PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Roster spot question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Triumph

Hall of Fame Poster
Reaction score
I dont think it will ever come to this. Say Branch holds out and refuses to put on the uni. He can return @ game #10 and get credit for this season, but wouldnt the Pats put him on a "List" - cannot think of its name? Terry Glenn was on it when he wouldnt act right in 2001.

Basically, can NE hinder Branchs move to FA?

I think there's a "Suspended - Did Not Report" list but I don't know all the ins and outs. You're right, though, it won't come to that. Even if he leaves as a UFA in February it's in everyone's interest for him to play this year.

My "guess" is that they continue to try to hammer things. If impasse is hit, Deion will return with a slight bump and a deal to not be franchised next year.

Also, no need to worry about timing between Brady & Deion as I am sure they have been working out heavily, together, on their own time.

Last edited:
fgssand said:
My "guess" is that they continue to try to hammer things. If impasse is hit, Deion will return with a slight bump and a deal to not be franchised next year..
I would think that Deion would love to be franchised. His one year earnings would be huge (average of top five receives) and he'd still be a FA the next year.

http://www.nfl.com/freeagency/qa

Q -- What constitutes an "accrued season?"

A -- Six or more regular-season games on a club's active/inactive, reserved-injured or "physically unable to perform" lists.

Deion can hold out for up to 10 regular season games without losing an accrued season.

BelichickFan said:
I think there's a "Suspended - Did Not Report" list but I don't know all the ins and outs. You're right, though, it won't come to that. Even if he leaves as a UFA in February it's in everyone's interest for him to play this year.

BelichickFan is correct.

spacecrime said:
I would think that Deion would love to be franchised. His one year earnings would be huge (average of top five receives) and he'd still be a FA the next year.

Nope - long term deal with signing bonus beats a one year deal anyday.
Short of a deal this summer, that is what Deion would agree to in order to come in on time.

Last edited:
SO if DB is on a Did Not Report list...and all of a sudden shows up for Game 10...is there any other option for the team??? Just curious...and hope all can be hammered out way before this...Way before it!!

You can show up for game 10 but there is no law that says they have to play you. Belichick won't start guys who don't practice. And Deion is not perceived as the all pro talent a Seymour is - some guys can holdout or miss a season and the high rollers will still line up for a shot at signing them. Deion is simply not in that league. He needs his best season of his career this year in case he is a FA.

And I don't believe they can reel him in ala Seymour because there is nothing left to give him an advance on. Seymour got money from the 6th year of his deal in the 5th year (an advance so to speak) because everybody knew he was never going to see year 6 here. He was either going to be re-signed or dealt as a holdout in 2006.

And if they altered Deion's contract now would it preclude them from revisiting it for 12 months - not sure how that would work with a guy who will be a UFA in 8 months. Maybe Adam or Miguel knows.

Pats726 said:
SO if DB is on a Did Not Report list...and all of a sudden shows up for Game 10...is there any other option for the team???

Thats what I'm wondering.

If he shows up by game 10, I'd imagine it would take at least another 2 weeks before he could make a significant impact on the field. Typically, players who miss training camp arent up to speed psychically or mentally. So he gets full credit for 4 games or 25% of the season??

Granted he doesnt get paid for games missed and is likely fined, but it seems unfair to the team when they still have a valid contract. Deon is very good WR, but the Pats had huge part in his development.

Triumph said:
Thats what I'm wondering.

If he shows up by game 10, I'd imagine it would take at least another 2 weeks before he could make a significant impact on the field. Typically, players who miss training camp arent up to speed psychically or mentally. So he gets full credit for 4 games or 25% of the season??

Granted he doesnt get paid for games missed and is likely fined, but it seems unfair to the team when they still have a valid contract. Deon is very good WR, but the Pats had huge part in his development.
Just wonder what option there is...another list..suspended??? OR?? I agree a player sits out and...at that point might get 6 inactives..so?? But I hope it doesn't even begin to come to that...THAT would NOT be good!!

Pats726 said:
Just wonder what option there is...another list..suspended??? OR?? I agree a player sits out and...at that point might get 6 inactives..so?? But I hope it doesn't even begin to come to that...THAT would NOT be good!!

If Deion goes that route, he'll lose money (he'll make much less than $1.1mil he's slated to earn in 2006), and his regular season stats will take a hit, which will hurt him in the '07 FA market. Moreover, he'll exhaust his goodwill with the fans (myself included).

These are the 10 games Branch will potentially miss...

2006 Schedule
Date Opponent Time/Result
Sep 10 Buffalo 1:00pm
Sep 17 @N.Y. Jets 4:15pm
Sep 24 Denver 8:15pm
Oct 1 @Cincinnati 4:15pm
Oct 8 Miami 1:00pm
Week 6 BYE
Oct 22 @Buffalo 1:00pm
Oct 30 @Minnesota 8:30pm
Nov 5 Indianapolis 8:15pm
Nov 12 N.Y. Jets 1:00pm
Nov 19 @Green Bay

If Branch honors his contract and gets hurt, I'm certain the Pats won't discard him like an old shoe. However, if he sits out the 10 games and gets hurt late in the season, the team might not be so merciful.

JMHO

Last edited:
What other options does the team have??

Way way down the line..but the team has NO other options??? I agree..if it comes to that..a 1% chance...if even that..the team loses..Branch loses and????? well not a great idea....Just wondering THAT is all..I say it's all done sooner than later...

fgssand said:
Nope - long term deal with signing bonus beats a one year deal anyday.
???? Depends on the offer and the franchise amount. And it depends if the guy being franchised isn't worht anywhere near the franchise amount. Chad Johnson, randy Moss, etc would be hurt by franchising. Most NFL WRs (all but less than about 10) would get a windfall.

Let's say Deieon gets a five year deal averaging 5 mil a year starting in 2007.

Now lets say Deion gets franchised in 2007 for about $9 mil and then gets the 5 mil a year contract starting in 2008.

Deion would get about 8 million for a year if franchised.

spacecrime said:
???? Depends on the offer and the franchise amount. And it depends if the guy being franchised isn't worht anywhere near the franchise amount. Chad Johnson, randy Moss, etc would be hurt by franchising. Most NFL WRs (all but less than about 10) would get a windfall.

Let's say Deieon gets a five year deal averaging 5 mil a year starting in 2007.

Now lets say Deion gets franchised in 2007 for about $9 mil and then gets the 5 mil a year contract starting in 2008.

Deion would get about 8 million for a year if franchised.

I agree with what you are writing as for potential for one franchise year being able to be good for the player. Just keep in mind that my so called "guess" as to Deion looking to be assured he won't be franchised is very good information - along with what I said about his private workouts recently with Tom Brady.

fgssand said:
I agree with what you are writing as for potential for one franchise year being able to be good for the player. Just keep in mind that my so called "guess" as to Deion looking to be assured he won't be franchised is very good information - along with what I said about his private workouts recently with Tom Brady.
Well, keep in mind that my "guess" that Branch might rather having $34 mil over six years instead of $25 mil over 5, with over twice as much paid out in the first two years, is a rather shrewd "guess" in itself.

spacecrime said:
Well, keep in mind that my "guess" that Branch might rather having $34 mil over six years instead of $25 mil over 5, with over twice as much paid out in the first two years, is a rather shrewd "guess" in itself.

Leaving aside what I know and focusing on what you wrote - I agree with you,
IF - he can get through the next two years without getting injured which would certainly adversely effect his ability to see your 34MM.

Last edited:
fgssand said:
My "guess" is that they continue to try to hammer things. If impasse is hit, Deion will return with a slight bump and a deal to not be franchised next year.

Also, no need to worry about timing between Brady & Deion as I am sure they have been working out heavily, together, on their own time.

Had to go back and read this after you qualified your "guess" as an informed one. I don't see where the bump can come from (there is nothing left to give him unless he has another 900+ escalator in year 5 and he wants it guaranteed). With Richard they had one more season in which to get him signed or get something for him. Since they don't have that with Deion they would be foolish to agree not to franchise him. Not to play so much as to trade. I don't think at the end of the day they have to do anything to get him back in. He knows he needs this season as much if not more than they need it from him. Without a good season he gets offered a whole lot less in FA next March than he's probably already been offered here.

And considering how little free time Tommy has I hope he's not overextending himself because Deion is being selfish. Sometimes tough love works better. And if Tommy is helping Deion feel better about his holdout not costing him QB time, perhaps Tommy is inadvertently becoming something of an enabler. I know he struggles to not set himself apart from "the guys" by virtue of what he was willing to do for the team contract wise, but maybe he should rethink that and start asking some of them to step up too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes