PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Round 1 Picks 4 years and an option 5th year

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Round 1 Picks 4 years not 5

It would be great if a mod could edit this thread title to 4 years and an option 5th year...

It would be great if a mod could edit this thread title to 4 years and an option 5th year...

And it would be even better if they could move it to the practice squad, where this kind of trash belongs.

I don't get the complaints.

1. It will effect all teams equally.

2. Based on what I know of the BB philosophy of drafting. He probably will prefer the new structure over the old. BB unlike many on this board consider the draft a crap shoot. The lower downside of a cap hit and short time that a bust can harm the team would likely be music to his ears.

3. BB is not sentimental about keeping players, so the idea that some will be FA sooner is not likely to upset him.

4. BB is active in the FA market, he will be glad that 31 other teams 1st round draft picks are going to be FA sooner.

4. BB is active in the FA market, he will be glad that 31 other teams 1st round draft picks are going to be FA sooner.

Except that there won't be: if I understand correctly, teams will have options on a fifth year, so all the good ones will get optioned. Maybe he'll find a player who was misutilized à la Vrabel, but that doesn't seem too likely.

Except that there won't be: if I understand correctly, teams will have options on a fifth year, so all the good ones will get optioned. Maybe he'll find a player who was misutilized à la Vrabel, but that doesn't seem too likely.

Right now picks 1-16 can be signed for 6 years, and 17-32 for five years.

Under the new system everybody is signed for up to four years, with a fifth year option that the team has to exercise by the end of year 3.

Basically good players from 1-16 hit free agency a year sooner, good players from 17-32 are the same, cruddy players from 1-16 hit free agency two years sooner, and cruddy players from 17-32 hit free agency one year sooner.

Right now picks 1-16 can be signed for 6 years, and 17-32 for five years.

Under the new system everybody is signed for up to four years, with a fifth year option that the team has to exercise by the end of year 3.

Basically good players from 1-16 hit free agency a year sooner, good players from 17-32 are the same, cruddy players from 1-16 hit free agency two years sooner, and cruddy players from 17-32 hit free agency one year sooner.

Cruddy players generally hit free agency within 3 years.. ;)

Cruddy players generally hit free agency within 3 years.. ;)

alg_gholston.jpg

Another little nugget detail from Breer on the 5th year options. Those would be set/calculated based on year 3 of that players contract, so in year 5 they won't actually be getting what we have traditionally thought of as top ten for the position...they will be getting top ten from 2 years ago if their option is exercised. And I assume as Brandt used the language veteran players that as in the past franchise tagged players values won't be used in calculating top ten or top anything.

I overreacted and yes i am PESSIMISTIC at this new CBA. I hope my pessimism is undone by a nice CBA time will tell.

I overreact on some issues. I am passionate in my views especially w/ YOUTH and ppl like Lee Smith. Time will soon speak the truths of the new CBA. I don't buy unproven argument b/c every player has been there before. Have faith in their abilities and do not downplay future value when weighed vs. 1 year players

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes