PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Rumor: Boldin for a 2nd round pick

Status
Not open for further replies.
This..... Boldin isn't stupid. I suspect for a decent salary and the chance to play here he might well go for that.

play here? at least with the cards, he won a playoff game?

what would be so enticing for him to want to be here instead?

zip, except for straight ca$h homey. Why would he want to split the ball with Moss, and ventually Welker ? This would be Adalius, part deux !

zip, except for straight ca$h homey. Why would he want to split the ball with Moss, and ventually Welker ? This would be Adalius, part deux !

oh no.....when he gets here, he will walk by the pats HOF at the stadium and will get the 'mystique' juices flowing.......he'll be like Larry Bird and say 'I woulda signed for nothing' :singing:

If the Patriots got Boldin, Brady might break his 2007 records LOL

No

Boldin is good but Welker will miss some of the season and Moss is 3 years older and coming off a pretty bad season injury wise.

If anything we'll just have a more balanced WR corps and Brady can get back to spreading the ball around to people that can catch

Have another future HoF QB throwing you the ball

HoF QBs don't grow on trees. If I were WR with not much post season success I certainly would love the chance to play with a guy who is a proven winner.

Brees, Manning, Brady, any of those guys would suit me fine

Last edited:
My dad told me about a rumor he heard somewhere....

Has anyone else heard this?
My uncle's cousin told me his neighbor's boss had lunch with a guy whose wife told him that a guy she works with overheard one of his coworkers say that a guy on the internet read that someone on another site posted somewhere that someone read on some forum that someone in the organization said he heard at a meeting it was a third round pick.

Has anyone else heard this?

But......
Theres money in the kitty. And Moss may not be around in 2011. No-one knows how Welker is going to rebound.

Fortune favours the brave. This would be a brave move.
The expression actually is Fortune favors the foolish, or Fortune favors fools.

It is a Chinese probverb:
Yong ren duo hou fu.

But use the right expression and I agree:

Fortune favors the foolish.

This would be a foolish move.

Yong ren duo hou fu.

In Chinese, perhaps. In Latin, it's Fortuna favet fortibus (or, sometimes, audaci)—"Fortune favors the bold."

Last edited:

HoF QBs don't grow on trees. If I were WR with not much post season success I certainly would love the chance to play with a guy who is a proven winner.

I think the chance to have a Brady, Manning, or Brees throwing you the ball is enticing to any WR. Besides, if the Cards or anyone else are not going to give him a new deal before his current deal expires, his best option is to go to a team with a great QB who will get him the ball and give him stats that will get him a big contract. Will Matt Leinhart get him those stats? I doubt it.

I think it is ridiculous to believe that no free agents want to come to New England. It might not have the mystique that it had 5 years ago, but it is a team that has won six of the last seven division titles, haven't had less than 10 wins since 2002, has gone to two AFC Championships in the last five years, and gone to one Super Bowl. There is still a lot of reason to want to come to New England. This team isn't the Raiders.

Yes but how do you know that's what Boldin wants? Hasn't he indicated that he wants to be paid #1 WR money? Correct me if I'm wrong but that year he was unhappy and whining, did that not happen during a SUPER BOWL RUN?

These aren't even his biggest issues, the guy misses alot of games. We are taking a bigtime risk if you sacrifice a 2nd rounder and give him the money he's looking for.

He's a very good wide receiver, and give us a very talented top 2 with Moss. I'd love for it to happen, and I don't see us getting anything better to help us out over the next couple of years with a 2nd.

Yong ren duo hou fu.

you need to stay away from the fortune cookies.

We have gaping holes at OL, LB, have many of our own FA. Why would BB spend a 2Rd pick on 30yr old WR who missed 4 games in '07 and '08. This would be CAP lunacy. For a change use the Draft to build the team up. Stop chasing after these FA.

BTW, we had a chance to draft Bolding coming out of FSU, but passed him up for ? wanna guess ?...........all world WR Bethel Johnson.:bricks:

First, Boldin won't be 30 until midseason in 2010. Also, when did 30 become old for a WR? Moss was 32 this year and still was a top WR.

Second, why would the Pats give up using draft picks to acquire veteran talent. Using draft picks for veterans got the Pats Corey Dillon, Ted Washington, Randy Moss, and Wes Welker. Boy the Pats should have saved their draft picks rather than get those guys.

Third, how would it be cap lunacy? We don't know what Boldin would settle for. We know what he wanted two years ago.

Fourth, just because the Pats passed on Boldin in the draft (just like every team), doesn't mean their opinion has changed on him. That would be like saying that if the Pats offered up Brady in a trade for Boldin to Arizona that they would decline the trade because they passed on Brady in the draft six time in 2000.

Fifth, Boldin's durability is a concern, but it also lowers Boldins value in a trade and him getting a new deal. I think Boldin will be traded for less than a second and I think he will be forced to settle for far less than he wanted two years ago.

Yes but how do you know that's what Boldin wants? Hasn't he indicated that he wants to be paid #1 WR money? Correct me if I'm wrong but that year he was unhappy and whining, did that not happen during a SUPER BOWL RUN?

These aren't even his biggest issues, the guy misses alot of games. We are taking a bigtime risk if you sacrifice a 2nd rounder and give him the money he's looking for.
I think anybody who plays a game for a living has a competitive nature.

He may want to get paid, however to play for a winner he might play for a little less

We have gaping holes at OL, LB, have many of our own FA. Why would BB spend a 2Rd pick on 30yr old WR who missed 4 games in '07 and '08. This would be CAP lunacy. For a change use the Draft to build the team up. Stop chasing after these FA.

BTW, we had a chance to draft Bolding coming out of FSU, but passed him up for ? wanna guess ?...........all world WR Bethel Johnson.:bricks:

1.) "We" have a gaping hole at WR

2.) 30 is not too old for a receiver

3.) There is no CAP for there to be any CAP lunacy.

4.) Using draft picks to get excellent players is precisely how you build a team up.

5.) A traded player is not a free agent

So, other than all of that...

Boldin has been a better NFL receiver than Bethel Johnson. Good call, there.

They have to give up a #2 pick (worth gold by the way) AND PAY HUGE HUGE Salary??

NO!!

If anything wait til he gets cut cause he's so mad at his salary.

I don't really like the idea of paying a new guy so much coin whereas we are about to say goodbye to valient soldier Wilfork. Maybe Boldin will attitude it up here or something. Maybe he can't learn the playbook? Although that's kind of unlikely, but still.

Why did we get rid of Gaffney again?

3.) There is no CAP for there to be any CAP lunacy.

As has been pointed out in numerous sources, though, that doesn't mean the Pats can spend as much as they want with impunity.

As has been pointed out in numerous sources, though, that doesn't mean the Pats can spend as much as they want with impunity.

No

But they can afford to pay him big for a year and give him a decent salary for a few more

No

But they can afford to pay him big for a year and give him a decent salary for a few more

There's a rule that you cant have more than a certain percent droppage in salary from one year to the next. If he's still looking for #1 WR or anything like it, it's a major risk for us, not knowing what the constraints, if any, will be beyond this year.

There's a rule that you cant have more than a certain percent droppage in salary from one year to the next. If he's still looking for #1 WR or anything like it, it's a major risk for us, not knowing what the constraints, if any, will be beyond this year.

It's 50% I believe

that means if we're willing to pay him 7 million a year we can pay him 14 next season

Hardly an amount of money worth turning your nose up at

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing