PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Rough night for Hobbs?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow...you guys are insane. Hobbs is the weak link in the secondary, period. Opposing quarterbacks go after him all day. Helps that Samuel is on the other side, but please. Call them bad PI calls (which many are) but he got beat twice in the Indy game alone. One WAS a bad PI call, but the other, Wayne dropped.

Come back when you know what you're talking about, rather than changing your argument and acting as if we "guys" are wrong. This team rarely gets beaten deep on the corners. That is, in fact, exactly why they play the defense they do. In fact, feel free to look at last night's game for an example.

Last edited:
Nobody wants to mention the complete lack of QB pressure. I think it was mostly a schematic choice (I didn't see too many blitzes), but the pass rush didn't get near Feeley. Give an accurate QB six seconds to throw, and Champ Bailey is going to get beat more often than not. Belichick was happy to take away Westbrook and let Feeley try to beat them. Turns out it almost happened.

We blitzed a few times in the first half and got beat.

Wow...you guys are insane. Hobbs is the weak link in the secondary, period. Opposing quarterbacks go after him all day. Helps that Samuel is on the other side, but please. Call them bad PI calls (which many are) but he got beat twice in the Indy game alone. One WAS a bad PI call, but the other, Wayne dropped.

As I said, Hobbs has been getting beat on short routes, and inside routes. this is obviously something I don't like and think he needs to improve on. He's given up a few deep passes this season, but he usually has good coverage on deep passes, and is in position. Last week he was beat deep by Parrish when he fell down trying to cutback for the underthrown ball. Can you point out the other times he's been toasted "deep" this season? I don't really remember the Patriots secondary as a whole getting burned on deep passes this season.

Reggie Wayne's dropped pass doesn't count getting beat deep either, as it was Hobbs getting his hand/arm in front of Wayne that caused him to drop the ball. Last year in the AFCCG Hobbs had good coverage deep against Wayne and had a couple of nice breakups.

Way I saw it, Hobbs was beat more in the 10-25 yard range - I wasn't referring to true deep balls, the intermediate range was what was exploited last nite. And as you said, his cushion is a product of scheme.

OK. Sorry, you guys are right. Ellis Hobbs is a tremendous cornerback. My apologies...:)

And Asante got beat by Marvin Harrison for a TOUCHDOWN last year didn't he?

These pro-bowl WR's have a lot of talent ya know, you act as if every CB in the league is shutting them down except Hobbs...

Hobbs has the talent to play tight man coverage, but no matter what CB you are, tight man coverage with no help over the top opens up the risk for a big play. Other than falling down last week on the deep ball, Hobbs has not been beaten deep, no one in the secondary has. CJ got basically shut down, Hobbs was playing tight man on him with a double team (I think) for most of the night.

Why the breakdown on intermediate and inside routes? I don't know, but I'm sure BB will be working on it from now through the playoffs.

I didn't sift through this entire thread but when the heck is the last time Hobbs had an interception? That guy has hands of stone. He can't catch anything.

I didn't sift through this entire thread but when the heck is the last time Hobbs had an interception? That guy has hands of stone. He can't catch anything.

Ummm...last game, no?

Hobbs has been playing poorly as of late, but it is kind of unfair to put all the blame on his shoulders. Let's hope he can step up his game for the rest of the season...

Nobody wants to mention the complete lack of QB pressure. I think it was mostly a schematic choice (I didn't see too many blitzes), but the pass rush didn't get near Feeley. Give an accurate QB six seconds to throw, and Champ Bailey is going to get beat more often than not. Belichick was happy to take away Westbrook and let Feeley try to beat them. Turns out it almost happened.

This is something I noticed too.

It seemed the Patriots D-line really didn't get much pressure on Feeley, and the limited amount of pressure that was put on Feeley came from Vrabel, Colvin, AD, and Harrison. There was a few times where the pressure actually effected the play, but for the most part Feeley was able to get rid of the football before someone finally got close to him.

To me this was a combination of:
The D-line not playing at their usual level.
The Eagles O-line playing very good.
Vrabel didn't seem to be getting there as fast...shoulder might still be effecting him?
Feeley being able to hang in there under pressure to deliver the pass.
The secondary giving up leverage to easily, and their not making the adjustments soon enough.

And Asante got beat by Marvin Harrison for a TOUCHDOWN last year didn't he?

These pro-bowl WR's have a lot of talent ya know, you act as if every CB in the league is shutting them down except Hobbs...

Hobbs has the talent to play tight man coverage, but no matter what CB you are, tight man coverage with no help over the top opens up the risk for a big play. Other than falling down last week on the deep ball, Hobbs has not been beaten deep, no one in the secondary has. CJ got basically shut down, Hobbs was playing tight man on him with a double team (I think) for most of the night.

Why the breakdown on intermediate and inside routes? I don't know, but I'm sure BB will be working on it from now through the playoffs.

Yea, he's got some things to work on and hopefully he'll improve in these areas. From what I understand he's only given up 1 receiving TD so far this season, so he's done some things well in coverage. He also had one nive play coming up to effect the run.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing