PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Rumor: MJD to be traded to the Pats?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Drew's 2013 salary is $4.95M plus expenses. The patriots may or may not be interested. Is Drew an upgrade to the running back who he would likely replace? Sure! Is he worth the pick and cap money? Maybe.

Folks here are sure Vereen will be as good as Drew when he walks in the door for Game 11. Maybe, and maybe not. Perhaps, Belichick is focused on Games 9 and 10 in addition to having another threat for the rest of the year.

Well said. With how limited our WR core is at the moment, going shotgun with Vereen and MJD behind Brady may not be a bad idea anyway. They could both see playing time in such a scenario.

I don't see a need for running back in this team.

I'm not sure why any fan would say no.
I serioulsy doubt he could be competitive with Ridley for playing time.
I would expect that he is an upgrade over Bolden in spread pacakges.
I would doubt he took snaps away from Vereen.
I would expect he would compete with Blount for his role.
I would expect he would be the best KR we currently have active.
I'd be happy if he sits for a month inactive if we have another injury that makes him needed.
I don't see the downside.

The third round pick the Jags are looking for is the downside. The fourth round pick they will probably settle for is the downside.

NFL_DRAFT_Bites ‏@NFLDraftBites

Jaguars have understanding w/ league office that no deals would be made besides Monroe on 'Name' players prior to London game. Marketing 101

I'm not sure why any fan would say no.
I serioulsy doubt he could be competitive with Ridley for playing time.
I would expect that he is an upgrade over Bolden in spread pacakges.
I would doubt he took snaps away from Vereen.
I would expect he would compete with Blount for his role.
I would expect he would be the best KR we currently have active.
I'd be happy if he sits for a month inactive if we have another injury that makes him needed.
I don't see the downside.

Why is everyone looking at him as competing with Ridley, Vereen or Bolden?

The obvious answer is that he would be a "three-fer":

1) could replace LeGarette Blount and Leon (Exercise Bike) Washington
2) be a great complement to the other three
3) open up a roster space.

Last edited:
The third round pick the Jags are looking for is the downside. The fourth round pick they will probably settle for is the downside.

The money is also a downside on top of the fact that he'd be redundant in this offense once Vereen comes back. I'd rather use the roster spot on a WR and/or a DT.

Or it could mean they have to wait until approximately 4:00PM Sunday...after the London game finishes. Two days to get 'er done.

I don't see the need to upgrade from Blount/Bolden/Washington as so great that the team should be giving up a pick and spending real salary dollars to do so. What game have we looked back and say "man! if only we got more production out of our kick return and 3rd down back." And the 3rd down back problem is temporary, with Vereen coming back soon.

What game have we looked back and say "man! if only we got more production out of our kick return and 3rd down back."

Answer: Just about every single one.

I don't see the need to upgrade from Blount/Bolden/Washington as so great that the team should be giving up a pick and spending real salary dollars to do so. What game have we looked back and say "man! if only we got more production out of our kick return and 3rd down back." And the 3rd down back problem is temporary, with Vereen coming back soon.

well he is an upgrade over washington, blount and bolden. if we do trade for him he would allow us to cut 1 or 2 of those players and still be an upgrade to RB position. we could then sign another DL or OL.

It won't happen, but if they're willing to deal him for a 4th and Bequette (so basically for just a 4th), then maybe it should.

Vereen isn't really a third down back. Once he comes back, we should probably expect to see a lot of two-back formations, since Vereen has the flexibility to allow the team to do a lot of creative things, and it's not like that takes a really good tight end or WR off the field anymore.

Considering that all of our RBs are either injured or not exactly lighting the world on fire, picking up MJD could be a great deal if the cost is cheap. He's stuck playing on a historically bad offense right now.

You want to let Jake Baguette go? Are you kidding? He is the future!

Adam Schefter tweeted his trade ideas this morning. Concerning the Patriots, he came up with the following:

" Giants DT Linval Joseph to the Patriots for a third-round pick: As much as the Giants would like to keep Joseph, he also is scheduled to become a free agent after this season. The Giants could trade Joseph to the Patriots, then still try to re-sign him if they want him back badly enough. New England could use Joseph to help replace Vince Wilfork, who is out for the season with a torn Achilles.

I would love for this to play out and we scoop him up way more than the possibility of getting MJD. Just my opinion though.

It won't happen, but if they're willing to deal him for a 4th and Bequette (so basically for just a 4th), then maybe it should.

A 4th + Bequette is really worth a 6th.

You want to let Jake Baguette go? Are you kidding? He is the future!

How the hell did I miss that??????

I've been calling him "Whipped Cream" all this time, while "Baguette" was right there under my nose!!!! I'm pathetic. :D

Last edited:
Would take on MJD for that asking price and assume the eminent re-structure would be a part of that. In other news Moeki cleared waivers today....

Although I think MJD to the cowboys makes alot more sense.

SI had this trade under "trades that shoudl happen" although they were saying a 6th round choice. Obvioulsy the Jags are in for a long rebuilding process and MJD is going to be a FA at the end of the year. It would make sense, but still i doubt it will happen.

I remember wanted the Pats to draft him out of UCLA just beacause his thighs reminded me of the old Cowboys back Robert Newhouse. Back then he was a dynamic kick returner. I doubt he still is, but he would be better than Blount on kickoffs

Can he rush the passer?

Would take on MJD for that asking price and assume the eminent re-structure would be a part of that. In other news Moeki cleared waivers today....

Although I think MJD to the cowboys makes alot more sense.

I think I remember reading a tweet from Rap Sheet saying that the Boys have less than a million in cap space. I agree that it would make sense, but I don't think it can happen.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes