PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Rotoworld MocK: OL, DE for the Pats in Round 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd be very happy with those two.

After that, grab Danny Watkins, Brooks Reed, a better nickel CB and another RB and I'm good to go.

If Mallett does indeed fall out of the 1st round (as his prediction) the Pats will get a great deal for that 33rd pick.

Sherrod is my favorite OT in the draft, but I wouldn't want an OT at 17. Now if we went Aldon Smith to go along with Heyward ... that would be a thing of beauty ...

Sherrod is my favorite OT in the draft, but I wouldn't want an OT at 17. Now if we went Aldon Smith to go along with Heyward ... that would be a thing of beauty ...

If Smith actually fell to #17, I certainly wouldn't object. Not sure how far UP I'd trade to get him though.

If Mallett does indeed fall out of the 1st round (as his prediction) the Pats will get a great deal for that 33rd pick.

Seriously, the rest of the league must have groaned when they saw that the Pats were guaranteed the #33 pick. :D

I think Evan Silva is just a tad too giddy over Heyward. He thinks Heyward would be the best DE on the Patriots roster from day one.

Heyward is being massively overrated.

Heyward is being massively overrated.

I've seen Heyward compared to Tyson Jackson on more than 1 occasion. Jackson was clearly a reach in the top 5. But I'm guessing Heyward goes in the 1st round.

On a separate note, whoever is doing this mock is obviously making the assumption that the Pats are going to sign Woodley and let go of Light/Mankins.

Heyward has been remarkably inconsistent as a senior. I'd be much happier with Jordan, Clayborn or Watt.

Heyward has been remarkably inconsistent as a senior. I'd be much happier with Jordan, Clayborn or Watt.

I'm just happy as can be we have the 17th pick. There has got to be 20 players I like to improve this team there. Jordan being my favorite as well:)

If we don't re-sign Light, I'm fine with an OT and a DE, although at this point I think that I would choose Jordan and Carimi.

Does anyone in his right mind want to invest a Round 1 pick, at 18 or 28 or even 33 in a DE who just six weeks ago had Tommy John surgery?

No matter how good the players prior performance -- post-surgery the player is a "show-me story". Perhaps a third round flier, if that. I would take him off my board for the first two days.

I'm not a big fan of Sherrod for the Pats. I know he has he athletic ability, but I'm not sure he has the killer instinct a Pats OL needs to have.

Heyward could work, but is a bit undersized. BB would have to really believe in his ability to contribute to this team.

I'm not a big fan of Sherrod for the Pats. I know he has he athletic ability, but I'm not sure he has the killer instinct a Pats OL needs to have.

Heyward could work, but is a bit undersized. BB would have to really believe in his ability to contribute to this team.

Heyward is 6'5"+ (I've seen him listed at 6'6") and 288 (I've seen him listed at 290). I've seen much shorter guys who are not much heavier being flogged as "THE answer" for the Pats at DE.

Heyward is a little undersized horizontally, but that's the kind of thing that can be fixed. Not like somebody like Adrian Clayborn, who doesn't really have the frame to add enough weight to play OLB.

Heyward regularly disappeared in games this past season. A lot of people like to cite his dominant performance at the bowl game as to why he'd be a good fit. Well, if he's that good, where was he the rest of the season?

Heyward is a little undersized horizontally, but that's the kind of thing that can be fixed. Not like somebody like Adrian Clayborn, who doesn't really have the frame to add enough weight to play OLB.

Is this is a typo? I'm sure you meant DE. Because he is listed at 286. If anything he would have to shed weight to play OLB.

So if he was 290 is that enough weight to play DE? I'm thinking he will weigh in lighter in the 280 range because I do not think he is 286. You think his frame can't put on 10 pounds?

I would not be suprised if certain players are gone if he is a Patriot come draft day. I have a few players I like better, but not many.

Last edited:
Oops, yep! DE, not OLB.

Ideal weight is over 300, but players who lack length like him usually need extra bulk to hold up. A perfect example is Ron Brace, who is 6-3, but 330 pounds, and GWarren, who is a shade under 6-4, but also 330. For Heyward, who is right around 6-6, anything over 300 or so should be plenty, given the extra length.

I can't believe the Raiders went 8-8... C'mon SD, DEN, KC...

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes