Welcome to PatsFans.com

RUMOR:Antoine Cason is coming for a visit to Foxboro this weekend

Discussion in 'Patriots Draft Talk' started by DefenseRules, Mar 11, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DefenseRules

DefenseRules Rookie

Ratings:
    +97 / 0 / -1

#12 Jersey

at least that's what the guys at Patriots Insiders are reporting. As we get closer to the weekend, we will probably hear more about it if it's "legit".
    Last edited: Mar 11, 2008
  2. SeanBruschi54

SeanBruschi54 Rookie

Ratings:
    +41 / 0 / -1

#24 Jersey

somehow i already knew this.;)
  3. sebman2112

sebman2112 Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Well, it obviously doesn't mean they'll draft him, but it does show a decent amount of interest on their part, especially since they've already interviewed him. This would be the second CB that is scheduled to make his way up to Gillette, with Chevis Jackson being the other. I'm sure more will fallow as the draft gets closer.
  4. SeanBruschi54

SeanBruschi54 Rookie

Ratings:
    +41 / 0 / -1

#24 Jersey

Two good DB's brought in. Both bring a smile to my face.
  5. kas

kas Rookie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

Great news. Cason is my favourite corner prospect in this whole draft. The best ball skills I've seen in a prospect since Ed Reed. Although he lacks pure speed, he has great hips, agility, acceleration, and instincts. IMO he's probably the only corner that has the potential to start for us from day 1 and be effective.
  6. Seneschal2

Seneschal2 Rookie

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0

And he's a terrific kid! My favorite CB by far. As I've said so often, some are more athletically gifted -- but none play the position as well.
  7. primetime

primetime Rookie

Ratings:
    +165 / 22 / -10

#18 Jersey

Cason is a character player with alot of skill who can play both corner and safety. I'd love to get, say, him and Quentin Groves if they can somehow get a hold of the Cowboys' two picks (though Groves might already be gone by then).
  8. PatsFanJess

PatsFanJess Rookie

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

This is so exciting, if true. I LOVE Antoine. This was always the guy I could see in Patriots uniform. He's a stand out player and a stand out person. Hope we draft him:)
  9. chowder

chowder Rookie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

As others said, he is not the fastest CB out there, but he always seems to be in position to make a pick. Great ball skills!
  10. Ochmed Jones

Ochmed Jones Rookie

Ratings:
    +14 / 2 / -0

#12 Jersey

No Dwight Lowery has the best ball skilss in this draft. He has something like 13 interceptions in 15 games. Unfortunately he ran a 4.6 instead of 4.4, so like Gipson of Oregon a few years ago, Lowery becomes a footnote in college football history instead of an NFL player.
  11. sebman2112

sebman2112 Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Yea, and he's not slow either. Go back and watch some of his game film, and you'll notice that he looked pretty quick/fast on some of those INT and punt returns. Timed speed and game speed are two different things, and I honestly think Cason has all the game speed/quickness you'll need out of a CB.
  12. flasox27

flasox27 Rookie

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -4

#54 Jersey

Keep in mind that Samuel was no burner either. The zone coverage they play relies more on closing speed than straight line speed.
  13. kas

kas Rookie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

I disagree. First look at the competition - Lowery played at San Jose St IIRC, while Cason played at Arizona in the Pac 10.

Also, I consider ball skills to be a lot more than just interceptions. It's locating the ball in the air to avoid PI calls. It's justing the flight path of the pass correctly and being to reach the ball at it's highest point and getting your hands on it. Admittedly, I've never seen Lowery play, but from what I've seen of Cason he plays the ball like a WR - he attacks the ball and gets it at the highest point, and rarely misjudges it.
  14. PatsandTrojans55

PatsandTrojans55 Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Actually, Lowery is not as good as Cason. Lowery's pick were inhanced by mediocre QB's who didn't have as good of skills at reading the defenses like the QB's Cason faced in the Pac-10. Don't read so much into INT'S at the lower D-1 levels. Ball skills have alot to do with being in position on Ball arrival as well as read and react.
    Last edited: Mar 13, 2008
  15. PatsandTrojans55

PatsandTrojans55 Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

The Pats LOVE Cason. If you have met him you would know why.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.