out what we do know about Mallet, and I don't see BB trading his only trusted back up QB whom he took in the 3rd round; without another one ready to take his place, unless the value is high enough to warrant the risk.

I object to your use of the word "trusted" in the same way I object to the word truth in Russian as it applies to the Communist era paper "Pravda". It's propaganda being slipped in as if it's the truth. It's disingenuous at best, and a flat lie at worst.

IMO everyone should expect to see Mallet in training camp wearing silver and blue.

Everyone should expect to see him elsewhere by Game 1 of the 2014 season.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes
Back