PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Ross Tucker steal or dud?

Status
Not open for further replies.

RayClay

Hall of Fame Poster
Reaction score
I've heard good things about this guy.

He has a lot of starting experience and I know some Bills fans were pissed that he was cut, (rehabing a back injury last training camp I think).

With doubts about Koppen's recovery, do you think this guy can step in the G-C rotation or even win the job?

Win a job? Probably not. Work his way into the rotation, he has a good chance. We might be very happy to have him if the o-line suffers another rash of injuries.

On the other hand, could he be the next token camp retirement?

Last edited by a moderator:
Like i said in your other thread its probably just too early to tell but the significant gains to our offensive line through FA and the draft doesnt bold well for his time here.

SeanBruschi54 said:
Like i said in your other thread its probably just too early to tell but the significant gains to our offensive line through FA and the draft doesnt bold well for his time here.

We've got tough competition at OL, which is great IMO.

However, If Koppen is slow coming back we are thin at center.

This guy has more starting experience then Hochstein and McKsksksksi (sp):D

put together and I don'r think we have anybody else who can play center.

SeanBruschi54 said:

My other thread?

Between forum hopping and name changing you put me in the twilight zone for a second there. I like your name here better.:D

Don't discount the need for a competent center. That's my point. Hochstein seemed allright, but Mcrosksksks is totally unknown except he's more known than a 6th round pick.

I'm not talking Hannah here, but I think Center is the most important backup you have. Versatile, reliable backup/starter is why I think steal.

Last edited:
RayClay said:

Actually the team has others...they are using Stevenson there..and I think Barthelmes as well has played center..Yates?? I think as well..also I think Mankins has in college. Tucker is a good veteran to have..as he can play many positions.. Retire?? Not old enough to..

Last edited:
Pats726 said:
Actulayy the team has others...they are using Stevenson there..and I think Barthelmes as well has played center..Yates?? I thing as well..also I think Mankins has in college. Tucker is a good veteran to have..as he can play many positions.. Retire?? Not old enough to..

I'm kinda obsessed with having a good backup center at all times.

I don't think Stevenson played it in college. I'm sure they're working him there as that's key to making it in the NFL for him.

I think PS is more in his immediate future than stepping in at center, though.

Tucker has a lot of starting experience for a backup and is only 27.

Last edited:
Hochstein was our starting center all last year. I don't think Tucker will beat him out for the gameday backup G/C. However, I do think that he makes the team by beating out Mruczkowksi, especially if Koppen is not 100%. BTW, how many game has Tucker started at center?

BOTTOM LINE, I guess he's a steal. He was a free agent picked up in the middle of the season who can start at two positions if needed. A solid backup for free is a steal. Even if he's our #8 or #9 OL, he's a steal.

RayClay said:

Last edited:
In my opinion, I think the Patriots really like a lot of the young offensive linemen they've brought in, which could make it tough for guys like Tucker to get a roster spot if enough of the young guys impress at TC. Something tells me that from the size of the guys BB has brought in, he's looking for some bigger players on the O-line. Anyone else have that feeling?

patriotsrule said:
In my opinion, I think the Patriots really like a lot of the young offensive linemen they've brought in, which could make it tough for guys like Tucker to get a roster spot if enough of the young guys impress at TC. Something tells me that from the size of the guys BB has brought in, he's looking for some bigger players on the O-line. Anyone else have that feeling?

Absolutely. We're talking about the ability to play center and other positions here. I think that's his edge.

We're going to cut some good limemen for a change. Lots of competition.

mgteich said:
Hochstein was our starting center all last year. I don't think Tucker will beat him out for the gameday backup G/C. However, I do think that he makes the team by beating out Mruczkowksi, especially if Koppen is not 100%. BTW, how many game has Tucker started at center?

BOTTOM LINE, I guess he's a steal. He was a free agent picked up in the middle of the season who can start at two positions if needed. A solid backup for free is a steal. Even if he's our #8 or #9 OL, he's a steal.

Could only confirm 4 or 5 starts out of 24, but that's with google.

These links indicate he played well enough to earn the starting Center job prior to his injury.

In the second link, S.I. projects him as the starting center.

http://bills.mostvaluablenetwork.com/2005/07/

Tucker started 13 games for the Bills in 2004, 4 at center when Teague was injured and the last 9 at LG. Tucker is a very smart player, a good run blocker and the fact the Bills offensive line showed tremendous improvement with him in the lineup, both at center and guard, can’t be dismissed. He will enter camp again in a backup role but don’t be surprised if he’s in the lineup on opening day.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/football/nfl/specials/preview/2005/teams/afce/buffalo_bills.html

SeanBruschi54 said:

Ross Tucker IS ONE of those "significant gains to our offensive line" !

Now he has had time to learn the Patriots system.
His time here "doesn't bode well" for less-accomplished men ... like Yates ... Gorin ... or Mruc.

I agree that Yates and Mruc are gone. I don't think Gorin is affected.

Mankins,Koppen,Neal,Hochstein,Tucker
are out interior OL's, with Stevenson likely going to the practice squad. If Koppen is on the PUP list, then Mruc gets to stay (for at least half a season).

Light,Kaczur,Gorin,O'Callaghan are out OT's, although Britt could surprise (but then why draft O'callaghan?

BTW, who are these great OL's that we are cutting, that the league will just jump at adding to their 53? Britt? Mruc? Yates?

flutie2phelan said:
Ross Tucker IS ONE of those "significant gains to our offensive line" !

Now he has had time to learn the Patriots system.
His time here "doesn't bode well" for less-accomplished men ... like Yates ... Gorin ... or Mruc.

mgteich said:
BTW, who are these great OL's that we are cutting, that the league will just jump at adding to their 53? Britt? Mruc? Yates?

If this question is addressed to me ...
(a) in this thread i called 3 Pats "less-accomplished" ... not "great";
(b) some time ago i referred to the same trio as "able to play in this league" ... not "great".

I expect 2 of Gorin/Mruc/Yates to miss the 53.
While both Tucker and Britt push them out.

RayClay said that we would need to cut some quality lineman for a change. We disagree on Britt and Gorin, but I would certainly be happy to see Britt beat out our starting 2005 RT and be the Game Day backup at LT and RT, Gorin's expected 2006 position.

flutie2phelan said:
If this question is addressed to me ...
(a) in this thread i called 3 Pats "less-accomplished" ... not "great";
(b) some time ago i referred to the same trio as "able to play in this league" ... not "great".

I expect 2 of Gorin/Mruc/Yates to miss the 53.
While both Tucker and Britt push them out.

mgteich said:
I agree that Yates and Mruc are gone. I don't think Gorin is affected.

Mankins,Koppen,Neal,Hochstein,Tucker
are out interior OL's, with Stevenson likely going to the practice squad. If Koppen is on the PUP list, then Mruc gets to stay (for at least half a season).

Light,Kaczur,Gorin,O'Callaghan are out OT's, although Britt could surprise (but then why draft O'callaghan?

I guess I meant you don't make it by default anymore. Seems to me the last OL spot was a questionable "coached up" practice squader.

Of course look at the contract Ashworth got.

Tucker played okay in the Miami game to end the regular season.

- He can play 4 of 5 line positions.
- He has starting experience at G & C from Buffalo where there was a great deal of controversy when he was cut, several team mates reportedly felt he was a scapegoat for the club while they kept less effective higher draft choices.
- Princeton reportedly has decent academic standards, suggesting he will learn the system well enough.
- under 30.

Competition:
- Dan Koppen: injury question.
- Russ Hochstein: proven reserve at LG, C, and TE; has taken reps at RG, RT, FB, reserve LS.
- Gene Mruczkowski: bad penny reserve at C/G, shadow roster veteran who will likely slide to shadow roster again and may be looked at by NYJ and Cleveburg when they assess their depth.
- Billy Yates: Practice Squad survivor, G & emergency center training, he'll likely slide to the shadow roster and be looked at by NYJ and Cleveburg too.
- Brian Barthelmes: UDFA rookie with starting experience at all three interior positions. He's fighting for a Practice Squad slot or a place on the shadow roster and an allocation to NFLE.
- Nick Steitz: NFLE allocation G fighting for Practice Squad slot.
- Dan Stevenson: 6th round rookie at G fighting for Practice Squad slot or shadow roster and NFLE allocation.
- Jeff Roehl: NFLE allocation, used up his Practice Squad eligibility, shadow roster candidate.
- Ryan O'Callaghan: 5th round rookie, RT projected to G in NFL, fighting for Practice Squad slot.

Tucker's versatility puts him in competition with Mruczkowski and Yates for number three behind Koppen and Hochstein inside, also known as the game day inactives.

Let's not forget that Mruczkowski was the active G/C, with Ross Tucker being inactive MANY times last year.

In fact, whenever Ashworth lined up at FB, Mankins switched to LT and Mruczkowski came in at LG. I was VERY PLEASED from what I saw out of Mruc.

Mruc also saw spot snaps at LG for Mankins during the December Buffalo game. And again, he played blemish-free.

Mruc and Tucker will both be battling to make the roster. Regardless of what Tucker has done on an injury-ravaged 2003 Bills line, I think Mruc has the upper-hand, as he's been in the system for 3 years now.

Box_O_Rocks said:

- He has starting experience at G & C from Buffalo where there was a great deal of controversy when he was cut, several team mates reportedly felt he was a scapegoat for the club while they kept less effective higher draft choices.
- Princeton reportedly has decent academic standards, suggesting he will learn the system well enough.
- under 30.

Competition:
- Russ Hochstein: proven reserve at LG, C, and TE; has taken reps at RG, RT, FB, reserve LS.
- Gene Mruczkowski: bad penny reserve at C/G, shadow roster veteran who will likely slide to shadow roster again and may be looked at by NYJ and Cleveburg when they assess their depth.
- Billy Yates: Practice Squad survivor, G & emergency center training, he'll likely slide to the shadow roster and be looked at by NYJ and Cleveburg too.
- Brian Barthelmes: UDFA rookie with starting experience at all three interior positions. He's fighting for a Practice Squad slot or a place on the shadow roster and an allocation to NFLE.
- Dan Stevenson: 6th round rookie at G fighting for Practice Squad slot or shadow roster and NFLE allocation.
- Jeff Roehl: NFLE allocation, used up his Practice Squad eligibility, shadow roster candidate.
- Ryan O'Callaghan: 5th round rookie, RT projected to G in NFL, fighting for Practice Squad slot.

Tucker's versatility puts him in competition with Mruczkowski and Yates for number three behind Koppen and Hochstein inside, also known as the game day inactives.
I like your assessment...I really think there will be some intresting battles..I wonder if one of the tackles steps up if they would trade Gorin?? Just a thought...I am not sure..

Box_O_Rocks said:

- under 30.

Competition:

Excellent rundown. Thanks.:D (We should have an applause smilie for that. Olinemen don't quite warrant rock star smilie status).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back