PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Rules Question....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Va_Pats_Fan

Rotational Player and Threatening Starter's Job
Reaction score
My buddy and I were discussing football in general last night, and a rules question came up which neither of us had the answer to. I am hoping some wise person here knows the answer.

Situation: QA drops back to pass. Pocket collapses, ball goes to the ground, recovered by the defence. Call on the field is a fumble recovered by the defence. The offence challenges the play, claiming that the QB's knee was down before the ball came lose. The referee reviews the play and sees 2 things:

1. The ball was out before the knee hits the ground.
2. The QB was hauled down by an illegal face mask, that went onseen on the initial play.

My question is, can the referee reverse the call of the fumble, and call a 15 yard facemask on the D?

no, review is very specific. the coach challenging the play has to state what he is refuting and the officials rule on that alone.

no, review is very specific. the coach challenging the play has to state what he is refuting and the officials rule on that alone.
That's not true, when they review a play they review everything reviewable. If they notice a guy stepped out of bounds whereas they didn't see it before, they will call it. On the other hand, penalties aren't reviewable so they wouldn't be able to call it after-the-fact.

number of men on the field is reviewable...thats a penalty if there are more than 11...

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes