PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Rumor: Preseason games may give way to live scrimmages

Status
Not open for further replies.
No complaints here.

What's the difference between a pre-season exhibition game and a live scrimmage? Aren't those basically the same thing?

hard to believe that the NFL owners would want to give up four pre-season games worth of ticket sales and concessions.

Oh, I'm sure the intent would be to make the scrimmages open to the public complete with concessions and parking fees. Charge 60% of the exhibition game price, get 3 scrimmages a week, they come out ahead. Of course they'll probably try to charge 100% of the price.

Very conflicted. On one hand less injuries before the season. But on the other hand, will it lead to more injuries in the regular season due to lack of conditioning?

I would just cut the preseason games in half. One game for dress rehearsal, one to get the roster bubble players a shot to show that they can contribute.

Crazy! Harbaby complains again. And he gets his way, again? Holy crap that's messed up!

What's the difference between a pre-season exhibition game and a live scrimmage? Aren't those basically the same thing?

The difference is a game is an actual football game, a scrimmage is more like "let's run 60 plays on each side". Based on first hand experience, the coaches might be right on the field too.

Say the result of a play is an INT then the ball doesn't necessarily go to the other team, the offense just runs their next play.

It's more for practicing situations like in camp or practice..except you're practicing against the other team's offensive/defensive group. You might see them do 2 minute drill's, goal line, different packages in different situations, etc

Maybe I'm the only one, but I love preseason football.

For once he used his powers of deflection and obsessive whininess for good... I guess I'll take it?
A broken clock still has a better "used it's power for good or being right" percentage :D.

Is this a precursor to an eighteen game season?

Get rid of 4 preseason games and extend the season?

Interesting.....

I wonder if the NFL* thought of that.

:rolleyes:

man the format of the entire league is perfect (or was), stop messing with the game.

How could 2 pre-season games work in terms of roster evaluation, it's already 3 because coaches go to game 4 with 2 or 3 question marks tops. Injuries sucks but the players need these games.

I'm all for keeping preseason, just shorten it to 2 or 3 games where only backups play and all teams QBs wear red noncontact Jersey.

Starters get to play in joint scrimmages during practice only.

Joint practices mandatory for all 2 or 3 weeks of preseason games.

Interesting.

In Matt Chatham's opinion, injuries are up because players do not tackle/are tackled enough in preseason and training camps. His point is that in order to prepare for a violent game, you need practice violence.

The question is....does the elimination of preseason games in favor of live scrimmages help or hurt his opinion.

For once he used his powers of deflection and obsessive whininess for good... I guess I'll take it?
Even a blind squirrel finds an acorn once in a while..........

I'm all for keeping preseason, just shorten it to 2 or 3 games where only backups play and all teams QBs wear red noncontact Jersey.

Romo and Carson Palmer would like that after this past weekend....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes
Patriots Draft Rumors: Teams Facing ‘Historic’ Price For Club to Trade Down