PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

RUMOR: ocho pushed to learn our O faster

Status
Not open for further replies.
I certainly would like more contribution from Ohco but it has been one game. If we get to the third or fourth game and his level of participation is still at the level it was in Miami, then cut him and use the roster spot for a player that will contribute.

Most sensible post on the topic. As for Bruschi's comments...meh.

Meh. Bruschi's got to stay interesting in order to stay on the air. I don't know why everyone is getting all in a twist about it. Ocho will either get the offense and get more involved, or he won't, no matter what anyone says, including Bru.

I could care less what Bru says to be honest, I was responding to the poster who said he needed to be taken to task by somebody like Bruschi. I hope Bruschi's opinion carries about as much weight in the locker room as anybody else in the media which is none.

Bruschi, Felger, Borges can all talk all they want, but if anybody needs to be taken to task it should be done in-house as it always has been.

Live by the sword, die by the sword.

You put out the tweets, the reality show, living with a fan, you deal with the fallout.

Chad doesn't need to learn the playbook as much as he needs to learn that he no longer can get by on talent alone. He needs to decide if he is either going to buckle down, quit all the BS and dedicate himself to the team or get passed over.

Chad needs to learn what it takes to be a champion.

Wow... leave it to the Boston and National Media to create a locker room issue for the Pats.

We need Ocho to be a productive member on the team, and it's like the local media is trying to ensure he wants out.

Typically ungrateful sports media. Ocho feeds them plenty of copy, video and tweets and they give him back nothing but ****.

Typically ungrateful sports media. Ocho feeds them plenty of copy, video and tweets and they give him back nothing but ****.

And people wonder why BB doesn't throw the media any bones. Why should he? This is how they repay their "favorite soundbytes"... by jumping on them as soon as it's more interesting to do so.

For example, New York media LOVES Rex for his pressers, but if this team goes 8-8 and misses the playoffs you can count on 90% of those funny quips being used to show how he "doesn't take things seriously" or some other such nonsense.

The thing i see is that its a matter of time before a defense copies the Jets PO game approach of swarming the middle of the field and leaving the CB's playing man against the Pats X and Y receivers (Branch and Ocho/Price/Slater). When that happens i think you'll see 85 get targeted a lot more

On the flip side to that i noticed a lot more variety of deep routes in the MIA game (Gronk, Hernandez, Slater etc) so the intention to provide a deep threat is there

Last edited:
Everybody is missing this simple fact:

Do the Math

Oline (5)
TE's (2)
QB (1)
RB (1)

Leaves room for (2) WR's.

Who's it going to be?

Welker and Branch (of course)

Pats are running a lot of 2 and 3 TE sets.

Chad is the 3rd WR

Only time he see's the field is in 3-4 WR sets.

and when he subs for Welker or Branch

Nothing to see here folks !!

Chad is the 3rd WR

Everybody is missing this simple fact:

Do the Math

Oline (5)
TE's (2)
QB (1)
RB (1)

Leaves room for (2) WR's.

Who's it going to be?

Welker and Branch (of course)

Pats are running a lot of 2 and 3 TE sets.

Chad is the 3rd WR

Only time he see's the field is in 3-4 WR sets.

and when he subs for Welker or Branch

Nothing to see here folks !!

Chad is the 3rd WR

This is the point I keep trying to make. And let's take the math a little further:

Wes Welker had the most snaps of any WR with 67. That's almost four times as much as Ocho's 18. We'll say 3.5 for simplicity.

in Ocho's 18 snaps, he made 1 catch and should have had a 2nd but was mugged with no call. So two "catches" in 18 plays. Multiply it by 3.5, and the guy's making 7 catches (a 112 catch pace over 16 games). So his productivity (in a very limited sample size) was NOT bad. The problem was you had two guys with at least four years in the system available, and you wanted to run a 2-TE no huddle (where knowing the system is probably the most important thing).

And I don't see this changing too often unless there's an injury. It's just a numbers game and the other guys have been here long enough to be Brady's second brain.

I am so sick of the medai these days, it really poises me off. It must be nice to get payed to just pick an easy ass target like 85, make up some BS story and then have the entire media machine churn out said BS story in a hundred different ways over a mere 72 hours. The guy got here in what August? He had no time because of the lockout and according to all credible reports has been working his ass off. You can't expect a plAyer who has played in one system in the last ten years to come to New England and look as synced up with TFB as a Troy Brown or Deion Branch. It's all such Bull it makes me sick. If he's not producing anything in a few more weeks then maybe we can start to panic but to do so right now is so so so so stupid.

Last edited:
Chad's gonna be fine. I don't blame Tedi for making a point, but he came on way too strong I thought - he went on and on for over a minute instead of just making a comment.

Chad had a decent opener: no drops, a very nice sideline catch at his ankles, and what should have been a nice gainer near the goal line except for an uncalled PI. It's not clear that the lining up penalty he got called on was even his fault.

He'll improve from here and be a real weapon soon.

This is the point I keep trying to make. And let's take the math a little further:

Wes Welker had the most snaps of any WR with 67. That's almost four times as much as Ocho's 18. We'll say 3.5 for simplicity.

in Ocho's 18 snaps, he made 1 catch and should have had a 2nd but was mugged with no call. So two "catches" in 18 plays. Multiply it by 3.5, and the guy's making 7 catches (a 112 catch pace over 16 games). So his productivity (in a very limited sample size) was NOT bad. The problem was you had two guys with at least four years in the system available, and you wanted to run a 2-TE no huddle (where knowing the system is probably the most important thing).

And I don't see this changing too often unless there's an injury. It's just a numbers game and the other guys have been here long enough to be Brady's second brain.

I agree with you on this but I think the fly in the ointment for the naysayers is Ocho's salary. It's a fair point but I hardly think that the Pats will let their investment turn fallow over the course of the season.

He needed to be taken to task by someone like Bruschi (I wouldn't be surprised if someone on the team put Bruschi up to it), but now everyone is just doing the me-too thing. We'll see how he responds; I'm guessing he has a monster game on Sunday.

I heard the original rant live, Ordway and Holly were handed a tweet in real time, prior to that it was just regular Pats talk, when Tedy heard it he went off couldn't have been more spontaneous, he had a flashback and went into team captain mode.

Idiot Sports Media Member A writes an inflammatory opinion piece.

Idiot Sports Media Member B comments on someone else's opinion with his own, as does Idiot Sports Media Members C D E and F.

Idiot Media Member G writes a web article commenting on the fact that C and D opined on B's opinion opining on A.

Idiot Media Members H-L write opinion pieces on that web article.

Idiot Media Member M, noticing the cycle dying, writes an unsourced web article about a 'rumor' confirming A's opinion. Here we go again!

And so on. Hundreds of hours of copy, and not one fact or useful insight. Completely reality-free. It's all Wag the Dog, all the time, now.

Last edited:
I heard the original rant live, Ordway and Holly were handed a tweet in real time, prior to that it was just regular Pats talk, when Tedy heard it he went off couldn't have been more spontaneous, he had a flashback and went into team captain mode.

I heard it live as well and thought the same. Tedy responded to the tweet when it was just minutes old. His reaction was genuine and definitely not some planned event.

I agree with you on this but I think the fly in the ointment for the naysayers is Ocho's salary. It's a fair point but I hardly think that the Pats will let their investment turn fallow over the course of the season.

Maybe, but if the other two are healthy and better options, it doesn't matter what Chad is making they'll be the primary receivers. As he learns more they may rotate him in more, but he'll never get as many looks as Welker/Branch, I don't care what his salary is.

I heard it live as well and thought the same. Tedy responded to the tweet when it was just minutes old. His reaction was genuine and definitely not some planned event.

I will third this. In no way was the rant scripted or planned.

Chad is an expensive insurance policy should Branch get injured...THEN he better be ready to step in and really contribute......unjtil then...He's still only the #3 reciever that isn't going to see alot of balls....especially with 2 TE's and the RB's catching passes.....

Wow... leave it to the Boston and National Media to create a locker room issue for the Pats.

We need Ocho to be a productive member on the team, and it's like the local media is trying to ensure he wants out.

The mediots need a whipping boy every year and on every team. They were hoping beyond hope to have Albert Haynesworth as arch enemy no. 1 but BB has shielded him the entire camp and he's played well when he's been in there. So they're left with the other newbie on the team. It's been so ridiculous. Ocho has played 1 regular season game. :rolleyes:

OK, let's be serious. He'll get time on the field if, and only if, he is better option than A) Branch, B) Welker, C) Gronkowski or Hernandez*.

*If one Tight End comes off the field then we can play 3 receivers.

I can't root against any of the above.

Maybe, but if the other two are healthy and better options, it doesn't matter what Chad is making they'll be the primary receivers. As he learns more they may rotate him in more, but he'll never get as many looks as Welker/Branch, I don't care what his salary is.

Baring injury. He is Branch insurance as Edelman is Welker insurance as well as being an OK receiver now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes