PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Sign the Beast IX: Percy Harvin released by Jests 3/10 (update: signed by Bills)

Status
Not open for further replies.
What are we a halfway house for disgruntled misunderstood players in the media's view?:confused:

I can't give the Jets too much props on this deal. It was dumb for them to trade for him in the first place when everyone knew they weren't going anywhere last year and that his salary would be a problem the following year. If they had not traded for him at all, they would have even more money to work with in free agency this year.

They made a pretty good move getting Marshall for only a 5th round pick but they will offset this pretty quickly once free agency officially starts. Tod Bowles can only make so many logical decisions before the Jets organization sinks its teeth into his body and soul.

But it's a different GM and head coach. This deal is actually a great deal for the Jets, if we take into account the fact that they needed a WR1 and were looking to move on from Harvin. Yes, they have to worry about Marshall screwing up the locker room, but they already had that same worry with Harvin, at a higher price, and at the expense of the higher draft pick.

Hell, the Jets could, theoretically, decide to cut Marshall before the 3rd day of the new NFL year and not be on the hook for any of his money moving forward. They could, theoretically, walk away from the Harvin deal only being out a 5th and 6th round draft pick. I'm sure they won't, as they're getting a WR1 for $7.5m, but they could.

Also, nothing is guaranteed after this year, so there's no issue with cutting him moving forward.

Why is everyone in denial about the pats interest in Harvin? Belichick wanted harvin in the draft AND almost traded for him two years ago. Harvin knows belichick loves him. The kid is only 26 and has probably 6-7 good seasons left in him. Almost every "malcontent" that comes here does well - moss, dillon, blount. I trust belichick's judgment over anyone on this board.
I would love to have him on the team if the pats could fit him in the cap but my concerns would be can he stay on the field. and the pats are only going to give him a one year contract so if he dose have a 13 plus game season and over 1000 yards will he just park it on the bench if he gets a small ding in the playoffs so he dose not hurt his next contract,

as for belichick wanting him back in the 2009 Draft he was a florida gator BB wanted every player under urban meyer but not many of the ones he Drafted worked out, like I said I would not mind signing him at the right price but I have concerns

I was at the Bears game in Foxboro this past season with Tunes. Marshall was a real dog. WE were shocked at his outright aversion to contact and the way he half assed a bunch of routes. Of course, now that he's a Jet the sky is crashing and the numbing green fear is gripping Patriot nation like a panic in the streets. First Santonio Holmes had Pats fan colons dropping stools all over the damn place, then Harvin last season, now this.

If you like soap operas, then this move is good for the NY/NJ fanbase.

I was at the Bears game in Foxboro this past season with Tunes. Marshall was a real dog. WE were shocked at his outright aversion to contact and the way he half assed a bunch of routes.

He played pathetic football all year. I said something about that in a another thread and someone countered that he freaked out on his teammates in the locker room after a lose, as if that's some positive event that proves he is a good team mate and plays hard.

Marshall was as much a part of the problem in Chicago as Cutler. He's going to hate New York. In a vacuum, this is a good move. In reality, a loser organization made another move that will not work out.

Marshall will not get called out for his issues anymore. He admitted to having mental issues and is open about them. That's great. Mental health is a giant problem that is still not taken seriously enough. But now he is excused for his behavior on the field and he knows it.

The Jets are saving $2.5 million, and they are getting to keep their 4th round pick in return for giving up their 5th and 5th round picks.

Taking out the players themselves and just looking at the rest: value wise, they are way ahead with this deal.

So they swapped a fourth round pick (in all fairness, to be swapped at this point if goodell has any consistency and credibility left, which I doubt), for a fifth and a sixth. Seems closer to an even swap than a deal when factoring in failure rates (league wide, forget the jest precedent of fail) and the extra pick damn near doubling their odds of hitting at that point.

They do save 2.5 million, can't argue there. Again though, just another head case that has burned his way out if a few towns. More interested in tv contracts than maintaining locker room relationships.

Who is pulling the trigger in jersey this year?

Uh...Kensil?...he may as well, now that he's been outed as the Jet mole in NFL offices.

He played pathetic football all year. I said something about that in a another thread and someone countered that he freaked out on his teammates in the locker room after a lose, as if that's some positive event that proves he is a good team mate and plays hard.

Marshall was as much a part of the problem in Chicago as Cutler. He's going to hate New York. In a vacuum, this is a good move. In reality, a loser organization made another move that will not work out.

Marshall will not get called out for his issues anymore. He admitted to having mental issues and is open about them. That's great. Mental health is a giant problem that is still not taken seriously enough. But now he is excused for his behavior on the field and he knows it.
The one thing Chicago has in their favor is the fact that Alshon Jeffrey looks to be a bonafide #1WR. Jettisoning Marshall, who let's face it, is supremely talented and productive will hurt them on the field.

I'm more interested to see what Chicago's plan is given they just traded away one of their biggest playmakers for pennies on the dollar.

So they swapped a fourth round pick (in all fairness, to be swapped at this point if goodell has any consistency and credibility left, which I doubt), for a fifth and a sixth. Seems closer to an even swap than a deal when factoring in failure rates (league wide, forget the jest precedent of fail) and the extra pick damn near doubling their odds of hitting at that point.

They do save 2.5 million, can't argue there. Again though, just another head case that has burned his way out if a few towns. More interested in tv contracts than maintaining locker room relationships.

Mike Maccagnan is the new GM, and Bowles is the HC. That team has something in the neighborhood of $50 million in cap space right now, too.

Marshall sustained two broken ribs and a collapsed lung versus the Cowboys in December. Of course now that he's a green rat, he'll be throwing his body around with abandon showing no ill effects from a COLLAPSED LUNG.

This is an "anything can happen day" signing.

This is an "anything can happen day" signing.

And hoping for the best..

The trend of teambuilding with disgruntled cast offs in the AFC East is interesting, Incognito to Buffalo, Suh to Miami and Marshall to NYJ....

If they were to keep Harvin and Marshall, it would provide more comic relief on the Jets Sux thread..

Uh...Kensil?...he may as well, now that he's been outed as the Jet mole in NFL offices.
As in qb, but you're point is still valid.

And hoping for the best..

The trend of teambuilding with disgruntled cast offs in the AFC East is interesting, Incognito to Buffalo, Suh to Miami and Marshall to NYJ....

If they were to keep Harvin and Marshall, it would provide more comic relief on the Jets Sux thread..
In fairness to Marshall he has BPD and that many believe is the root cause of his behavioral issues. Todd Bowles has a history with Marshall in Miami. He knows what he is getting and I think Marshall will be fine. The question is does Geno Smith have it in him to take his game to the next level.

Harvin is a different cat. He seems like a mess that they don't want.

But it's a different GM and head coach. This deal is actually a great deal for the Jets, if we take into account the fact that they needed a WR1 and were looking to move on from Harvin. Yes, they have to worry about Marshall screwing up the locker room, but they already had that same worry with Harvin, at a higher price, and at the expense of the higher draft pick.

Hell, the Jets could, theoretically, decide to cut Marshall before the 3rd day of the new NFL year and not be on the hook for any of his money moving forward. They could, theoretically, walk away from the Harvin deal only being out a 5th and 6th round draft pick. I'm sure they won't, as they're getting a WR1 for $7.5m, but they could.

Also, nothing is guaranteed after this year, so there's no issue with cutting him moving forward.

I have to agree. Marshall is better than Harvin - maybe Harvin could be as good or better, but he keeps getting in his own way.

It will be interesting to see if someone goes after him for decent $$$. His track record these last three years is terrible. I actually could see him coming here on an incentive-laden deal, but I have no idea if it would work out.

And yes, the Pats ARE the rehab team of the NFL. Mostly because they always draft near the bottom and the only way they get near raw talent like Moss, Dillon, Haynesworth, etc. to the extent other teams do is with reclamation projects. Sometimes the work, sometimes they bomb.

Nobody doubts what Percy Harvin COULD BE, but it's pretty certain that unless he gets into a stable, disciplined, winning environment, he never will be.

He was never going to thrive on the JEST in New York under that glare.

I have to agree. Marshall is better than Harvin - maybe Harvin could be as good or better, but he keeps getting in his own way.

It will be interesting to see if someone goes after him for decent $$$. His track record these last three years is terrible. I actually could see him coming here on an incentive-laden deal, but I have no idea if it would work out.

And yes, the Pats ARE the rehab team of the NFL. Mostly because they always draft near the bottom and the only way they get near raw talent like Moss, Dillon, Haynesworth, etc. to the extent other teams do is with reclamation projects. Sometimes the work, sometimes they bomb.

Nobody doubts what Percy Harvin COULD BE, but it's pretty certain that unless he gets into a stable, disciplined, winning environment, he never will be.

He was never going to thrive on the JEST in New York under that glare.

I am totally fine to be a rehab club. Bring someone in for a year on a low contract, cash in on compensatory picks once they leave a season later.

How much pressure could the Patriots put on defenses if they signed Harvin and Reggie Bush, then trotted out these 5 guys on offense: Gronkowski, Edelman, Lafell, Harvin and Bush,

Harvin would play an Aaron Hernandez role, roaming anywhere. Edelman would do Edelmanian things. Gronkowski up the seam. Lafell running end cuts on the outside. Bush out of the backfield on swingouts.

.......and NE Patriots will snatch him up....!!!! Rumors are wild....but this would be a great fit
He would be a terrible fit. A locker room cancer; no way the Patriots pick him up

He was perfect for the Jets, alas.
We need to pray that the Jets draft Jameis Winston....

Any chance Harvin is just misunderstood to a degree? He was moved out of Minnesota due to contract issues, but that happens all the time with players. Seattle bumped him, and it was said he punched Golden Tate... But Golden Tate is kind of a d*ck and it's been rumored he did worse... And when Harvin was moved, many players in Seattle (including Marshawn Lynch) were outraged.

He might be somewhat of a malcontent but it doesn't sound like he's necessarily alienating his teammates. It sounds like many supported him. If he were under the guise of the wise one BB, I think he would quickly find his inner peace.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Back