PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Ross Tucker: Why Manning is a better NFL quarterback than Montana, Brady

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Ross Tucker:Why Manning is a better NFL quarterback than Montana, Brady

i love ross tucker, and i dont even mind saying hes better than brady BUT to say hes better than Montana is ridiculous

i love ross tucker, and i dont even mind saying hes better than brady BUT to say hes better than Montana is ridiculous

montana himself said on Mike & Mike that it's too difficult to compare quarterbacks over eras. He said receivers today have a much easier time getting open with the rules and all.

Its just funny to me that Brady winning 3 SBs is totally dismissed in the article because Bill Belichick was there.
Is Bill Belichick the only HC that ever contributed to his team winning a SB?

Yup ... gotta think this is huge motivation for Drew Brees.

I hope so. Brees had good #'s but really wasn't himself in the NFCC IMO. Especially in the 4th quarter/OT. He's going to have to be better against the Colts

montana himself said on Mike & Mike that it's too difficult to compare quarterbacks over eras. He said receivers today have a much easier time getting open with the rules and all.

Can you imagine the numbers that Montana/Rice and Marino would be putting up with today's rules? Hell, Marino still holds the single season yard record with the DBs allowing to touch WRs and lineman actually hitting the QB.

Its just funny to me that Brady winning 3 SBs is totally dismissed in the article because Bill Belichick was there.
Is Bill Belichick the only HC that ever contributed to his team winning a SB?

I guess it means that Tucker thinks Dungy is a crappy coach?

And yes, if Marino was in his prime today, I think he would be going down as the greatest QB of all time.

Last edited:

And yes, if Marino was in his prime today, I think he would be going down as the greatest QB of all time.

I bet you if Marino had at least 1 ring, he be in top 5 (10,whatever) discussion. That is why rings matter more than stats.

He'd probably have a 70 TD season.

I bet you if Marino had at least 1 ring, he be in top 5 (10,whatever) discussion. That is why rings matter more than stats.

While I agree that rings do matter, you also have to look at each QB's impact to their respective teams.

Brad Johnson won a SB with the Bucs, but has he been a better QB than McNabb this past decade?

About Tucker's article, I understand his argument, but I don't agree with it.

Manning still has work to do if he were to surpass Montana as GOAT. If you were to put Montana in this era with today's WRs and rules, I think he could win more than 4 SBs.

While I agree that rings do matter, you also have to look at each QB's impact to their respective teams.

Brad Johnson won a SB with the Bucs, but has he been a better QB than McNabb this past decade?

About Tucker's article, I understand his argument, but I don't agree with it.

Manning still has work to do if he were to surpass Montana as GOAT. If you were to put Montana in this era with today's WRs and rules, I think he could win more than 4 SBs.

I agree about Johnson, and also Dilfer is an average QB. Those teams were led by defenses. And they basically had 1 good year, maybe?

But look at Elway and how his status went up soon after he won the SB. If Manning didn't win one a couple years ago, he would be in the pack with a Marino or a Moon, and not in the GOAT discussion.

Feel worse for Marino as the NFL evolves into arena ball.

But I do think there is little doubt that Manning would have another ring or 2 if Belichek had been coaching him, with those defenses that the Pats had earlier in the decade.

The whole "Manning would have more rings if he had Bradys defenses" arguement is one of the worst that one can make when comparing the two. Why? Prior to this season, Manning has entered the playoffs with a defense that ranked 7th or higher in the NFL for a particular season, including a 1st and 2nd overall. In those 4 playoff runs the Colts have not won a single game. They are 0-4. Manning combined rating for those 4 games is around 82, cant remember the exact number. His TD:Int ratio is 5:4 and the Colts averaged under 15 ppg in those games. Having a great defense did not make a difference for the Colts then. The arguement is pointless and has no validity.

But where would Brady be if the Pats had used first rounders on offensive skill positions in the draft every year? Wayne, Harrison, Clark, Addai, Gonzalez, Brown. The Pats have never used a 1st on a wideout in Brady's time as a Patriot.

well I think you can assume he would have better stats then Manning. Look at Bradys stats the two season he had weapons comparable to Mannings. I mean, the average stats and efficiency stats are close already, and thats with Brady on having two season with the talent Manning has had for his entire career and not playing in a dome.

People dont take into consideration that Brady had a really good defense to back him up most of his career, especially when it came to the Super Bowls that you won.

The fact that Peyton had to make up the mistakes the defense made most of his career (not the past years) and the fact that he does all the playcalling and pretty much owns the whole team gives him the edge.

The fact is that both quarterbacks are going to the hall of fame. Brady and Manning are both really great quarterbacks.

People dont take into consideration that Brady had a really good defense to back him up most of his career, especially when it came to the Super Bowls that you won.

The fact that Peyton had to make up the mistakes the defense made most of his career (not the past years) and the fact that he does all the playcalling and pretty much owns the whole team gives him the edge.

The fact is that both quarterbacks are going to the hall of fame. Brady and Manning are both really great quarterbacks.

The fact is, you dont really read all the facts and you dont really know anything about anything.

to make a slight variation to a famous Manning quote, Im trying to be a good poster here, but did you read any of the posts in this thread? The Pats may have zero or 1 Superbowls if Brady did not bail out the mistakes of the defense. Plus he could have 4 SBs and a perfect season if it was not for the defense. The Pats defense have given up 4 4th qtr leads in SB games.

and what the heck does "owning" the team mean? Did he buy the Colts or something?

to make a slight variation to a famous Manning quote, Im trying to be a good poster here, but did you read any of the posts in this thread? The Pats may have zero or 1 Superbowls if Brady did not bail out the mistakes of the defense. Plus he could have 4 SBs and a perfect season if it was not for the defense. The Pats defense have given up 4 4th qtr leads in SB games.

and what the heck does "owning" the team mean? Did he buy the Colts or something?

Can an owner play for a team? Like say I win the lotto, and buy the bills for like 5 million dollars when the city can no longer support them..can I play any postion I want?

All of these articles are amazing

They all hinge on the concept that Manning gets his second ring Sunday. I don't mind people saying he's the best of all time, knock yourself out. It's just going to be funny to see everyone back pedal on the subject if the Colts don't win

what a wise man you are

what say the mediots now

what a wise man you are

what say the mediots now

They will start Knocking him down the same way they did to Brady in 07' and I for one will love every minute off it.:)

Dewey wins, dewey wins!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back