PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Rumor: Draft 2 WRs according to Ian Rapoport

Status
Not open for further replies.
I love Criner and think he'd be a steal if he dropped to the 3rd. He seems like the kind of guy we would take...not the fastest, but ruins crisp routes, has solid catching ability and you can throw a ball up and he will get to it. I'd be happy if we nabbed him with our 2nd second round pick.

He'll be one of those guys who won't wow you at the combine with his speed, but I love his ball skills and his overall smarts...he runs good routes.

Everyone knows how much I love Criner so its good to see him getting some attention. Now I'm just hoping he doesn't run fast at the combine and get drafted too high. I wouldn't hesitate to take him at 48, but I would prefer him in the 3rd. And his biggest asset is the one nobody is talking about, his YAC ability. While he is isn't the fastest, he is a very fluid athlete and is very elusive. Add in his size, body control, ability to track the deep ball and his freakin huge 11 inch hands, and I think he is perfect for this system.

One bottom line is that none of your roster choices at WR are now signed. There is lots of work to do.

It's kind of likely given that our WR for next year as of now are likely Welker and Branch.

I would assume we'd sign Lloyd if his price is reasonable (should be with bigger name WR out there) and draft a WR around the 2nd and 4th round. Say Randle and Adams or similar.

We'd have Lloyd and Welker starting, Branch as a backup Brady trusts, a bigger rookie receiver and a guy to play behind Welker.

Something like Lloyd, Welker, Branch, Randle, Adams would be a ton better than what we had this year.

We'd still have two #1 and a #2 to get a DB and a pass rusher and either trade one for a #1 next year or get a 2nd pass rusher.

It's kind of likely given that our WR for next year as of now are likely Welker and Branch.

I would assume we'd sign Lloyd if his price is reasonable (should be with bigger name WR out there) and draft a WR around the 2nd and 4th round. Say Randle and Adams or similar.

We'd have Lloyd and Welker starting, Branch as a backup Brady trusts, a bigger rookie receiver and a guy to play behind Welker.

Something like Lloyd, Welker, Branch, Randle, Adams would be a ton better than what we had this year.

We'd still have two #1 and a #2 to get a DB and a pass rusher and either trade one for a #1 next year or get a 2nd pass rusher.

One bottom line is that none of your roster choices at WR are now signed. There is lots of work to do.
Yep. And the other WR are Ocho, Underwood and Edelman - underwhelming to say the least.

The good news is Branch should be easily re-signed and Welker can be Franchised. But Branch is old and Welker is getting there so however we do it we need at least two young WR.

Yep. And the other WR are Ocho, Underwood and Edelman - underwhelming to say the least.

The good news is Branch should be easily re-signed and Welker can be Franchised. But Branch is old and Welker is getting there so however we do it we need at least two young WR.

What if we said screw ala end of 06 and said lets just sign a really good WR?

i mean obviously keep Welker but Belichick knows that cant just be it. He knows Welker is a great number 2/slot WR.

I smell somethings up. Like a Colston, big playmaker but wont command all time record contract like Super Mario would.

What if we said screw ala end of 06 and said lets just sign a really good WR?

i mean obviously keep Welker but Belichick knows that cant just be it. He knows Welker is a great number 2/slot WR.

I smell somethings up. Like a Colston, big playmaker but wont command all time record contract like Super Mario would.
I agree - and like others I think Lloyd is most likely given that he and McDaniels are love children - but even then we need a couple of youngsters with Branch old and Welker getting there. Certainly one young one but as we can probably get an Adams, Hilton or Broyles in the 4th round or so I'd like to get a second WR in that range after taking one around 2a. Still have 1a, 1b, 2b, 3 for defense or trades.

i read a lot of names, who could be drafted but no one is mentioning rueben randle out of lsu. i would love to pick him in the second round. in my opinion he has good size and speed. and he is out of the toughest college conference...

sorry, for using some terms wrong. i'm a german and i think my english isn't perfect.

Looks like a slow bunch except for the Arkansas guys.

We'd take Sanu and his 4.57 forty time when last year Torrey Smith and his 4.41 was gift wrapped to us? Are you trying to make me sick to my stomach?

2012_WR NFL Draft Prospects - CBSSports.com - NFLDraftScout.com

Because 40 times don't matter. This team doesn't need a guy that can run fast, they need guys that can pick up the system, run quality routes and gain the trust of Brady. If you just want a deep threat, then you will be disapointed because this team needs balanced WR's that have the ability to make the big play, not just a burner. Its the threat of the big play, rather than the actually play that would help this team more. We need WR's that can keep the safeties honest, but also product all over the field.

I would prefer more physical guys like Sanu, who can use their size to go deep and command double coverage because Brady doesn't have a great deep ball. Give him physical guys that can be a bigger target, battle for the ball down field and occasionally force pass interference calls. And I know you love Torrey Smith, but its time to let it go, he's not here. I had a huge man crush on Da'Quan Bowers last year, but he didn't come here and I got over it. So you need to find a new binkie for this draft. May I suggest Juron Criner:D

Looks like a slow bunch except for the Arkansas guys.

We'd take Sanu and his 4.57 forty time when last year Torrey Smith and his 4.41 was gift wrapped to us? Are you trying to make me sick to my stomach?

2012_WR NFL Draft Prospects - CBSSports.com - NFLDraftScout.com

What did Larry Fitzgerald run at the combine? A lot closer to 4.57 I'm sure. These guys this year are all huge, so you have to sacrifice some speed unless you're talking about Moss or Megatron.

Please no No NO do not let BB screw up again. He should never be allowed to draft a WR ever again. No RBs either.

Please no No NO do not let BB screw up again. He should never be allowed to draft a WR ever again. No RBs either.

You know its coming.....2012 NFL Draft reincarnation of Bethel, Chad Jackson, Tate, Price, PK Sam.....

While I put absolutely no stock into this report, I do like the idea of drafting two WR's, even if we do sign Lloyd. I've had Alshon Jeffery and Juron Criner in most of my mocks, and I would prefer two bigger guys that can be physical down the field, rather than just a speed guy. Brady doesn't have a great deep ball, so big, physical guys that can battle for it deep would be ideal. I also think they could take advantage of the offense based rules the NFL has now. How many of WR's on the roster now can create pass interference penalties down the field? Not many.

Jeffrey scares the heck out of me. It has been written (justified or not) that he is lazy, doesn't like to work out, not sure if football is important to him. Those are Red Flags to BB. I can't argue with his physical size and production ... it's the other things that make me think that Jeffrey is not on the Patriots Draft Board.

Jeffrey scares the heck out of me. It has been written (justified or not) that he is lazy, doesn't like to work out, not sure if football is important to him. Those are Red Flags to BB. I can't argue with his physical size and production ... it's the other things that make me think that Jeffrey is not on the Patriots Draft Board.

Where are these Alshon Jeffery work ethic questions coming from? I havent seen a single credible source question his work ethic. He did put on some weight in the offseason, but by the start of the season he was in great shape. His lack of production last season was mostly caused by poor QB play and extra attention from the defense. I think people just look at his numbers and think he must be lazy because he didn't completely dominate the SEC like he did the previous year. If he falls to the late 1st round this kid is going to have a chip on his shoulder and come into the league trying to prove something. Thats the kind of competitiveness and personality he has.

Looks more like a slot receiver. Quick but needs time to get up to speed.

"Quick" means the exact opposite of "needs time to get up to speed":confused:

The guy is both quick and fast, I think he could be an eventual replacement for Branch, it would also give the team additional leverage if they dont come to terms with Welker by draft day, and he'll likely come cheap.

One issue I noticed with this kid is that he takes big steps, which slow you down. With some practice and guidance he can shorten those steps and increase his burst.

go buy a bowe and use the picks for something else

Where are these Alshon Jeffery work ethic questions coming from? I havent seen a single credible source question his work ethic. He did put on some weight in the offseason, but by the start of the season he was in great shape. His lack of production last season was mostly caused by poor QB play and extra attention from the defense. I think people just look at his numbers and think he must be lazy because he didn't completely dominate the SEC like he did the previous year. If he falls to the late 1st round this kid is going to have a chip on his shoulder and come into the league trying to prove something. Thats the kind of competitiveness and personality he has.

Kid torched Alabama in 2010. His qb gets thrown off of the team for smoking weed and his draft stock falters? What am I missing? I'd love to hear what Saban tells BB about him.

2010 88 rec 1517 yd 17.2ypc and 9td's

against bama 7 rec 127yd and two td's

2011 49rec 762yd 15.6ypc and 8 td's

Normally this stuff is unattributed so I don't give it much credence, however if Rappaport is citing Rumblings then you can bet it will happen.

Sanu/Jeffrey at the end of the first

Criner/Quick mid second

Streeter/Hill late second

Adams/Jones third

Jones/Givens fourth

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes