PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Roster Decisions Before September 5th

Status
Not open for further replies.
Adam_Schefter

Denver and New England at it again. This time the Broncos acquire offensive tackle Russ Hochstein from the Patriots for late-round 2010 pick

According to 98.5 The Sports Hub, Russ Hochstein has been traded to the Broncos

Adam_Schefter

Denver and New England at it again. This time the Broncos acquire offensive tackle Russ Hochstein from the Patriots for late-round 2010 pick

I thought Hochstein would end up in Kansas City. Interesting.......

First Le Kevin Smith, now Hochstein; so much for the concept of the roster being already set and all but a couple of players being "locks" to make the team.

Believe as you will. Most here had Smith off the team in favor of Pryor after the first preseason game was a halftime.

We have all acknowledged that our rosters are with the players we have. We all acknowledged the obvious fact that Belichick would continue to make trade to help our team as well as KC and Denver.

First Le Kevin Smith, now Hochstein; so much for the concept of the roster being already set and all but a couple of players being "locks" to make the team.

Last edited:
I just have to say it. You guys who are speculating that we will keep 5 RBs are out of your mind, especially if we go with 3 QBs, and 4 TEs (both of which I wouldn't do either).

Just ask yourself this one simple question. What was the problem areas of this football team? The answer will NEVER be the offense. In fact I think this MIGHT be the ONLY question that would get universal consensus on this board. Yet people keep on insisting that we add players to an already stacked offense in what amounts to offensive OVERKILL.

We are a passing team, Why then carry an EXTRA RB. Just because BJGE has proven he is a legit NFL RB, doesn't necessarily mean it has to be on THIS team. Just no room. His only chance to make this roster is if Morris goes to the IR.

I also think a 9th OLman is infinitely more important than a 4th TE. Nice to have 4 good TEs, and Dyvrss hasn't done anything to hate either. But again its a LUXURY! This is a team who had problems on Defense and STs. This is where the extra roster spots need to go.

We need a 4th ILB MORE than a 3rd QB, especially if Hoyer makes it to the PS, which is a 99% surefire reality. This 4th ILB would be a key STer as well as depth in a position where injury is a much bigger factor than back up QB.

I am REALLY hopping BB gives these three roster spots to the areas of the team (defense, and STs) that were our weakest. The reality is that at best I can hope for is 2.

Last edited:
Numerous words sprinkled with punctuation.

I think BJGE represents really REALLY good insurance at RB. I would go 2 QB's (Hoyer to PS, Walter to Pager Duty), and 3 TE's. That leaves room for an extra RB and an extra Lineman.

I don't think it would be heartbreaking this year to see LawFirm hit a new team and do well. But it would hurt by next year if we couldn't replace him.
I'm worried about Morris' durability, and everyone loves the other three so much, I'd vote to keep 5.

other than injury concerns is there any valid reason why you wouldn't want him back? he is nasty especially at pulling and geting up field in th screen game.

Neal is thoroughly underated. I think he is the BEST pulling Guard in football. I expect that the Pats will resign him next offseason since he doesn't have a lot of negotiating strength, due to the combination of age, 33, and injury history. :)

I also think a 9th OLman is infinitely more important than a 4th TE. Nice to have 4 good TEs, and Dyvrss hasn't done anything to hate either. But again its a LUXURY! This is a team who had problems on Defense and STs. This is where the extra roster spots need to go.

We need a 4th ILB MORE than a 3rd QB, especially if Hoyer makes it to the PS, which is a 99% surefire reality. This 4th ILB would be a key STer as well as depth in a position where injury is a much bigger factor than back up QB.

I am REALLY hopping BB gives these three roster spots to the areas of the team (defense, and STs) that were our weakest. The reality is that at best I can hope for is 2.
I agree that the last roster spots go to players for their play on special teams, regardless of the position they play. For example, look back to Larry Izzo or Kelly Washington. Technically the roster had one more linebacker and one more receiver, but their making the team had nothing to do with their 'official' position. Those rosters would not have changed at all if, for example, Izzo was a safety and Washington a running back.

I do like the idea of a ninth offensive lineman too. While I don't have any statistics to back me up, it seems like you see guys from the OL limping off the field more than any other position over the course of a game and season. A little extra depth there is almost a necessity, not a luxury.

Part of the reason I thought the team might go with four tight ends was due to special teams play. I seem to recall reading somewhere that with the new rules (no wedge) on returns that teams might replace some linemen with tight ends on special teams.

Walter is not going to pager duty. He would likely be one of the best #3 QB's in the league for someone else if we choose to cut him.

I think BJGE represents really REALLY good insurance at RB. I would go 2 QB's (Hoyer to PS, Walter to Pager Duty), and 3 TE's. That leaves room for an extra RB and an extra Lineman.

I don't think it would be heartbreaking this year to see LawFirm hit a new team and do well. But it would hurt by next year if we couldn't replace him.
I'm worried about Morris' durability, and everyone loves the other three so much, I'd vote to keep 5.

Neal is thoroughly underated. I think he is the BEST pulling Guard in football. I expect that the Pats will resign him next offseason since he doesn't have a lot of negotiating strength, due to the combination of age, 33, and injury history. :)

I agree. I think that he will be extended shortly.

Walter is not going to pager duty. He would likely be one of the best #3 QB's in the league for someone else if we choose to cut him.

Please MG, he's going to get a call BEFORE Griese. When teams are looking for #3 QBs they'd rather go with young kids who have spent the off season IN THEIR systems. Not for an unproductive guy who has been released twice in the last 2 months. He'll be there for the shadow roster. I'd bet on it. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back