PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Rumor: Pats seeking to trade RB Jeff Demps for draft pick

Status
Not open for further replies.
Trade in haste for peanuts, then regret in leisure when Demps shows up as a football player for some other team.

I say give him a few months to experience track. He'll be back at earning his living at football w/ the Pats.

Except the Patriots already have one of the best kick and punt returners in the game on their roster with no strings attached as well as a highly explosive running back with NFL size and, again, no strings attached. Not only will Demps not add anything, the chance that he ever suits up for an NFL game is very low.

Other GMs know that, though, and no one is going to give up even a 7th round pick for him. A 7th may seem worthless, but it truly is an asset - you can use it to obtain a veteran player or move up in the mid-rounds to snag a guy you want. Draft picks may be a little overvalued, but a guy like Demps has no value whatsoever.

Yes because a kick returner and occasional scat back falls right in line with many GM's top rated QB in the 2011 draft?

Ryan Mallet was nobodies top-rated quarterback who didn't work for NFL Network and New England is NOT the only team willing to take a flyer on a player with "character issues".

If needy teams truly thought he was the best in the draft he wouldn't have been drafted behind:

Cam Newton
Jake Locker
Blaine Gabbert
Christian Ponder
and Andy Dalton

Not only will Demps not add anything, the chance that he ever suits up for an NFL game is very low.

Other GMs know that, though, and no one is going to give up even a 7th round pick for him. A 7th may seem worthless, but it truly is an asset - you can use it to obtain a veteran player or move up in the mid-rounds to snag a guy you want. Draft picks may be a little overvalued, but a guy like Demps has no value whatsoever.

That is certainly debatable, primetime.

I'd tend to think that you're closer to right than wrong regarding any other team giving up a 7th for Demps, but all it takes is one team. He wants it to be accepted that he'll show up halfway through the season to add to someone's stretch run as an explosive player etc. While it's not likely any NFL team will allow that to happen, stranger things have happened.

I think it'd be a blessing if we could move him for a 7th rounder at this point. Obviously he doesn't plan on working hard in our offseason programs, TC, or attempting to learn a pretty complex offensive scheme, so this team isn't going to put up with his nonsense.

Ryan Mallet was nobodies top-rated quarterback who didn't work for NFL Network and New England is NOT the only team willing to take a flyer on a player with "character issues".

If needy teams truly thought he was the best in the draft he wouldn't have been drafted behind:

Cam Newton
Jake Locker
Blaine Gabbert
Christian Ponder
and Andy Dalton

He was several teams top QB do some research and you'll see with your own eyes. A recent redraft of 2011 also had him going 12th overall as well.

He was several teams top QB do some research and you'll see with your own eyes. A recent redraft of 2011 also had him going 12th overall as well.

Then why wasn't he drafted higher?

A redraft is also a media-members opinion of who should have gone where based on what we know, and if he truly has Mallet at #12 overall he's a total fool. Mallet should lose stock based on what he's shown, just because some QBs drafted ahead of Mallet are turning into busts doesn't make Mallet a better player.

I'd also love to see his argument for drafting Mallet at #12, considering 90% of the arguments for why he should be valued higher now than where he was drafted involve learning from the GOAT, if we redo the 2011 draft he'd never have had the chance to play with Brady.

He stll hasn't shown anything to improve his value (playing behind Tom Brady doesn't instantly make you valued 2 rounds higher than you were drafted, if anything I would argue it probably hurts a young players motivation knowing he'll probably never play a down in the NFL because he never receives a change to show what he's worth, being drafted as a QB in NE is more like an NFL death sentence for your "career", at least going elsewhere you'd know you might play eventually) and in his limited snap in garbage times he's looked innacurate and indecisive.

Mediot insanity.
Were that anywhere close to true instead of misinformed blathering, then QB needy teams would be offering a 1st or their early 2nd round picks for The Hammer. Should this happen or equally likely a Russian meteor take out Jets stadium, I'll eat crow and be jacked and pumped about our enhanced draft.

i think if they did the draft again mallet would go before locker/gabert/ponder

Those three have been borderline busts up until this point, with ponder making the playoffs while be carried by AP

Those three have been borderline busts up until this point, with ponder making the playoffs while be carried by AP

All that means is that Ponder and them would be late round or UDFAs, not that Mallet would be drafted earlier.

But what if you get another Ebert, Weston, Robinson, Welch, Williams, Richard? And then Demps shows up and has a Cribbs type impact when he first arrived in the NFL? I understand wanting the studs but its also worth noting that for every Deaderick we found in the 7th we found a Love in UDFA and we can still do that with Demps.

I am confused with the bolded portion of this statement? Do you not like Love? IMO Love is better than Deadrick, Deadrick was starting down the stretch over Love so I could be wrong but Love was dealing with a Knee injury. Either way though I think they are both examples of Solid players BB has found in the 7th and as UDFAs.

Wait a minute I think I know what you were saying now. I think you are saying you can get a similar talent as a UDFA as you can in the 7th? (this is the only thing that makes sense to me so I hope its what you meant and I agree with it too though the part of the value of the 7th is you dont have to be in a race with other teams for them think about what you could have risked last year had we not had a 7th for Dennard he could be on any team right now though any team could have had in prior to our 7th too.

All that means is that Ponder and them would be late round or UDFAs, not that Mallet would be drafted earlier.

no those teams would still need a QB And mallet would be a QB that could be chosen.

50/50 hindsight has shown mallet, who had "character issue" concerns coming out of college, having just sat for 2 years with ZERO issues, concerns or redflags.

Looking back teams that thought, nah we cant take him, he might get suspended or act immaturely, would now be saying, yeah maybe we should have picked him seeing as hes been a model citizen in NE

no those teams would still need a QB And mallet would be a QB that could be chosen.

50/50 hindsight has shown mallet, who had "character issue" concerns coming out of college, having just sat for 2 years with ZERO issues, concerns or redflags.

Looking back teams that thought, nah we cant take him, he might get suspended or act immaturely, would now be saying, yeah maybe we should have picked him seeing as hes been a model citizen in NE

Hindsight hasn't shown that. You've inferred that.

I'm hoping Demps can be included in a package deal along with Spikes and Mallett.

That is certainly debatable, primetime.

I'd tend to think that you're closer to right than wrong regarding any other team giving up a 7th for Demps, but all it takes is one team. He wants it to be accepted that he'll show up halfway through the season to add to someone's stretch run as an explosive player etc. While it's not likely any NFL team will allow that to happen, stranger things have happened.

I think it'd be a blessing if we could move him for a 7th rounder at this point. Obviously he doesn't plan on working hard in our offseason programs, TC, or attempting to learn a pretty complex offensive scheme, so this team isn't going to put up with his nonsense.

Not only will he be showing up halfway through the season, he'll be showing up about 20 lbs. lighter than at his football weight and might not be ready for contact by the end of the season. For a guy who's never played a meaningful NFL snap, that's a tough pill to swallow for any coach or GM.

Yes, now you're talking and I largely agree. Patriots offense is totally wicked awesome and does not need any playmakers. Still, we don't have anyone with speed like this:

Jeff Demps Highlights - YouTube

Within about a year he chose football, then track, then both. Maybe he doesn't know what he wants yet. Maybe he will decide that football is it after all. As great as BB is, he cannot coach this speed. All I'm saying is this guy has value. If it weren't for track, he would have been a mid round pick or possibly higher. If he decides to commit to football, he still carries that value. I wouldn't trade him for a late pick is all.

There is an enormous difference between discussing a players talent and stating the Patriots lack playmakers.
If your point was about Demps and you accept that the portion of your comments stating the Patriots lack playmakers is no so right, that is fine.
I was simply responding to that misstatement.
I'd love to see Demps on the field, but it seems unlikely it s going to happen given that he is choosing track first.

The concept that Mallett was a first round talent who slid because of non-football issues is not a fact, nor an educated guess, but simply a guess without substance. Could be correct, but which number am I thinking of from 1 to 10 is correct 10% of the time and has nothing to do with insight, knowledge or fact.

But what has Mallett done? Ponder QBd a team to the playoffs. Locker and Gabbart earned starting jobs. Mallett has held a clipboard.

I'm hoping Demps can be included in a package deal along with Spikes and Mallett.
When was the last time multiple players were involved in a trade? The most recent one that comes to mind is when the Jets sent a few players over to the Browns for part of the trade that got them Sanchez. It doesn't really happen. There's a very low chance that both Spikes and Mallett (and perhaps Demps) all are valued the highest by the same team.

I hope we don't deal Spikes, no one better on our team against the run

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back