PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Rotoworld MocK: OL, DE for the Pats in Round 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Then it is settled, Don Corleogne will keep the peace in the east...

I mean

A. Smith
Carimi
trade away!
Watkins (dallas #2 for mankins and meriweather)
Ballard

I know what he was at for the combine and his pro-day. I also know that he put on weight before he reported to the Texans. And I also know that Maneri was 290 when he was claimed by the Pats. He and his agent made a big deal about having put the weight on.

I wasn't disputing you, merely conveying where I'd gotten my info from.

Number of tackles, by itself, is not a gauge of anything. In fact, it's a very over-blown stat since it's been proven that there there are more recorded tackles than there are defensive plays. Anywhere from 50 to 100% more.

Sanders isn't my binky. What he is is someone that you hate and have been proven wrong about by numerous people. Myself included. And you'll not find a single place where I have even remotely compared Sanders to Ronnie Lott.

The reality is that McGowan wasn't that good, especially in pass coverage and it's why he ended up riding the bench at the end of last year. And he wasn't missed this year.

Agree with this 100%. I really don't know why seemingly so many folks claim that McGowan was "great" in coverage.

What? You don't want to trade 2 Pro-Bowlers for a 2nd round pick?

It makes loads of sense to trade a Pro Bowl guard and a borderline Pro Bowl safety to draft another guard.

It makes loads of sense to trade a Pro Bowl guard and a borderline Pro Bowl safety to draft another guard.

Based on what I've read from the majority of posters on Cowboys fan boards, distrust of BB runs so deep that the majority of them would just KNOW there has to be a trick in there somewhere and would vote against it.

Yeah, cause it's an even up trade, you don't have to pay mankins any more than a drafted guard, right? Duh. More like trade him even up for a guard and 8M in cash per year.

Yeah, cause it's an even up trade, you don't have to pay mankins any more than a drafted guard, right? Duh. More like trade him even up for a guard and 8M in cash per year.

So you're advocating trading an elite talent and an above-average talent for an unknown. Because that's what a draft pick represents. If Watkins busts, that goes down as highway robbery by the Cowboys; hell, it probably is anyway even if Watkins turns out to be a good player. Because the odds are he'll never be as good as Mankins.

I'm sorry, but the only person who "proved" anything about James Sanders was Sanders himself. He had the best year of his career this year. And that's great. I think those who bashed him should admit it. That said, he's still the #3 safety on this team - which is a perfect role for him.

Cousin, I will admit Sanders had his best year and applaud that effort but fact:
1-He is still a major extended liability in the pass game (see Cotchery playoff)

2-He has the worst skill set of any Pats DB

3-For a #3 Safety he is making $3m and that is way too much and would not be surprised if he is the Safety who is peddled, although I am in agreement that Merriweather will ask for the moon in 2012 (as a Pro Bowler?!?)and the BM value is at peak now. But......Merriweather is at $600,000 in 2011 and Sanders $3m. I am of the school that even for one year, it could be Chung and Merriweather.

4-Sanders still takes crappy angles

5-He still misses tackles

6-It is hard to praise any of the Pats DBs when they were so bad in pass defense in 2010. Our corners played better than expected but our Safeties were a major issue. Anyone who disagrees with that are not realistic or a complete homer.

7-We all agree we saw some progress from Chung and a future. We still need another reliable Safety with ball skills, playmaking ability and intelligence. Sanders and Merriweather have one or two of each perhaps individually but not all elements, and they are not the answer.

8-You tell me if Sanders, and I will admit he made plays in 2010, but if you look at the Teams weak pass defense, is Sanders worth a $3m as a #3 defensive back?....Nyet! The stats about the DBs don't lie. We were 30th in passing yards Cousin!

9-Upgrade in FA or the Draft. I am also of the school that the compelling possibility of a Champ Bailey as FS and Chung as SS and that would be outstanding. Bailey can surely cover and make plays over Merriweather and Sanders and he has the length over the shorter Sanders and much faster and speed is certainly not Sanders strong point.

We can get a few good years out of Bailey and he wants to play Safety. An even older Darren Sharper made e big playmaking difference for the Saints in their SB year. Do you think Cotchery is open by fifteen yards in front of Champ Bailey in that playoff game?

If you were an opposing coach and O coordinator and you wanted to make some serious positive yards, where would you attack? Right down the medium middle of the field against the Pats defense back four. Correct me if I am wrong.

In the last two years, Bailey has had 28 passes defended and 119 tackles. Can we get another two or three years? He seems to think at Safety he can still play at a high level. The neat thing is he can still swing over to CB if we go dime. He appears to be the ultimate professional. Can Sanders play CB?

I do not think Bailey will cost us that much more than the $3m we are paying Sanders this time. You pick!

DW Toys

Last edited:
We can get a few good years out of Bailey and he wants to play Safety. An even older Darren Sharper made e big playmaking difference for the Saints in their SB year. Do you think Cotchery is open by fifteen yards in front of Champ Bailey in that playoff game?

If you were an opposing coach and O coordinator and you wanted to make some serious positive yards, where would you attack? Right down the medium middle of the field against the Pats defense back four. Correct me if I am wrong.

In the last two years, Bailey has had 28 passes defended and 119 tackles. Can we get another two or three years? He seems to think at Safety he can still play at a high level. The neat thing is he can still swing over to CB if we go dime. He appears to be the ultimate professional. Can Sanders play CB?

I do not think Bailey will cost us that much more than the $3m we are paying Sanders this time. You pick!

DW Toys

Uncle, Champ Bailey is going to cost a hell of a lot more than $3 mil.

A light at the end of the Champ Bailey contract tunnel? - BroncoTalk

Fox and Elway have been tap-dancing around Champ. A lot hinges on the collective bargaining agreement. But I have it on good authority that Champ, who wants to come back, will be signed to a four-year deal, think $42 million, or will be designated franchise player for next season.

So you're advocating trading an elite talent and an above-average talent for an unknown. Because that's what a draft pick represents. If Watkins busts, that goes down as highway robbery by the Cowboys; hell, it probably is anyway even if Watkins turns out to be a good player. Because the odds are he'll never be as good as Mankins.

Well I threw Merriweather in there cavalierly, but Mankins, even if he is a great talent, is a great talent at 8M per year. You don't get him for less. If he plays this year at 10M or whatever, he's gone next year for a 3rd round supplemental. So you advocate getting rid of an elite talent for a 3rd round supplemental? How much value is created by paying an elite guard (except in the SB) at an elite level of pay? Not that much.

Merriweather is in his last year and probably won't be resigned, which is why I threw him in there.

Last edited:
ding, ding ding!

We have an early entry in the "worst analysis of the year" contest!

I do not think Bailey will cost us that much more than the $3m.

DW Toys

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back