PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Roster Moves In The Next 10 Days?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mgteich

PatsFans.com Veteran
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
We had 27 defensive players (17 front 7 and 10 db's) and 23 players on offense.

Carpenter was cut. IMHO, he had already been replaced by Tarpinian.

Williams has recently taken Dowlng's defensive roster spot.

Obviously much depends on health and whether Belichick thinks anyone out there can be of any help.

We have an open roster spot on the 53 and lots of room on the Practice Squad.

What now?
====================
SOME OPTIONS

1) add Pryor (this is a no brainer if he is healthy or will be healthy soon)

2) add Schiancoe, at least until Hernandez is healthy (Personally, I don't see this happening. Fells is signed for next year and is doing fine. The Hooman is a solid blocking TE and our fullback.)

3) add Ballard (I would think that he is destined for IR)

4) add Forsten (I would only do this if we were cutting Brace or putting him on IR)

4) add a player or two from another team, especially on a 2 or 3 contract (this is very like Belichick)
======================
I don't see much happening. However, we should make decisions about Pryor, Shiancoe, and Ballard in the next couple of weeks.
======================
Oh yeah, it is also a good time to extend players. Woodhead and Thomas comes to mind.

Last edited:
2) add Schiancoe, at least until Hernandez is healthy (Personally, I don't see this happening. Fells is signed for next year and is doing fine. The Hooman is a solid blocking TE and our fullback.)

What do you mean "you don't see this happening?"

What do think they'll do with Schiancoe then????

You're telling us that they put Schiancoe on IR exempt as their one and only player, only to bring him back in practice last week.....so that they can keep Hooman instead???

We can't play Ahern again until he's healthier. If Shiancoe buys us time there so be it. Cut M. Williams or put Ebner on IR when he tweaks something. Pryor replaces a de IMO. We're really carrying 6; Ninko, C. Jones, Cunningham, Scott, Francis and Bequette. One of them will aggravate something and get IR'd.

If Hernandez is not ready, I would carry 5 TE's. We have plenty of roster room for 24 players on offense.

What do you mean "you don't see this happening?"

What do think they'll do with Schiancoe then????

You're telling us that they put Schiancoe on IR exempt as their one and only player, only to bring him back in practice last week.....so that they can keep Hooman instead???

The return of Ventrone! Book it!

Seems like Shiancoe is far more likely to come back than Pryor right now.

If Hernandez is not ready, I would carry 5 TE's. We have plenty of roster room for 24 players on offense.

There is no need for 5 TEs. The only purpose in that would be to avoid making a decision on cutting the one (Hooman) that will be inactive if not cut.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thoughts on Carpenter's release - New England Patriots Blog - ESPN Boston

But it's important to keep in mind that once the trade deadline has passed, all players who are released are subject to waivers, vested veterans included. Prior to the deadline, players with four or more years of experience in the NFL are automatically released, which is what happened to Carpenter on Tuesday. If the team had waited to make the move until Thursday, Carpenter would have been subject to waivers and potentially claimed by another team.

Also, Pryor is entitled to three weeks of practice after activation (without taking up a roster spot) ..... not sure about IR recalls.

Of course, we don't "need" five TE's. However, we would like to have 3 blocking TE's and at at least 2 pass-receiving TE. If Schiancoe can block as well as Hooman, then he should replace him on the roster. If not Schiancoe can be a receiving TE until Hernandez is healthier.

There is no need for 5 TEs. The only purpose in that would be to avoid making a decision on cutting the one (Hooman) that will be inactive if not cut.

Last edited by a moderator:
What now?

SOME OPTIONS

1) add Pryor (this is a no brainer if he is healthy or will be healthy soon)
Has Myron Pryor seen the practice field at all this season?

Has Myron Pryor seen the practice field at all this season?

That guy must have been hurt way more than we ever knew last year, unless it's a new injury altogether this year.

BRIAN WATERS!!!!

Sadly, he will not be joining the team, but we seem to be ok. As for a real signing/promotion, we seem to have good depth everywhere except DBs and DT.

I wouldn't expect much roster movement over the next week or so outside of Shiancoe possibly being activated and maybe 1 or 2 Practice Squad call ups / additions. When we signed Williams we made an open spot on the Practice Squad, so either someone new has to fill it or someone is getting cut and returned to it.

Having a TE set of Fells, Gronkowski, Hernandez, Hoomanawanui, and Shiancoe isn't that excessive, in my opinion, as it would still only make up 24 Offensive players in total. Not to mention, Hoomanawanui has been lining up at FB a lot as of recent, and I wouldn't be too surprised to see him line up there permanently once Shiancoe comes back, if we even decide to keep Michael.

As I recall, in the past the Pats have used the bye week as an opportunity to get some players signed. Hopefully that will be the case this year, with potential FAs Vollmer, Woodhead, Edelman, and Thomas as guys I'd like to see extended.

Last edited:
I'd like to see Schiancoe and Pryor activated soon. Ballard to IR he's still young and I wouldn't mind giving him the year off like Demps.

Having a TE set of Fells, Gronkowski, Hernandez, Hoomanawanui, and Shiancoe isn't that excessive, in my opinion, as it would still only make up 24 Offensive players in total. Not to mention, Hoomanawanui has been lining up at FB a lot as of recent, and I wouldn't be too surprised to see him line up there permanently once Shiancoe comes back, if we even decide to keep Michael.

You could even look at Hernandez as a WR if you want leaving just 3 true TEs. I really liked seeing Hoomanawanui lined up at fullback against the Rams rather than an OL.

The one roster move I'd like to see the Patriots make over the bye would be to sign the best cover corner available in street free agency if none are available via trade. With Dowling out and McCourty looking good at safety, the Pats are a little short at cornerback(no pun intended). They could release Malcolm Williams and resign him to the practice squad.

Now's the time to finally pull the trigger on the Brady-for-Sanchez deal

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back