Not open for further replies.

pats1

PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
http://clevelandbrowns.com/news_room/news/arts/5586.0.html

Browns lose a center, gain another
By Zac Jackson, Staff Writer
August 8, 2006

The Browns are without a center - at least temporarily - and have added another to their training camp roster.

The Browns placed Bob Hallen on the exempt-left team list Tuesday evening. Browns coach Romeo Crennel said Hallen was dealing with "medical and personal issues" and wasn't with the team.

Placing him on the exempt-left team list opened a roster spot, and the Browns filled that by trading a conditional 2007 draft pick to New England to acquire Ross Tucker, a veteran of five NFL seasons and four teams.

Tucker (6-foot-4, 310) played in one game for the Patriots last year. He started 12 of 16 games at guard and center for Buffalo in 2004 after starting 12 and playing in five in 2003.

Tucker has started 24 games and played 42 since entering the league as an undrafted free agent out of Princeton in 2001. He played with Washington in 2001 and the start of 2002. After being waived by the Redskins, he went on to start the final seven games of 2002 at left guard for the Cowboys.

What's known about Hallen's situation is that Hallen practiced Monday morning, didn't practice Monday afternoon due to what Crennel called "back issues", and didn't report to Berea Tuesday. He spoke to Crennel and explained his situation.

"He gave me good enough reason to have some concern on my part," Crennel said.

Surprised this hasn't broken anywhere else except for the Browns' website and KFFL.

Last edited:
Nice, pick up a conditional pick (which will end up being a late rounder since Tucker will most likely play all the team's games) for a guy who might not have even made the team.

Hallen had issues when he was with the Pats also. He left the Pats camp ('04 I think).

ESPN/AP is confirming:

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2543864&campaign=rss&source=NFLHeadlines

Updated: Aug. 8, 2006, 8:07 PM ET
Hallen leaves Browns with personal, medical issues
Associated Press

Shortly after practice Tuesday at training camp in suburban Berea, near Cleveland, the Browns placed Hallen on the exempt/left squad list. To get help at center, the club also traded a conditional pick in next year's draft to the New England Patriots for center Ross Tucker.

Last edited:
Willie55 said:
Hallen had issues when he was with the Pats also. He left the Pats camp ('04 I think).

2004 indeed.

So the Browns lost Bentley for the season, then they signed Todd Washington who retired shortly thereafter, now Hallen is having his doubts.

Hope Tucker is not the next victim.

Guess we'll never get a clear answer to the Tucker/Mruczkowski saga. We could perhaps get a feel if we knew which one Cleveland initially bid for...

pats1 said:
2004 indeed.

So the Browns lost Bentley for the season, then they signed Todd Washington who retired shortly thereafter, now Hallen is having his doubts.

Hope Tucker is not the next victim.

Hey...and have the Pats seen their customary OL retirement the past two training camps? It turns out it was Romeo's personal curse!

This brings the Pats back down to 78 players, or 2 under the limit.

---------------

92 total

-1 Did Not Report (Branch)

-1 Reserve/Left Camp (McGrew)

-2 Injured Reserve (Mitchell, Shelton)

=88

-9 NFLE Exemptions (Mortensen, Charles, Steitz, Henry, Musinski, Z. Smith, Freeman, Ventrone, Spann)

-1 Bonus Exemption (Jackson)

---------------

=78

Last edited:
Dan Stevenson is making this team I'm willing to bet now.

Richter said:
Dan Stevenson is making this team I'm willing to bet now.

His chances just improved, yes. Still far from a lock.

(Then again, his chances took a hit when Koppen came back. They'll take another once Kaczur returns).

The Pats will likely only carry two backup interior linemen, and Hoch and Mruc look to be the clear frontrunners for those.

Last edited:
Still no Reiss report!

Box_O_Rocks said:
Guess we'll never get a clear answer to the Tucker/Mruczkowski saga. We could perhaps get a feel if we knew which one Cleveland initially bid for...

As one who has had very very big hopes for Tucker ... and wondered plaintively in these pages
whether anyone had seen him do ANYTHING at camp ...
i can live happily with Mruc.

Mruc is an Andruzzi ... waiting to happen.

ps, patchick - yes, Romeo's personal curse ... brilliant !

Reiss has his report up:

August 08, 2006
Tucker traded

The Patriots have traded offensive lineman Ross Tucker to the Cleveland Browns tonight. The Patriots will receive a conditional draft choice in 2007.

Tucker's agent, Joe Linta, said the deal was consummated after the Patriots' Tuesday afternoon practice.

"Ross is sad to leave but knows he was fighting for an eighth, ninth or 10th roster spot," Linta said. "Tomorrow, he's competing for the starting center job with the Browns."

Linta helped facilitate the deal after being granted permission by the Patriots to speak with Cleveland officials. Linta said Tucker was appreciative of the Patriots' approach, allowing him the chance to pursue a potentially better opportunity.

Posted By: mreiss | Time: 08:58:59 PM

Last edited:
Tucker (6-foot-4, 310) played in one game for the Patriots last year. He started 12 of 16 games at guard and center for Buffalo in 2004 after starting 12 and playing in five in 2003.
What am I missing here? How does a guy start 12 games but only play in 5?????

whats the highest we can get if he plays all 16 games?

spacecrime said:
What am I missing here? How does a guy start 12 games but only play in 5?????

Flip-flopped.

PFT:

http://www.profootballtalk.com/rumormill.htm

POSTED 9:56 p.m. EDT, August 8, 2006
HALLEN NOT HURT, RETIRING TOMORROW

A source with knowledge as to the bizarre developments regarding Browns center Bob Hallen tells us that Hallen is not injured and is expected to retire.
Various published reports suggest that Hallen left the team for personal and medical reasons.

Per the source, Hallen has gone AWOL because he couldn't handle the stress and pressure of being a starter for his hometown team, with which he signed a two-year deal in March. If/when he retires, Hallen most likely will be required to pay back whatever signing or roster bonus he received.

As legend has it, Hallen once pulled a similar move when he became the starter at Kent State University, leaving the team the day after he was named the starter. The source says that he later was convinced to return by the coaching staff and his family.

Hallen became the starter after LeCharles Bentley suffered a torn patella tendon on July 26. Hallen has eight years of experience, with 47 NFL starts.

The Browns' center position is henceforth dubbed "The Black Hole."

Last edited:
Didn't Hallen retire on us and then renege and go play with the Vikings?

primetime said:
Didn't Hallen retire on us and then renege and go play with the Vikings?

I thought that Hallen was one of the last cuts before the start of the '04 season. Was Mruc also cut, or did he make the 53?
If anyone can remember what exactly happened two years ago, please let us know.
Now Tucker is gone, helping Mruc's chances, again.
I would be very surprised if the Browns' 1st choice was Mruc.
I would be very disappointed if the pats' 1st choice to trade was Tucker.

it seems like most in here would take mruc over stevenson
what makes u feel that way
other than the experience factor

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes