PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Roster filled

Status
Not open for further replies.

spacecrime

Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal
Reaction score
I count 88 men under contract with the Pats, with 8 being assigned to NFLE.

That fills our 80-man roster.

If we sign a Vet FA QB, someone will have to be cut. CUrrenty there are 4 QBs under contract (Brady, Cassel, Mortenson, Bramlet)

Other anomlies:
12 WRs under contract (Deion Branch, Troy Brown, Chad Jackson, Reche Caldwell, Bethel Johnson, Bam Childress, Vernel Brown, Rich Musinski, Vernel Brown, Zuriel Smith, Eric Davis, Matt Shelton)

5 NTs (Vince Wilfolk, Mike Wright, Dan Klecko, Santonio Thomas, Le Kevin Smith)

These are right as far as I know. If onyone knows someone signed that I don't have, please let me know (also who i have that shouldn,t be there)

FYI you've got vernel brown listed twice.

Do the draft choices count against the 88 man roster before they are signed?

Also, I think some of the UDFA haven't officially been offered contracts. They've only been invited to tryout at mini-camp. There are typically a few guys dumped after the two day look-see.

I know the draftees do not count..and they can have more UDFAs if the bring them in for a tryout...and I don't think any mentioned have been in that situation. I don't think it is filled...

smg93 said:
FYI you've got vernel brown listed twice.
Thanks. I thought 12 was a lot or WRs. Thank goodness there is only 11 :D

So there is room for another guy before we hit training camp.

Where do you get your numbers? I thought BB said there was room for another 15-18 players after the draft. And we've added what, 11? Also, I thought Vernell Brown is a DB.

The draft picks are working under minimum-level tenders until they are signed and do not count towards the roster.

bucky said:
Where do you get your numbers?
The 80-man roster limit and exemptions for NFLE players is in the CBA as far as I know.I have not read it, but it is common knowledge.

I got my numbers of players by adding all the players that had signed contracts, adding the rookies who had just been drafted (all of whom will have a contract or be tendered at start of training camp), and the UFDAs who had been reported to have signed contracts. That came to 88. We have 8 men in NFLE who have exemptions. That made it 80, 80 being the number of signed players teams are allowed.

Since I counted ol' Vernell twice, we only have 79.

One more empty spot Any UDFA or FA who is signed after that will bump one of the players currently with a contract off the 80-man roster. Sometimes an NFLE guy will get a double roster exemption. I don't know if any of our eight fall in that category or not.

bucky said:
I thought BB said there was room for another 15-18 players after the draft.
Maybe he did, I don't know. But we had 59 players (not counting NFLE guys) under contract BEFORE the draft. We drafted 10. By my math, that gives us 11 spots, not 15-18, after the draft. We have signed 10 UFDAs since the draft that I know of.

NE39 said:
The draft picks are working under minimum-level tenders until they are signed and do not count towards the roster.
True, but unless you think that some of these draftees will be cut before training camp, they will all count against the 80 roster. One more UFDA signing and we will have 80 men, counting the rookies. That is all that is allowed to practice.

Sometimes guys are signed to one or two day contracts for mini-camp tryouts in May, but if BB wants to keep them to practice with the team at training camp, he will have to cut one of the players currently signed to a contract.

I didn't mean to make this a long, drawn-out affair, only point out that we had our 80-man roster.

Last edited:
spacecrime said:
The 80-man roster limit and exemptions for NFLE players is in the CBA as far as I know.I have not read it, but it is common knowledge.

I got my numbers of players by adding all the players that had signed contracts, adding the rookies who had just been drafted (all of whom will have a contract or be tendered at start of training camp), and the UFDAs who had been reported to have signed contracts. That came to 88. We have 8 men in NFLE who have exemptions. That made it 80, 80 being the number of signed players teams are allowed.

Since I counted ol' Vernell twice, we only have 79.

One more empty spot Any UDFA or FA who is signed after that will bump one of the players currently with a contract off the 80-man roster. Sometimes an NFLE guy will get a double roster exemption. I don't know if any of our eight fall in that category or not.

Maybe he did, I don't know. But we had 59 players (not counting NFLE guys) under contract BEFORE the draft. We drafted 10. By my math, that gives us 11 spots, not 15-18, after the draft. We have signed 10 UFDAs since the draft that I know of.

This is what I was referring to. I haven't done the count myself because I'm too lazy and don't know where the most accurate roster would be, though my guess is that it would be on Miguel's cap page.

http://www.patriots.com/mediacenter/index.cfm?ac=audionewsdetail&pid=18937&pcid=85

Q: Are there positions where you need undrafted free agents to fill needs for training camp?

BB: Pretty much every position. We need to go to camp with more people than we have on our roster. I think there are still a lot of players out there that will be competitive in training camp situation. Some college players. Some not college players. Some pro experience or maybe a lot of pro experience. So those players will be added to fill out the 80-man roster. We're at -I don't know- we were in the low 50s and then we took 10 guys. Low to mid 60s. Roster limit is 80, not counting the Europe players. I don't know, we'll add maybe 12 or 14 players, whatever it is. That's pretty much a guy at every position, sometimes more than that.

bucky said:
This is what I was referring to. I haven't done the count myself because I'm too lazy and don't know where the most accurate roster would be, though my guess is that it would be on Miguel's cap page.
Good thinking. Miguel is the final word, roster-wise, as far as I am concerned. A quick count of his site shows 78 players on the roster, 8 of whom are NFLE guys. I do not see any UFDA guys on his roster page. That would indicate only 10, not 15-18 post-draft UFDA roster spots open.

I keep a spreadsheet of rosters, each year, with about ten worksheets, with predictions and finals as we hit early FA, mid FA, pre-draft, draft, UFDA, traininc camp, 65-man, opening day, end-of-season and a couple more milestones of interest only to myself. Having no life to speak of, I break it down by position, vet, rookie, FA, NFLE, IR, PUP, etc, and color code it (green = i think this guy is a lock, blue = surprised if don't make 53 man roster (green + blue must = 53), yellow for suprised if they do, and no color for guys I give almost no chance. Also have colors for IR, NFLE, and PUP, and I sometimes list two players as red, meaning that one of these two will make the roster, but I don't know which.

For example, I currently have my 53 man roster,but Bethel and Bam are red, meaning that I think one of those two will make the 53-man roster. I revisit often, and always if there is a trade, FA signing, injury, training camp surprise, etc., but that is how it stands today. (I have Freddie Roach as blue, meaning I will be surprised if he isn't on the opening day 53-man roster.)

I have lots more, but I sense your eyes glazing over. :)

Holy cow (I hope I don't get any religious PMs for that comment). I guess the roster is full :)

I'm sure the Pats aren't done signing vet FA yeat, so the most likely guys to go at this point would be Condo (now that we have Mills and Thomas, we don't need another LS) and Bramlet (who was probably signed just for the rookie minicamp).

bucky said:
Holy cow (I hope I don't get any religious PMs for that comment). I guess the roster is full :)

I'm sure the Pats aren't done signing vet FA yeat, so the most likely guys to go at this point would be Condo (now that we have Mills and Thomas, we don't need another LS) and Bramlet (who was probably signed just for the rookie minicamp).
I'd expect Bramlet to be around for awhile, especially since we only have 4 QBs on our roster. No point in having Brady be out there when he doesn't have to be.

nickw308810 said:
I'd expect Bramlet to be around for awhile, especially since we only have 4 QBs on our roster. No point in having Brady be out there when he doesn't have to be.
Exactly. At least through mini-camp as Bucky said. Should FLutie come back (or a different vet FA QB be signed), I'd expect Bramlet to be gone.

bucky said:
Where do you get your numbers? I thought BB said there was room for another 15-18 players after the draft. And we've added what, 11?

This was Belichick's quote, from Reiss's blog
"We were in the low 50's and then we took 10 guys. Low to mid 60's. Roster limit is 80, not counting the Europe players. I don't know, we'll add maybe 12 or 14 players, whatever it is."

So he is counting the draft picks in the roster limit of 80. He said there might be some FA's included in the 12-14 additional players. I doubt try-outs are listed on the Roster as that would be confusing for the NFL and other clubs.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back