PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Rumor: Pats seeking to trade RB Jeff Demps for draft pick

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, I don't really get why people assume Spike's price tag is going to be prohibitively high.

Though, Maualuga blows, so I'm not sure he's a good example to use as a basis for comparison.

He fits here well I'm a fan he brings intimidation to our defense, but without a linebacker like Mayo a team really can't invest huge money in a player who doesn't have much of a fit in any sub package role.

Yeah, I don't really get why people assume Spike's price tag is going to be prohibitively high.

Though, Maualuga blows, so I'm not sure he's a good example to use as a basis for comparison.

It's not much to go but i base it on the sense i get of Spikes and the fact that he told his cousin before the Super bowl that he expects to be a "household name," e.g....STAR. I think Spikes evaluation of himself is likely to be much higher than the price Belichick assigns to him and i don't expect him to sign. I also think he will be very reluctant to sign a franchise tag if they applied it to him.

I agree that many are overvaluing what he may go for, but it's not as much about what he goes for as it is Belichick's assessment of him and his worth. We've seen situations where important players are not re-signed over very small amounts of money.

It's not much to go but i base it on the sense i get of Spikes and the fact that he told his cousin before the Super bowl that he expects to be a "household name," e.g....STAR. I think Spikes evaluation of himself is likely to be much higher than the price Belichick assigns to him and i don't expect him to sign. I also think he will be very reluctant to sign a franchise tag if they applied it to him.

I definitely think that Spikes is still a question mark as far as definitely coming back here next season, although I think Belichick and co. should make it one of the priorities as long as he isn't delusional about his worth.

For one thing, his worth is still very much up in the air. He turned it on during the playoffs and SB run in 2011, then continued on a upward trend last season too, so hopefully he can keep that level of good play up. The first half of his career however, was surrounded by question marks. I think the current level of play is what we can expect this season though, as it probably just took him awhile to be able to make an impact and play with enough consistency.

BB and the defensive schemes hide his weaknesses, and allow Spikes to play to his strengths... other teams may not be able to do this.

In that same vein of thought, Belichick may also see more glaring weaknesses that others may overlook. That could be key during negotiations, as the offer of the front office may not match Spikes' thought of self-worth.

So how many first rounders do you guys think we'll get for him? I think I'd settle for 2 but I'd probably have to sleep on it

So how many first rounders do you guys think we'll get for him? I think I'd settle for 2 but I'd probably have to sleep on it

You must be related to the new Jets G.M.

Welcome to the boards :cool:

I'd only take two if they were from a crappy team that could turn into a top 10 pick.

Realistically, I think he gets cut. He's paid more than most late round picks; and he seems to be less motivated to get into football shape than most of them. A bad combination.

He's decided to spend the entire summer optimizing for track, and he won't be hitting the weights and plyometrics in the same way other running backs do.
I don't see anyone giving up a pick and paying his salary

Update: from what Demps' agent is saying it sounds like the Pats have told him they will not let him participate in two sports, and he is lobbying yo get out of Foxboro.

The Blitz with Jeff Howe & Karen Guregian | Could this be Jeff Demps' last week with the Patriots? | Boston Herald

For now, there still aren't any concrete answers, but I checked in one more time with Daniel Rose, who represents Demps. Rose is "certain" another NFL team would permit Demps to play both sports if the Patriots wouldn't do it.

"Jeff loves New England, and he wants to run track and play football," Rose said. "It's not a decision based on money. It's a decision based on his passion for both sports. He's 23 years old, and he has an opportunity to do what he loves and has our blessing. I would think with the (Patriots') lack of picks, a deal would be done over the draft, as I am certain if the Patriots aren't willing to let him do both, there are other teams who will.

"He played football and ran track in college. He's always been honest with the teams about everything. That's why he didn't go to the combine or participate in the Senior Bowl, as he was focusing on the Olympics. How can you tell a 23-year-old not to follow his dreams and do what he loves, which is run track and play football."

I think the Patriots are using the agent to see if there's any team willing to cough up a late pick for him.

The chance they'll find a team willing to trade for him is near nil, however.

most times teams wont trade a late rounder because they know he will be cut and just wait, with Demps, I think they could just put him on the did not report list and still keep his rights without giving him any money or counting against the active roster. I think other teams would be weary about his lack of commitment to football so I will err on the side of no trade.

most times teams wont trade a late rounder because they know he will be cut and just wait, with Demps, I think they could just put him on the did not report list and still keep his rights without giving him any money or counting against the active roster. I think other teams would be weary about his lack of commitment to football so I will err on the side of no trade.

I don't know how waivers, etc., work, but can they just put him on the practice squad?

I'm a little surprised by the agent's comments. I have to wonder if they are grounded in anything more than assumptions at this point. I would've thought Belichick would be fine stashing an extra layer of cheap depth on the Did Not Report list. Heck, we could've used Demps there last year once Edelman went down.

If the two sides are certain something can't work out, I can't see anyone giving more than a 7th for the right to have first shot at his services.

its not about money eh?

I wonder if hes willing to renegotiate that contract, since hes only going to play 1/2 or 1/4 of the season have him take a huge paycut.
Otherwise i think they should just Did not report him, or fine him for every practice and game missed

I don't know how waivers, etc., work, but can they just put him on the practice squad?

No. A cut player has to be exposed to waivers before joining any practice squad.

its not about money eh?

I wonder if hes willing to renegotiate that contract, since hes only going to play 1/2 or 1/4 of the season have him take a huge paycut.
Otherwise i think they should just Did not report him, or fine him for every practice and game missed

A fair point. The contract was signed with the understanding that the olympics were the last of Demps track days.
That understanding has changed from Demp's side.
So they should now be willing to give something up (unguaranteed min deal) to allow Demps to follow his passion.

Missed the draft and have only occasional limited net access while on the Cape. What were the picks we got for Demps?

Missed the draft and have only occasional limited net access while on the Cape. What were the picks we got for Demps?

8 first round picks. and tickets to the 2016 games

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back