PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Round 1-3 Mock "Trade-a-Rama" NFL Draft

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'll give you credit for effort, but the trades are more like "let's dump the players I don't like."

23 for Peppers
34 + James Sanders + David Thomas for Adrian Wilson

BTW . . . you do realize that trading Sanders would probably cost the Patriots cap room before they sign Wilson—and, of course, right now he's slated to be a FA next year.

47 = Jarron Gilbert
58 = James Casey
Maroney for 77 = Paul Kruger

Again, this would cost the Pats cap room.

89 = Eric Cook
97 = Rashad Jennings

This was purely for speculation, thought and fun.
I don't hate Maroney or Thomas. They are just the least valuable pieces to retain on our roster in trade scenarios. They are not as valuable as a Welker or a Mayo etc., at least not as of the last year. If one or two of these trades happened, it would be a kick but I have no visions of grandeur.

Sanders was put in because the trade with AZ might require a Safety back. We would not give up Merriweather. The Cards need a TE. We have 5. Thomas is in the dog house. Correct me if I am wrong, but when trading a player for player, the teams do not retain both CAPs.

For the record, I am not even crazy about our picks. It just worked out fairly and as realistic as I could imagine. Key word....imagine.

I admit it. I would like to have Wilson here starting as our SS. There is a possibility that they could actually move him. It's not pie in the sky. Would anyone on this forum rather have Wilson? Would I cry if we swapped him for Sanders................?

DW Toys

This was purely for speculation, thought and fun.
I don't hate Maroney or Thomas. They are just the least valuable pieces to retain on our roster in trade scenarios. They are not as valuable as a Welker or a Mayo etc., at least not as of the last year. If one or two of these trades happened, it would be a kick but I have no visions of grandeur.

You're entitled to your opinion; it just seems awfully convenient, though, given how often you've been harping on it, though, that the trades work out exactly that way.

Sanders was put in because the trade with AZ might require a Safety back. We would not give up Merriweather. The Cards need a TE. We have 5. Thomas is in the dog house. Correct me if I am wrong, but when trading a player for player, the teams do not retain both CAPs.

(A) I'm glad to see that you know exactly what BB is thinking, since I don't see any evidence that Thomas is "still" in BB's doghouse (was, maybe, but certainly not is).

(B) You're right that you don't retain the cap hit for the player you trade. That said, because 2010 is currently an uncapped year, the Patriots would have to absorb all the dead money for anyone they cut/trade on the 2009 cap. That means that they would have to absorb all of Sanders' signing bonus this year; if they traded Maroney they would have to absorb the 2010 portion of his signing bonus. In both cases, that means it would be cheaper for the Patriots to keep them then to cut them.

Last edited:
I admit it. I would like to have Wilson here starting as our SS. There is a possibility that they could actually move him. It's not pie in the sky. Would anyone on this forum rather have Wilson? Would I cry if we swapped him for Sanders................?

DW Toys

I've always liked Wilson and thought he was underrated, so I'm all for it, but it's not realistic.

If you want the best chance at getting Adrian Wilson, 8 years younger but without the contract, then go for Chip Vaughn at 58 or with a trade-down (or trade-up).

Just a couple quick thoughts just on the Pats first few pick.

I really liked the Sean Smith Pick at 34.

I think that player is going to be targeted. We have 4 DB spots by my count up for grabs.
I actually think this guy will play S and situational or matchup cornerback against big WR.

I paused on the Ayers pick by the Bills. Only because I think he is our DE/OLB at 24

I really think Ayers and Smith are Pats with their first 2 picks even if they have to move to get them.

Donald Brown is my 3rd pick for the Pats and I am just guessing on some serious trading up by our guys this year. Partly because only 4-5 new players are going to crack the roster.

Based on your draft the Pats would have to move up 2 times for the players I think fit but to spots they can easily get to.

Just a couple quick thoughts just on the Pats first few pick.

I really liked the Sean Smith Pick at 34.

I think that player is going to be targeted. We have 4 DB spots by my count up for grabs.
I actually think this guy will play S and situational or matchup cornerback against big WR.

I paused on the Ayers pick by the Bills. Only because I think he is our DE/OLB at 24

I really think Ayers and Smith are Pats with their first 2 picks even if they have to move to get them.

Donald Brown is my 3rd pick for the Pats and I am just guessing on some serious trading up by our guys this year. Partly because only 4-5 new players are going to crack the roster.

Based on your draft the Pats would have to move up 2 times for the players I think fit but to spots they can easily get to.

Cousin, I agree with you on Smith. It seems that coverage rather than hitter is at a premium now because of all of the TE passing routes and speed in that position. At 217, smith might be the "new" perfect S hybrid model.

The guy I want if we do not get Peppers or Taylor is 6' 7" Micheal Johnson as OLB/DE. Check his stats and combine/pro days. He will be a better pro than a college player with correct coaching. His coverage resp in the combine were smooth and fluid. He has dropped into coverage at GT.

I love Delmas but he is so similar to Merriweather. Everyone is clamoring for an OT. I believe what Reiss says and it is a Guard. I like Eric Woods who could be backup center as well.

TE might be a need as this is Watsons contract year and Thomas was in the dog house. James Casey is so diverse he can play WR, TE and QB in a Wildcat.

My ILB choice is a sleeper ther in Paul Kruger.

Thanks,
DW Toys

Toys,

Well thought out and off the wall with some things....but that is how the real NFL draft goes. Lets just say three month ago who would have thought Cutler would be the new QB for the Bears. Who could see TO going to the Bills?? and I could go on and on about his off season not to mention all the change in coaches. That is what make out league so great and fun to fallow...even during the long period before the draft.

Again enjoyable read :)

Last edited:
Has Peppers signed his paperwork with Carolina?

As of today Sunday; he has not. Everyone down here is a bit confused with his situation. Tha Panthers can't order Pizza to their office until this is settled one way of another. Peppers is getting ripped on the local sports radio.

Yeah I'm sure the Cardinals would trade their best defensive player and one of the league's best safeties for a 2nd round pick, a TE who has proven nothing in the league (and may be in danger of being cut if the Patriots take a TE), and a mediocre starting safety who was just re-signed. Where are the Patriots getting the money to pay Peppers and Wilson? And Paul Kruger is a mid-first to early-second pick, not a mid-third.

I could see the Texans trade, but only barely. The Texans have a young stud in Steve Slaton and there's plenty of backs available at that pick who could be just as good if not better than Maroney. They also signed Chris Brown, who's been a productive back in the league and is still relatively young, plus they have Ryan Moats who is a very good third down back. I don't see it.

Last edited:
Has Peppers signed his paperwork with Carolina?

As of today Sunday; he has not. Everyone down here is a bit confused with his situation. Tha Panthers can't order Pizza to their office until this is settled one way of another. Peppers is getting ripped on the local sports radio.

The way I see it that Peppers agent is blackmailing the Panthers. If he does not sign, they can't trade him. If he does and he decides to stay, they are screwed.
I can see the agent making them sign a side bar agreement that he must be traded and to certain teams as the deals can be worked....if not, we will take our time and handcuff you. So far....mission accomplished.
BB practically left him a personal message without tampering...."We cannot sign you until you sign your tender"
DW Toys

Last edited:
Yeah I'm sure the Cardinals would trade their best defensive player and one of the league's best safeties for a 2nd round pick, a TE who has proven nothing in the league (and may be in danger of being cut if the Patriots take a TE), and a mediocre starting safety who was just re-signed. Where are the Patriots getting the money to pay Peppers and Wilson? And Paul Kruger is a mid-first to early-second pick, not a mid-third.

I could see the Texans trade, but only barely. The Texans have a young stud in Steve Slaton and there's plenty of backs available at that pick who could be just as good if not better than Maroney. They also signed Chris Brown, who's been a productive back in the league and is still relatively young, plus they have Ryan Moats who is a very good third down back. I don't see it.

Fair enough

That's alot of movement. Some creative ideas. I am still a believer that Peppers should end up with Pat's. Maybe Seymour ends up in that move rather than giving up#23. Pat's draft Evander Hood at 23.

That's alot of movement. Some creative ideas. I am still a believer that Peppers should end up with Pat's. Maybe Seymour ends up in that move rather than giving up#23. Pat's draft Evander Hood at 23.

Thought about that too.
There is yet to be another shocker. No one should be surprised.
DW Toys

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back