PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Ross Tucker: Pats player on IR practiced in 2005 [merged]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Ross tucker on players practicing on IR

Well, is it true?

If the truth becomes known, then how can it be a bad thing...

Actually, to be honest, it's about as fair and level-headed a piece as I've seen on the "Illegal Videotaping Procedure-gate" nonsense (thank you, Rich Eisen).

Last edited:

I'm been impressed with all the Tucker pieces for SI. Not at all what you'd expect from an ex-jock. Some pretty good analysis, although not so much in this particular one.

That's the kind of level-headed rebuke I felt the pats deserved. I think, all considered, this spygate nonesense has made them a better team.

The Patriots deserve to have a first-round draft pick stripped for next year because this violation is as serious as taping. That is, if the NFL wants to be consistent.

Why is it all of our sins are laid before the world when videotaping signals was where this started? As if other teams are so clean?

This whole thing has been so unfair.

The Patriots deserve to have a first-round draft pick stripped for next year because this violation is as serious as taping. That is, if the NFL wants to be consistent.

Let's not go there; in any case, Goodell has said it would normally result in a fine, and he's counting it as part of the $750K that's already been forfeited.

You could argue that, and it would have been deserved. The problem becomes the perception of a piling on....we may have former players and coaches coming out of the woodwork alleging other teams have done the same thing. Which would be a nightmare scenario. Goodell might be wise to declare an amnesty for shenanigans that happened in the past, especially 5+ years ago, and just go aggressively after rules violators going forward.

Maybe the forfeiture of a mid-round pick could be assessed. Frankly, I still can't believe the Broncos were fined a #3 for circumventing the salary cap and illegal videotaping cost the Pats a #1 and record fine.

Last edited:

You could argue that, and it would have been deserved. The problem becomes the perception of a piling on....we may have former players and coaches coming out of the woodwork alleging other teams have done the same thing. Which would be a nightmare scenario. Goodell might be wise to declare an amnesty for shenanigans that happened in the past, especially 5+ years ago, and just go aggressively after rules violators going forward.

Maybe the forfeiture of a mid-round pick could be assessed. Frankly, I still can't believe the Broncos were fined a #3 for circumventing the salary cap and illegal videotaping cost the Pats a #1 and record fine.

Dryheat--please see my above post re: the penalty for the IR "violation." Also, FWIW, I believe the total fine against the Donkeys for their salary cap shenanigans was larger than what the Pats were fined in aggregate; the fine against BB, though, was the largest ever against a coach.

So wait, I know this isn't crimial court but aren't there ex post facto protections. I mean, an NFL rep didn't actually catch the Pats practicing a PUP player.

So wait, I know this isn't crimial court but aren't there ex post facto protections. I mean, an NFL rep didn't actually catch the Pats practicing a PUP player.

Ah, you forget. Right now, even the suspicion of wrongdoing (with no evidence) is enough for Kaiser Goodell.

Let's not go there; in any case, Goodell has said it would normally result in a fine, and he's counting it as part of the $750K that's already been forfeited.

Are you saying that the commish admits the fine was way way too excessive and so anything bad that the Patriots have done is already taken care of by the outrageously excessive fine?

Interesting little story about Buffalo in there.

That seemed like a fair and level-headed article to me, IMO.

An ex player spilling the beans. I love these guys that become rightuous AFTER the fact.

An ex player spilling the beans. I love these guys that become rightuous AFTER the fact.

I didn't get a righteous tone from the article at all. It was matter of fact and showed how gray the issue of "cheating" in football is. Whether he intended to or not, he only helped prove points fans on this site have been making for quite some time.

The risk/reward is a totally illogical argument to make because it is in hindsight of the punishment.

Yes Belichick and Pioli are very smart and if you told them "your ex-protege is going to rat you out and the NFL is going to go bat-**** and penalize you excessively for breaking a procedure that they damn well know other teams do as well", then yes, I would agree with all of the stupid/arrogant/smug arguments that I have seen.

But in the context of how the NFL works and how long stuff like this has been going on, they obviously felt their was no risk. I have come to accept that waiting for logic from anyone in the media is a foolish exercise.

Are you saying that the commish admits the fine was way way too excessive and so anything bad that the Patriots have done is already taken care of by the outrageously excessive fine?

I wouldn't put it in exactly those terms, but that's not much of an exaggeration. [I'd argue it's more along the lines of, "the fine I would impose for that is so small relative to what they've already paid, that there's no point."]

Do you really believe that he was the ONLY player in the NFL on IR to have practiced?? Get a grip...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots