PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

RUMOR: COLTS made decision to drop Manning weeks ago..

Status
Not open for further replies.
That Lowe tweet was smoke, there is indeed some fire making that smoke

Anyone in here...or anywhere that thought one of the highest heralded QBs coming out of the draft in over a decade was going to ride the bench for 3 or more years while Peyton was still the Colts starting QB was a pure moron...plain and simple.

Guys like Andrew Luck who is expected by many to be among the next generations Elite Quarterbacks are not about to waste 3 years on the bench.....even if they don't pan out to be what they look to be right now.

Peyton was going to play elsewhere or retire or the Colts were going to trade that top pick for multiple draft picks......there was no doubt and there shouldn't have been any...ever during this season.

Last edited:
That Lowe tweet was smoke, there is indeed some fire making that smoke

Agreed.

A couple months back folks were saying I was nuts when I predicted that Manning wouldn't be with the Colts next season. Between his salary hit, and the lingering doubts about his medical status, it just isn't prudent to keep him on the team in any capacity other than coaching or front office.

Having a neck injury isn't anywhere near what a knee or even shoulder situation might develop into. True enough, every player is one solid hit away from medical retirement. But a neck injury could lead to a Daryl Stingley type situation, something that, I would hope, NO ONE here would want to see.

Having to use a cane or such is a whole lot different than potentially being paralyzed from the neck down. Or worse.

I respect Manning a great deal for his skill and abilities as a football player. I'd rather see him retire from playing than risk being in a wheelchair, and I'm convinced that the Colt's own insurers have got to have had some words with Irsay about the situation.

It's going to be an interesting few weeks, though.

Last edited:
you have to agree....the recent trend..the past five years or so...these #1 picks come in and START...look no further than Cam Newton last season...the hype around Luck is intergalactic..hard to even fathom the Colts locking up, what...40+ million in cap on TWO players...that's suicidal

What if Luck doesnt live up to expectations?

Lots of QBs are the next greatest NFL draft pick only to flop. Luck hasnt played a down in the Big Boy league and folks are acting like he is a cant miss player. Furthermore, Luck has to follow in the foot steps of a great QB and HOFer.

There's a lot of die hard Manning loyalists in the Indy fan base. They won't like this.

And if Luck turns out to be the second coming of Ryan Leaf... It might completely destroy the Colts organization.

There's a lot of die hard Manning loyalists in the Indy fan base. They won't like this.

And if Luck turns out to be the second coming of Ryan Leaf... It might completely destroy the Colts organization.

And your problem with that is..... ????? :D

Lots of QBs are the next greatest NFL draft pick only to flop. Luck hasnt played a down in the Big Boy league and folks are acting like he is a cant miss player. Furthermore, Luck has to follow in the foot steps of a great QB and HOFer.

Not only that. The Colts are expected to over-haul their team on both sides of the ball.

Reggie Wayne and Pierre Garcon are UFA. Anthony Gonzalez can't stay healthy. Mathis is rumored to be leaving. Costanzo didn't look too great at LT. The rest of their O-line is mediocre. They don't have any very good RBs.

Anyone in here...or anywhere that thought one of the highest heralded QBs coming out of the draft in over a decade was going to ride the bench for 3 or more years while Peyton was still the Colts starting QB was a pure moron...plain and simple.

Guys like Andrew Luck who is expected by many to be among the next generations Elite Quarterbacks are not about to waste 3 years on the bench.....even if they don't pan out to be what they look to be right now.

Peyton was going to play elsewhere or retire or the Colts were going to trade that top pick for multiple draft picks......there was no doubt and there shouldn't have been any...ever during this season.

While I didn't expect Luck to ride the bench, I expected the Colts to trade down because they have so many holes on their team.

The problem for Luck is not only does he become a rookie QB for the worst team in the NFL last season but he also enters a franchise in disaster...from the owner to an all new coaching staff.

At least Ryan,Bradford,Newton and a few of the other new decade QBs didn't have chaos in the Front Office and coaching staff upon getting drafted as the Colts appear to have.

While I didn't expect Luck to ride the bench, I expected the Colts to trade down because they have so many holes on their team.

So did I DaBruinz

I thought Irsay was going to try and copy what Belichick has done and get more bang for his buck with 3 or 4 high picks in the next year or two and maybe even draft a lower round QB this year or if patient, wait for a chance to draft Barkeley next year.

Last edited:
Too much smoke around this....there's a fire somewhere.

It must be very bizarre for Colts fans to think that they in all likelihood have seen Manning's last snap as a Colt and absolutely no one was aware it was even a possibility at the time. Talk about going out with a whimper.

I would dump him too. The team is a wreck and even if he was playing this year they were a 6 win team. He makes too much for a team that needs to rebuild and can get a remarkably highly rated QB at a very reasonable price with the new salary cap. All this being said I hope the Colts fail completely. I like Payton and wish him a long and happy retirement.

One day they'll learn to stop going for top draft picks?

Frankly, I hope not.

I find it amusing that it's highly likely that the Indianapolis Colts are going to sever ties with Peyton Manning for naught whilst the New England Patriots received a 2nd round draft pick for Matt Cassel and the Oakland Raiders paid a handsome sum to the Bengals for a turnover merchant.

Last edited:
I find it amusing that it's highly likely that the Indianapolis Colts are going to sever ties with Peyton Manning for naught whilst the New England Patriots received a 2nd round draft pick for Matt Cassel and the Oakland Raiders paid a handsome sum to the Bengals for a turnover merchant.

As someone else noted on this forum, basically Manning and his agent crafted a contract that makes it impossible for the Colts to trade him. . . . and that's probably a significant part of why Bill Polian got his a** canned.

Watching Irsay and his new GM i think its already happened, which is good.

So did I DaBruinz

I thought Irsay was going to try and copy what Belichick has done and get more bang for his buck with 3 or 4 high picks in the next year or two and maybe even draft a lower round QB this year or if patient, wait for a chance to draft Barkeley next year.
Irays not bright enough or has to much of an ego for that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes