Welcome to PatsFans.com

Rove received and ignored Iranian peace offer

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by PressCoverage, Feb 27, 2007.

1. PressCoverage

PressCoverage Banned

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0

x-Congressional Aide: Karl Rove Personally Received (And Ignored) Iranian Peace Offer in 2003
    http://www.democracynow.org/article.pl?sid=07/02/26/157241

While the Bush administration continues to insist it has no plans to go to war with Iran, the New Yorker magazine is reporting the Pentagon has created a special panel to plan a bombing attack on Iran that could be implemented within 24 hours of getting the go-ahead from President Bush. According to investigative journalist Seymour Hersh, the planning group was established within the office of the Joint Chiefs of Staff in recent months.

This comes against the backdrop of last week's allegation that Bush's chief advisor Karl Rove personally received a copy of a secret offer from the Iranian government to hold negotiations four years ago. The Bush administration decided to ignore the grand bargain offer. Secretary of State Condoleeza Rice recently claimed she had never even seen the document. At the time Iran said it would consider far-reaching compromises on its nuclear program, relations with Hezbollah and Hamas and support for a Palestinian peace agreement with Israel.

Rove's involvement was revealed by an aide to former Republican congressman Bob Ney. The aide, Trita Parsi, said Ney was chosen by the Swiss Ambassador in Tehran to carry the Iranian proposal to the White House because he knew the Ohio Congressman to be the only Farsi-speaking member of Congress and particularly interested in Iran.
    Last edited: Feb 27, 2007
  2. PressCoverage

PressCoverage Banned

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0

yeah, "exhaust all diplomatic avenues", right? is there any doubt this administration is just itching to drop more bombs in the region? their silent treatment toward Iran just cements their agenda...
  3. PressCoverage

PressCoverage Banned

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0

one more part of that interview that i think is incredibly important:

AMY GOODMAN: Let me follow up on this point, because it is certainly a key one. Seymour Hersh, in The New Yorker magazine, reporting that the Bush administration and Saudi Arabia are pumping money for covert operations in many areas of the Middle East, including Lebanon, Syria and Iran, in an effort to strengthen Saudi-sported Sunni Islam group and weaken Iranian-backed Shias. Some of the covert money has been given to jihadist groups in Lebanon with ties to al-Qaeda. So, supporting the Sunnis over the Shia and working with Saudi Arabia to funnel that money.

TRITA PARSI: And basically says that the United States is not trying to resolve the civil war in Iraq. Rather, it’s taking sides in the civil war. And ironically, it’s taking the same side as al-Qaeda is doing.
  4. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +359 / 11 / -27

The question for me is if he did receive such an offer, why was he in position to do this?? Seems like a lot of responsibility for the chief of staff of the White House... as much as I think he is an idiot, how does he fit into the chain of command?? WHy was no one else involved.
  5. patsfan13

patsfan13 Hall of Fame Poster PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +227 / 8 / -13

Yeah right the Iranians were trying to cut a deal with Rove and left Colin Powell out of the loop....;)
  6. iguide

iguide Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

7. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +509 / 6 / -2

Not only Colin Powell, but every other pertinent person in our government. Sounds like a pile on article to me.
  8. PressCoverage

PressCoverage Banned

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0

i'm guessing not a single one of you elephants even read or listened to the interview with Trita Parsi, which answered your ridiculous questions thoroughly...

but i mean, why bother to actually read what's presented when you can just dismiss everything as "liberal nonsense" on a whim and sit there satiated with yourself?
  9. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +509 / 6 / -2

I have problems with the interview.

And this time around, the Iranians gave a proposal to the Swiss ambassador that he then sent to the Swiss foreign ministry in Bern, who faxed it onto the State Department, but the Swiss ambassador also made a personal visit to Washington, D.C. to brief the State Department about the proposal, and he also made sure that he met with Congressman Ney, who has been a longtime advocate for negotiations and dialogue between the United States and Iran, and he handed him the proposal, as well.

According to them, the State Department was faxed the proposal. If the proposal even existed, what did it say? Did it say nuke Israel and we can be friends? Or that Iran was open to dropping it's nuke program? If the document was indeed faxed to the State Department, then I'd have to believe all the key players were informed. If they were not informed, then it could have been because it was worthless (or could have been ignored too). I just don't buy that Iran, creator of Hamas and Hezbollah, funder of terrorism, aspirer of nuclear weapons, was open to be sincere friends. Furthermore, I'm always skeptical of people plugging a book, and using Seymour, or is it "Sy", Hersch as a legitimizer.
  10. Turd Furguson

Turd Furguson Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

The Iranians ended that offer with the word "NOT!"

Why not simply give ole W a text message with the "peace" offer?