Welcome to PatsFans.com

Rubio reconciles science and religion!

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by Tunescribe, Dec 5, 2012.

1. Tunescribe

Tunescribe PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,210 / 5 / -19

#61 Jersey

Is this evidence of the GOP creeping toward reasonable science-based perspectives? We can only hope.

Marco Rubio: Earth Is 4.5 Billion Years Old, Created By God

WASHINGTON -- Sen. Marco Rubio (R-Fla.) was widely mocked in November for saying he wasn't sure of the age of the Earth. On Wednesday, he assured the public that he does know the Earth's age: it's about 4.5 billion years old, and he doesn't think that fact is inconsistent with his Roman Catholic faith.

"There is no scientific debate on the age of the Earth, it's established pretty definitively, it's at least 4.5 billion years old," he told Politico's Mike Allen at a Playbook breakfast Wednesday. "I was referring to a theological debate."

Rubio said last month that the age of the Earth is "one of the great mysteries," telling GQ's Michael Hainey, "I'm not a scientist, man."

"I'm not a theologian either," he told Allen on Wednesday. "To the extent that there is any kind of debate about the age of the Earth scientifically, I'm not in a position really to mediate that. But on the theological debate, the theological debate is how do you reconcile what science has established with what you may think your faith teaches."

He said he isn't conflicted about possible discrepancies between the two views. In the Bible, God creates the universe in a seven-day period, and many Christians believe it is only about 6,000 years old. But he said it's possible to believe in both creationism and scientific proof that the Earth is much older.