PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Roster With Three Cuts To Make

Status
Not open for further replies.
1) My list for today is O'Callaghan, Connolly and Crable (cut or IR).

2) My alternative is to cut Slater and keep Crable.

3) As of now, I really don't want to cut Lenon or Alexander.

4) Edelman is another option for the IR.

5) Ohrnberger is another option for the IR.

6) I expect more than three of these to be cut to accomodate additions from other teams. Specifically, I expect a veteran upgrade at center/guard.

I don't see how anyone could keep Crable over Slater. Slater contributes on every ST play - that's about 20 per game. Crable will just be taking up a roster spot.

Something tells me Hoyer makes the cut. He appears to have a future in the league and the Pats can't take the chance of letting a young QB leave.

I think the Pats traded Hochstein because they felt very comfortable with their depth at G/C. So picking up a vet makes no sense.

ILB is really the big question. Lennon was on my cut list until Bruschi retired. Although he hasn't looked good, he has to be better than Alexander as a LB. If Lennon makes the team, presumably he can handle Alexander's ST duties, as I saw him playing ST this past week. So I think only one of those guys makes the team. It's certainly not out of the question that Lennon is gone and another LB is added.

So off your original list, I would cut Connoly, Crable and Alexander. However, I'm not convinced that your list is in fact the "final 56".

This is my roster before the last three cuts. Done this way, I think almost everyone has their 53 included. In the end, I think there is little disagreement on this list of 56 potential roster players.

Obviously, a player or two could be put on the IR. Also, Belichick could sign players from other teams. But it seems that this where we are now. And finally, Belichick could surprise us and keep Ciurciu or Ninkovich or Jones or Ventrone. My 60 best would include those four.

Offense: 27
QB (3): Brady, Walter, Hoyer
RB (5): Maroney, F Taylor, Morris, Faulk, Green-Ellis
WR (6): Moss, Welker, Galloway, Lewis, Aiken, Edelman
TE (3): Baker, Thomas, Watson
OT (4): Light, Kaczur, Vollmer, O'Callaghan
G/C (6): Mankins, Koppen, Neal, Wendell, Ohrnberger, Connolly

Defense: 26
DL (7): Seymour, Wilfork, Warren, Green, Wright, Brace, Pryor
DE/OLB (6): Thomas, Burgess, Woods, TBC, Alexander, Crable
ILB (3): Mayo, Guyton, Lenon
CB (5): Bodden, Springs, Butler, Wilhite, Wheatley
S (5): Meriweather, Sanders, Chung, McGowan, Slater

Special Teams: (3) - Gostkowski, Hanson, Ingram

This one is easy for me in 5 moves

1. Hoyer to the PS - too obvious
2. BJGE to waivers - a nice luxury...we can't afford
3. Wendell to waivers or PS - Too light in the pants (BTW- Can OCallahan play G?)
4. Slater to waivers - Can't return KO's - no O or D position
5. Add Ninkovich - DE, OLB, STs cover guy, and back up snapper

For the BJGE lovers, 2 points. The sad fact remains that 5 RBs is just NOT necessary if the other 4 are healthy...and they are. The second fact is that IF injuries occur during the season, BJGE can be recalled, or if he's gone to another team, there will be a half dozen guys JUST AS GOOD we can pick up.

BJGE is a very capable stong running back with a bright future. Doubt he gets cut.

We should trade watson and maroney for someone or picks. Both are in the last year of contracts, unlikely to return, someone will over pay them. We migght as well cash in now. Both are oft-injured.

Maroney is signed through next season.

Slater is a better ST player than Ninkovich and both are equally adapt (or rather not adapt) at their respective positions. So these 2 moves don't make sense to me.

Actually, I wouldn't be surprised if you're 0 for 5 with these predictions. Amazing how we can all be watching the same games and seeing things so differently.

1. Hoyer to the PS - too obvious
2. BJGE to waivers - a nice luxury...we can't afford
3. Wendell to waivers or PS - Too light in the pants (BTW- Can OCallahan play G?)

For the BJGE lovers, 2 points. The sad fact remains that 5 RBs is just NOT necessary if the other 4 are healthy...and they are. The second fact is that IF injuries occur during the season, BJGE can be recalled, or if he's gone to another team, there will be a half dozen guys JUST AS GOOD we can pick up.

1. Yes,
2. No, keep him. Cut Morris. Too bad they signed Taylor.
3. Yes,
4. Definitely, ST guys are a dime a dozen
5. Maybe.

Also cut O'Callaghan...too concussed.

1. Yes,
3. Yes,
5. Maybe.

Why is it too bad that they signed Taylor?

You want to keep a JAG RB over a proven RB like Morris? Why?

I think BB will cut down to 52.

Slater is a better ST player than Ninkovich and both are equally adapt (or rather not adapt) at their respective positions. So these 2 moves don't make sense to me.

Actually Ninkovich played pretty well last game and saw significant action. OTOH, Slater has been tried at WR and S and can't do either. He got little time at S in preseason games. A more important indicator is, he saw very little time in practice as well. Yes he looks like a nice coverage guy on KOs, but that not enough of a skill to keep a roster spot, when you can't be trusted to catch punts, or can only run 15 yds in a straight line on KOs

1. Yes,
3. Yes,
5. Maybe.

IIRC, Taylor has PS eligibility. I think he was brought in as a potential PS guy, and they wanted to see first hand what he has.

ST guys are a dime a dozen

Belichick clearly doesn't think so. It's one thing to miss a prediction, but this is just flat-out wrong. Games average over 20 ST plays per game, not counting field goals. Slater is out there for all of them, playing a key role on each. No one person will be able to replace him. Full-service ST guys are an integral part of any successful roster.

Who is the backup LS to Ingram? I think Ninkovich long snaps so might have a chance to stick if no one else on the expected 53 roster does.

I think McGowan is cut. Springs can play backup FS if need be.

I would use McGowan's spot on an ILB. Not comfortable with just Mayo, Guyton and Lenon. Maybe a late cut veteran.

He'd never make it past Kansas City.

The Crab would have to run over BB's dog to get cut cause he'll cost over a megabuck in cap hit to cut. IR is far more likely than cut.

The Crab would have to run over BB's dog to get cut cause he'll cost over a megabuck in cap hit to cut. IR is far more likely than cut.

Only about $450K (i.e., a bit more than O'Connell).

Actually Ninkovich played pretty well last game and saw significant action. OTOH, Slater has been tried at WR and S and can't do either. He got little time at S in preseason games. A more important indicator is, he saw very little time in practice as well. Yes he looks like a nice coverage guy on KOs, but that not enough of a skill to keep a roster spot, when you can't be trusted to catch punts, or can only run 15 yds in a straight line on KOs

As I've said before, Week 1 of last year, BB had SEVEN players who ONLY played STs on the 45-man roster: Gostkowski/Hanson/Paxton + Ventrone, Izzo, Slater, and Washington.

Cut Slater 'the mental mistake-maker' and keep RAY VENTRONE...we need scrappers that play hard with heart & head(!) in the game. Simply cannot afford 15yd special teams penalties and botched returns in the reg season...

Cut Slater 'the mental mistake-maker' and keep RAY VENTRONE...we need scrappers that play hard with heart & head(!) in the game. Simply cannot afford 15yd special teams penalties and botched returns in the reg season...

I don't think it will happen, but this at least makes sense. Ventrone can probably fill most of Slater's duties adequately, except return man. Belichick needs to decide whether Slater is ready to settle into his role and stop trying too hard.

I agree with Reiss's 3rd version of the projected roster. It seems to make a lot of sense.

I think McGowan is cut.

I would use McGowan's spot on an ILB.

What?

McGowan is a proven vet, IMO, and has done quite well so far from what I've seen. The guy can tackle pretty well, and has ST value.

Not to mention there isn't too much depth at all behind starters Sanders and Meriweather. I realize Chung is our big hope etc, and I expect to see him possibly in big nickel situations + more time throughout the year like most rookies. I am not 100 percent convinced that he would be thrown in right off the bat if one of either Sanders or Meriweather went down, especially if it happened in the first 1/4 or so of the season. As the season went on etc, then I'd imagine he would be put in that situation. Of course the kid has talent, but there's an obvious learning curve, and he is kinda raw in what we've seen so far.

But for now, I think you are quite possibly undervaluing McGowan a lot, and I think he stays hands down. Of course, there's always the fact that I could be overvaluing him too--in which case he still falls in the middle, but I think he's at worst the 2nd one in case of injury right now.

BJGE is a very capable stong running back with a bright future. Doubt he gets cut.

We should trade watson and maroney for someone or picks. Both are in the last year of contracts, unlikely to return, someone will over pay them. We migght as well cash in now. Both are oft-injured.

Maroney is starting to look like a third down back. Same route that Faulk went. I think we keep him - in space - he's elite .............. not Uranus though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes