PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

First round of cuts must be completed Tuesday

Status
Not open for further replies.
I can't go that far. Mankins has been a terrific player, but he was nowhere near his past Pro-Bowl level last year and was making a ton of money.

Mankins was making 6.25M in Salary. He had a 4M SB Cap hit. 6.25M isn't a lot when you have others making more than that.

If Tampa signs incognito they would have themselves some feisty pair of guards there.
That being said this is good news frees up a lot of cap next year to lock Mccourty and Revis.
Just goes to show nobody is safe on this team. This is a huge message being sent if you don't play up to your best in big games you want be here.
I still have memories of the Broncos D line savaging Mankins.
But a move tightend that can't block very interesting.
That pick better be a second or third.
Mallett is next and I hate to say it but Ridley might not be far behind.
How about Denard or Arrington would be a shocker for sure.

Aarington would not be a shocker

Only a 4th rounder for Mankins, so we're looking at yet another terrible trade by Belichick.

Only a 4th rounder for Mankins, so we're looking at yet another terrible trade by Belichick.

Don't be so fast to judge, DI. TE Tim Wright is quite a player, especially as a way to limit Gronk's snaps and still have a solid pass catcher. He's a 6-4 WR from Rutgers that the Buccaneers converted to TE. Revis played a full year with this kid. No way they make this move without asking him what he thought.

I'm nervous, too, about the OL without Mankins, but this is now DeGuglielmo's ship to sail. That may have had a lot to do with this move.

Don't be so fast to judge, DI. TE Tim Wright is quite a player, especially as a way to limit Gronk's snaps and still have a solid pass catcher. He's a 6-4 WR from Rutgers that the Buccaneers converted to TE. Revis played a full year with this kid. No way they make this move without asking him what he thought.

I'm nervous, too, about the OL without Mankins, but this is now DeGuglielmo's ship to sail. That may have had a lot to do with this move.

Not sure how we are going to use Wright, if at all. He is listed at 219lbs. I don't remember having a TE here within 25 lbs of that.

It's a terrible trade. I'm going to stay out of the Mankins thread, and I'm not going to focus on this, but it's a terrible trade.

So that's that issue settled.

You're welcome to think that

Wright + 4th rounder + $4m+ 2014 cap hit + $4m 2015 cap hit for Logan Mankins is as good a deal as you wish.

Does anyone have a count on how many more we have to release to get to 75?

None of the cuts today are a big surprise - yet. Is Gaffney eligible for the IR designation that allows him to return late in the season, or is that only available to players on the opening day roster? If healthy by week 10, it would be great to bring in a big back like him to carry some of the load down the stretch.

None of the cuts today are a big surprise - yet. Is Gaffney eligible for the IR designation that allows him to return late in the season, or is that only available to players on the opening day roster? If healthy by week 10, it would be great to bring in a big back like him to carry some of the load down the stretch.
Not if placed on IR today, as he will reportedly be.

It's a terrible trade. I'm going to stay out of the Mankins thread, and I'm not going to focus on this, but it's a terrible trade.

Brady's gonna have fun throwing to this guy:

Brady's gonna have fun throwing to this guy:

I really don't want to keep going down this road (no offense meant to you, I just don't want to derail this thread when there's another one for people to talk about the trade if they wish), but because your post is a direct response to mine:

"He hasn't played as well as Tim should be playing," Smith said. "He's dropped some balls. If you watched practice, he's dropped balls. But he's a big part of what we want to do with the two-receiver, two-tight-end set. Tim hasn't blocked as well inside. Once you're that H-back and you don't block, now they say you're just another receiver and teams start going nickel. If they do that at least you have to be a good pass catcher. Tim's a good player. He just hasn't played as well as he needs to lately."

http://espn.go.com/blog/tampa-bay-buccaneers/post/_/id/5661/lovie-smith-tim-wright-is-struggling

What makes the kelly cut even worse is that he was talking to the Cardinals. The Cards currently have Sopagua on their roster and if he makes the team we don't have to pay him.

What makes the kelly cut even worse is that he was talking to the Cardinals. The Cards currently have Sopagua on their roster and if he makes the team we don't have to pay him.

Why is it that you believe that Kelly signing with the Cardinals would mean the end of Sopoaga there? It doesn't mean that at all. They could have BOTH. And they do play different positions. Sopoaga is a true NT while Kelly is more of a 4-3 DT/UT.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back