PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Rumor: Branch to Jets for 2nd and a "pretty good player"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remix 6 said:
because hes not as good as stats indicate?

care to elaborate? As I posted in another thread the guy caught 43 balls last season with Pennington, Bollinger and I beleive Vinny throwing him the ball. How does that indicate a receiver sucks? To me that shows he has the capability of getting open.

NEM said:
If BB allows a trade to the Jets.... I will lose some respect for him. You dont, you do not, you just dont trade a player of Branch's capabilities to a division rival....no no no no no no no no no no no no no

Of course, there is always the mid field, full speed meeting between Branch, Harrison and Wilson in game 2. OUCH

I would not have thought that 5 or 6 years ago, but after Bledsoe not sure about anything. Consider that NE knows all of the strengths and weaknesses of Branch, thus we negate him in head to head competition. Seems over the past couple of years any former player we have faced has not been a great factor in any of the games. Branch is made better because of Brady, and he will not be made as good with Chadwick as the QB.

mgcolby said:
What? Why would you cut a #2 receiver who has averaged over 50 catches a season for the past the 3?

He's been a dog this camp.....that's what has been in the papers. Plus it's a new regime. I've watched him he's not a very good player, average at his best.

Coles is their #1 and #2 receiver.....Cotchery is better and probably Dwight too.

mgcolby said:
What? Why would you cut a #2 receiver who has averaged over 50 catches a season for the past the 3?
Check out his rotoworld page.

mgcolby said:
care to elaborate? As I posted in another thread the guy caught 43 balls last season with Pennington, Bollinger and I beleive Vinny throwing him the ball. How does that indicate a receiver sucks? To me that shows he has the capability of getting open.

heres what Jets say

I dont know about this trade....I still believe hes a system WR that will be average on another team. If thats the case, lets keep McCarreins who may be average, but so is his salray compared to what Mr.Branch is gonna be making.

He has gotten overhyped because of the SuperBowl MVP and all the press that the Pats get. But I think we already have this guy on the team...his name is Coles.

2nd Round Pick and a "Good Player".....they ain't talking about McCariens. I am guessing the Pats are going after the likes of Dwayne Robertson, Bryan Thomas, Erik Coleman, or Justin Miller. Somebody young with updside.

I just don't think Branch is worth 6 million per year, a 2nd Round Pick, and a "GOOD Player"

Pats67 said:

Perhaps.....things have improved of late but I've watched him play a lot and I'd rather have Childress, Caldwell and Stone. Just my IMO.

Pats67 said:

Sounds like he was in the dog house early and has since worked his way out of it. I still feel it would be a good deal for us.

Pats67 said:

It's also interesting to note that, per that rotoworld page, the Jets would take a 4 million dollar salary cap hit for dealing him. It makes it seem unlikely that he'd be involved in any deal.

Yeah, it's this "pretty good player" thingy that has me concerned.

mgcolby said:
His capabilities are negated by their QB situation, who the hell is going to throw him the ball? How is that person going to throw the ball behind a line that is going to start two rookies at key positions? Calm down if we get McCariens and a second round pick you should be drinking at the Arizona pats fans club watering hole in celebration.

That was my first thought when I heard the JETS name mentioned as one of two offers. Will be a good opportunity to prove or disprove the Deion Branch theory. Noodle is Noodle at best and at worst he's Rob Johnson or a rookie before mid season.

Wounded/failed/rookie QB, new tiny WR whose skill set is predicated on QB savvy, no RB, barely dug their way temporarily out of cap hell by trading an all pro DE and reworking contracts like mad (Chad's will come back and bite them with incentives if he plays), rookie OC, rookie HC.....

Do it. It sucks for Tommy on a personal level, but he's going to the HOF because he can win without elite weapons and not overpaying for Branch will allow BB to acquire more football players to whom winning matters going forward.

Remix 6 said:
heres what Jets say

The guy has been consistent for the past 3 seasons and after one training camp under Mangini he suddenly sucks? I'm not buying it. And saying he is an average receiver isn't an insult in this scenario becasue we know Brady can suddenly make an average receiver look above average.

^shows how Brady made Caldwell look during preseason so far hasnt it? Hes average aswell..how about Andre Davis? Or Bethel? They were average..how good did he make them? shhhhhhhhhhhh

Last edited:
The Next One said:
It's also interesting to note that, per that rotoworld page, the Jets would take a 4 million dollar salary cap hit for dealing him. It makes it seem unlikely that he'd be involved in any deal.
Yeah, I was surprised that they didn't make that link. Taken seperately, it sounds like McCareins has worked his way out of the doghouse after a rough start, but that 4M hit trumps everything it seems to me.

I just don't think he qualifies as a 'pretty good player', whatever the hell that phrase means.

MoLewisrocks said:
That was my first thought when I heard the JETS name mentioned as one of two offers. Will be a good opportunity to prove or disprove the Deion Branch theory. Noodle is Noodle at best and at worst he's Rob Johnson or a rookie before mid season.

Wounded/failed/rookie QB, new tiny WR whose skill set is predicated on QB savvy, no RB, barely dug their way temporarily out of cap hell by trading an all pro DE and reworking contracts like mad (Chad's will come back and bite them with incentives if he plays), rookie OC, rookie HC.....

Do it. It sucks for Tommy on a personal level, but he's going to the HOF because he can win without elite weapons and not overpaying for Branch will allow BB to acquire more football players to whom winning matters going forward.

I forgot they drafted Clemmons, I think he will be good. But I agree pull the trigger unless the Seahawks are offering someone better and not a receiver we don't need the Pats receivers comind down with a case of Seahawk-itis.

mgcolby said:
The guy has been consistent for the past 3 seasons and after one training camp under Mangini he suddenly sucks? I'm not buying it. And saying he is an average receiver isn't an insult in this scenario becasue we know Brady can suddenly make an average receiver look above average.

I'm saying I've watched him play and he's not 'a pretty good player.'

I'll take the draft pick and trust whatever else happens but you won't like player and his hamstring that is continually tweaked.

Remix 6 said:
^shows how Brady made Caldwell look during preseason so far hasnt it? Hes average aswell..how about Andre Davis? Or Bethel? They were average..how good did he make them? shhhhhhhhhhhh

Shhhhhh what? Why do you have to argue like an ass all the time? Do you find that juvenile **** funny?

But since were playing the game please refer back to Patten, Givens and Dwight (See how that works?). All average players that Brady made better. But he also has made Stone and Childress look good this pre-season but why let that get in the way.

Clonamery said:
I'm saying I've watched him play and he's not 'a pretty good player.'

I'll take the draft pick and trust whatever else happens but you won't like player and his hamstring that is continually tweaked.

That is fine, I respect your opinion. We will just have to agree to disagree on this one.

mgcolby said:
Shhhhhh what? Why do you have to argue like an ass all the time? Do you find that juvenile **** funny?

But since were playing the game please refer back to Patten, Givens and Dwight (See how that works?). All average players that Brady made better. But he also has made Stone and Childress look good this pre-season but why let that get in the way.

Stone has looked good? must of missed it? Childress in AZ game sure but so did Cassell

Dwight had 600+ yard season before and quiet a lot of 400 yards..he really didnt look above average here .. or at least not different than the rest of his career

Patten i can agree somewhat on but i give you the Givens. But what about Caldwell? He was average-good..we'll have to wait and see

Remix 6 said:
Stone has looked good? must of missed it? Childress in AZ game sure but so did Cassell

Dwight had 600+ yard season before and quiet a lot of 400 yards..he really didnt look above average here .. or at least not different than the rest of his career

Patten i can agree somewhat on but i give you the Givens. But what about Caldwell? He was average-good..we'll have to wait and see

I wasn't a big Caldwell fan from the get go on that deal. I figured he had shown potential in SD but never fullfilled it. I am still not ready to throw in the towel on him, yet. Mostly because of the reports that were coming out early in camp. I hope he finds whatever it is that he lost since then and plays well. Look I don't think McCrariens is going to come here and set the world on fire but I think he would fit in well with our scheme and could catch more than fifty balls. Which would be adequate in replacing Branch especially if Watson can stay healthy all season. And of course the mysterious wild card Jackson.

Maybe I reached a little on Stone. :cool:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes