Welcome to PatsFans.com

Rule of Law: 1, Police State: 0

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by Pujo, Jun 12, 2007.

1. Pujo

Pujo Rookie

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

Source: http://www.cnn.com/2007/LAW/06/11/terror.ruling.ap/index.html

Now they're not saying Bush can't go after terrorists, and they're not saying we have to give up and convert to Islam, but they are saying the military can't just seize people who live in America, on American soil, and lock them up forever. And this is the most conservative federal circuit saying that. I'm assuming we have 100% agreement that it's a good thing we live in America, a rule-of-law country?
  2. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +264 / 10 / -26

3. BelichickFan

BelichickFan B.O. = Fugazi PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +426 / 10 / -11

#24 Jersey

The lawyer types I saw on TV last night thought this would get overturned. I'm not a lawyer so I don't know all the ins and outs but the high level concept of having to let likely terrorists walk out, no I'm not in agreement with you.
  4. Patters

Patters Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +184 / 4 / -6

So, if by some fluke, your name ended up on a terrorist list, you would respect the right of the government to lock you up indefinitely? If that's true, then you have even greater faith in government than I do.
  5. Pujo

Pujo Rookie

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

If we just locked everyone up, we wouldn't have any terrorists walking around :rolleyes:

To me, there are some things worth protecting, and us having a society built on law and order is one of them.
  6. BelichickFan

Ratings:
    +426 / 10 / -11

#24 Jersey

I'm fine with us being given the option to charge him or release him. I realize he was here legally but as I said years ago, all non U.S. citizen middle easterners I would have kicked their asses back to their homeland on 9/12/01. Those who had become citizens I guess we'd be stuck with. Maybe it's not their fault that enough of their countrymen are freaks but it is what it is and I'd rather have one innocent guy locked up than have him blow up a few thousand.
  7. PATSNUTme

PATSNUTme Paranoid Homer Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +168 / 2 / -1

#75 Jersey

I'm fine with this as long as it doesn't get broadened to include non- American citizens.

I agree that American citizens that are part of terrorist groups and plotting againts us should be tried for treason right here in American courts.
  8. Pujo

Pujo Rookie

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

This ruling had nothing to do with citizens, it had to do with a a legal, non-citizen resident.
  9. patsfan13

patsfan13 Hall of Fame Poster PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +160 / 7 / -13

The 2 so called 'conservative' judges who voted against the administration, were both Clinton appointee's. I just love how the 'objective, non biased' journalist's at CNN present
    the news.
  10. Pujo

Pujo Rookie

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

Like it or not, the 4th Circuit in Virginia is seen as the most conservative circuit court. Now circuit judges usually sit in 3 judge panels so there's potential for the court's more liberal judges to make a decision, but this is still very different from the 9th Circuit in California making this ruling.
    Last edited: Jun 12, 2007
  11. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +433 / 5 / -2

The same law and order that permits the open, and free invasion of our country at the southern border? But I digress....

Legally speaking, I'm not sure this decision is going to hold as I remember, and I might be wrong here since it was a while ago, seeing something regarding a "legal" residents rights versus that of an actual citizen. Again, I think I might be wrong, but I think there is a difference between the two in a legal sense. Never the less, I agree with the decision without knowing the specifics of what this person is alleged to be guilty of. I'm not a fan, nor a supporter, of rounding people up without any form of due process, especially americans on american soil.
  12. BelichickFan

Ratings:
    +426 / 10 / -11

#24 Jersey

I agree that we can't just lock them up forever. But we owe legal residents nothing, if we think they're up to no good then put them on trial or ship their ass back home.
  13. Pujo

Pujo Rookie

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

Fine, ship their ass home, but don't lock them up without due process. Just like you can't invite someone into your home and beat the crap out of them because they don't live there, you can't invite someone into your country, allow them to live there, and then abuse them.
  14. Real World

Ratings:
    +433 / 5 / -2

Yes, but you said it well, put them on trial.
  15. PATSNUTme

PATSNUTme Paranoid Homer Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +168 / 2 / -1

#75 Jersey

Oh, in that case we should still try him in US courts.

After we cut his balls off and stuff them in his mouth.
  16. Pujo

Pujo Rookie

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

I always say, never let justice get in the way of good entertainment.
  17. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +538 / 2 / -9

You Are Now Witnessing The Beginning Of The End Of The Great America That Once Was.

When You Start Slobbering Over The Criminal And Ignoring The Law Abiding Citizen Then The America We Once Knew Will Come Crashing Down And Destroy You All.

Kruschev Said To JFK, "Your Enemy Won't Have To Fire A Shot You Will Destroy Yourselves From Within"

We Have Already been Invaded, Not One Shot Was Fired.

:bricks:
  18. Pujo

Pujo Rookie

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

Don't worry about it Harry, you've lived a good life in Old America, the younger generations will take care of America for better or worse... it won't be your problem.
  19. Real World

Ratings:
    +433 / 5 / -2

Yeah but it will be mine, and every other citizen taxpayers. :mad: But lets not hijack the thread fellas.
  20. Patters

Patters Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +184 / 4 / -6