PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Rumor Grahm to Vikes

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've also heard Cinci and Wash. are going to make a run at him also, especially Cinci.

I don't expect to see Graham back in a Pat's uni this year.

Let's forget these silly rumors for now. The Pats have until Thursday

night to re-sign him. Most labor deals are concluded at the last minute.

The agent's claim that no negotiations are going on may be b.s. to drive

up his asking price.

Last edited:
If we lose graham I would sign Kyle Brady to come in and assist Matt Light with the DE's in AFC east

Last edited:
I wonder if that role will be taken on more by Mills. I know he hasn't done anything yet but maybe? Here is his scouting profile:

Pros: Can line up at fullback, H-back or tight end and give his team options in the passing game. He has some power, and his speed and running skills make him tough to bring down in the open field. As a pass-catcher, his hands are soft. He makes tough catches consistently. He gains nice separation in his routes, understands coverage and finds the soft spots in zones. Has strong lower body quickness and agility, allowing him to get into a defender and control him for the entire play. He is also a good special-teams player.

Cons: Despite the fact that he is projected as a fullback, he played tight end in college and had zero carries. He is a blocker who can handle a linebacker, but might struggle in picking up defensive ends.

Sounds like a Graham type, although the blocking on DE's must improve. I am just trying to figure out where this guy fits in on the Pats roster.

If we lose graham I would sign Kyle Brady to come in and assist Matt Light with the DE's in AFC east

Co-sign. BB has said good things about Kyle Brady. Called him "another tackle" I think Reiss mentioned.

BB has said good things about Kyle Brady.
All the way back to 1994 when he "supposedly" flipped out in the draft room when The Jest took Brady before Belichck's #9 overall pick with Cleveland.

All the way back to 1994 when he "supposedly" flipped out in the draft room when The Jest took Brady before Belichck's #9 overall pick with Cleveland.

Hadn't heard about that, interesting tidbit.

Last edited:
Jermaine Wiggins must hate DG, he took his Job with the Pats and now the Vikes?

Let's forget these silly rumors for now. The Pats have until Thursday

night to re-sign him. Most labor deals are concluded at the last minute.

The agent's claim that no negotiations are going on may be b.s. to drive

up his asking price.
He sure isn't coming back if these numbers from the Star-Tribune article are anywhere near accurate:

The market for Graham likely will be between two deals signed since last July. On the low end is Jason Witten's six-year contract worth nearly $30 million, including $12 million in guarantees. The ceiling, which likely won't be topped, is Tony Gonzalez's five-year contract worth more than $31 million, including $17.75 million in guarantees. In reality, though, Gonzalez's deal with the Kansas City Chiefs is a four-year deal worth about $23.5 million.

Last edited:
Jermaine Wiggins must hate DG, he took his Job with the Pats and now the Vikes?

What about a swap? Wiggins for Graham? No I am serious.

Wiggins is just the big body, good hands type of TE we could use to complement Watson and Thomas.

Kyle Brady also fits the bill, I don't know if he has anything left in the tank.

To Seattle, though I've heard all the other rumors. Just my guess...

How ironic if the Vikes cut Wiggins to sign Graham... frankly as much as I'd like to keep Graham it doesn't seem like the front office is willing to overpay for him like many around here are.

Of course it might not be that they don't want him - just that they won't overpay, putting him in a top 5 salary range for the position. I know its been made clear that I'm in the minority around here not viewing him as a top 5 TE worth $4 million a year or so (though I would place him #10 out of current TEs - which isn't bad).

Heck - I've always wanted to get a little more offensive production out of our other TE position - if Wiggins gets cut I wouldn't mind having him back.

In hindsight I'd have preferred keeping Wiggins over spending a #1 pick on Graham in the first place.

Brady went in 1995 to the Jets, and he went at number 9. Cleveland had no pick anywhere near that.

Brady went in 1995 to the Jets, and he went at number 9. Cleveland had no pick anywhere near that.

I think you are wrong about Cleveland not being close in the 1995 draft they had the very next pick and traded down with San Francisco once Kyle Brady was selected by the Jets. As I can recall rumor had it that Cleveland was so
interested in obtaining Brady and that was another draft learning experience for the Cleveland Front Office. But here's a few links if you want to check out the story.

http://www.clevelandbrowns.com/team/history/90.php

http://www.sf49ers.com/history/draft-1990.php

http://nflhistory.net/shared/articles/news.asp?action=detail&article=75

7. Craig Powell, Round 1, 1995 – This pick was never supposed to be. The Browns originally had the 17th pick in the draft, and were going to select TE Kyle Brady from Penn State with it, but the NY Jets at number 16 shocked the world by taking Brady instead. In a moment of panic, Cleveland traded their pick to (ironically) Carmen Policy of the 49ers for later picks plus a 1996 first round pick, and were stuck with the Powell pick. Something did end up coming out of this, though not for Cleveland. The Baltimore Ravens used the 1996 first round selection to draft Ray Lewis.

Round Player Position University Notes
1a Choice to San Francisco for 49ers’ 1995 1st [30th overall], 3rd [94th overall], 4th [119th overall] and 1996 1st round pick
1b Powell, Craig LB Ohio State [30th overall] Choice from San Francisco, see 1a
2 Choice to Philadelphia see 1994 round 2
3a Zeier, Eric QB Georgia [84th]
3b Frederick, Mike DE Virginia [94th] Choice from SF, see 1a above
4a Choice to Jacksonville for 1995 5th and 1996 6th
4b Choice from San Francisco traded to Philadelphia for 1995 5th; 1996 5th
5a Pupua, Tau DT Weber State [136th] Choice from Jacksonville, see 4a
5b Miller, Mike WR Notre Dame [147th] Choice from Philadelphia, see 4b
6 Choice to San Diego in 1994 for CB Donald Frank
7 Tellison, A.C. WR Miami [231st] Choice from NE for the Browns’ 1995 7th round selection.

Anyway the 49ers selected J.J. Stokes with the 10th pick.

(April 22-23,1995)
(Drafted 23rd)
1. (A) STOKES, J.J.
(Choice from Cleveland)
WR, 6-4, 217, UCLA

1. (B) Choice to Cleveland

2. Choice to L.A. Rams-
Pope, Marquez

3. Choice to Cleveland

4. (A) Choice to Cleveland from Kansas City-
Bono, Steve

4. (B) HANSHAW, TIM
T/G, 6-5, 300, BYU

5. Choice to Detroit-
Moore, Derrick

6. ARMSTRONG, ANTONIO
LB, 6-1, 234, Texas A&M

7. COLEMAN, HERB
DE, 6-4, 285, Trinity International

Last edited:
Graham has been a great contributor thus far, but he has taken a beating
and will not last in his current roll as a blocking TE. I believe he should be let go (with the appropriate compensation to whomever) as I believe our offencive scheme will be changing with the times, so to speak.?

If they let Graham walk, this one is going to hurt more than any in recent memory. All of the rest of the players I could understand but this one doesn't make sense. You go through all of the trouble of naming him a captain during his final season and then just let him walk? I don't like it.

ALK, Graham is on a short rope (imo) and we have his replacement.? Thomas??

The longer Graham has to block the shorter is his career, and his hands aren't that of an All Pro.? (let's get what we can while we can)

I believe the offence for this year will change to adapt to LMs strength, zone
blocking with a 2 back set, both able to run, receive and or block.

I love Graham but I think times and the offencive scheme are a changing.? Or
at least they should. -jmt-

PS: My wife says I repeat myself also, oh well.................... :scared:

ALK, Graham is on a short rope (imo) and we have his replacement.? Thomas??

The longer Graham has to block the shorter is his career, and his hands aren't that of an All Pro.? (let's get what we can while we can)

I believe the offence for this year will change to adapt to LMs strength, zone
blocking with a 2 back set, both able to run, receive and or block.

I love Graham but I think times and the offencive scheme are a changing.? Or
at least they should. -jmt-

PS: My wife says I repeat myself also, oh well.................... :scared:

What exactly are we getting for him? He's a FA. I find it really hard to believe that Thomas is going to be able to come in here and do the job that Graham has with blocking. Also, you severely underrate Graham's hands.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots