PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Rooting For The AFC

Status
Not open for further replies.

mgteich

PatsFans.com Veteran
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
I have rooted for the AFC since its founding. I always root for an AFC team when they play an NFC team, unless the result will adversely affect the patriots. The AFC plays better football. I like our style of football. But, how can you like the style of football and root from the NFC instead?

I also root for past patriot coaches and players.

I understand Boston fans hating other teams so much. I think it part of being a Red Sox fan.

The only AFC teams that I ever actively disliked was Miami under Shula and Denver under Elway. That was because SHula made his own rules and beat us 18 times in a row, and of course I got tired of our annual trip to Mile High.

Last edited:
I just can't get myself to root for the Squeelers. I'm indifferent when it comes to the Seahawks.

The Seahawks were in the AFC up until a couple years ago, so you can root for them and still feel OK

Just cant' root for the Steelers.

Things they said .... fans that posted here ... their

"the best team didn't win" when PATs beat them .....

AFC allegiance is one thing but not at the expense of integerity and to root for
the Steelers would be disrespecting the PATs because of the mouths on that
team than put the PATs down.
No way no how .... can I root for that team AFC or not. :explative
I hope the Seahawks beat them up. :violent:

JR4 said:
Just cant' root for the Steelers.

Things they said .... fans that posted here ... their

"the best team didn't win" when PATs beat them .....

AFC allegiance is one thing but not at the expense of integerity and to root for
the Steelers would be disrespecting the PATs because of the mouths on that
team than put the PATs down.
No way no how .... can I root for that team AFC or not. :explative
I hope the Seahawks beat them up. :violent:
:agree: My feelings exactly.

The only thing about rooting for the AFC is that some of them to me are not true AFC teams...still remember the old AFL..Steeelers,,Colts Browns??? Hardly real AFC..LOL...To me they are NFC teams as imposters...LOL..Could NOT root for the Steelers...esp with their wild card situation.

Well, I look at it this way. After the Patriots first SB win, I was in a euphoric state for about 6 months. I decided then that if I couldn't feel that way again, I would like my friends to. I don't have any friends that are Seahawks fans, but I have three good friends who are Steelers fans, and aren't old enough to have really enjoyed the 70s run. Therefore, I hope the Steelers win for them.

jimmyjames said:
The Seahawks were in the AFC up until a couple years ago, so you can root for them and still feel OK
Duh.... I forgot all about that.

Screw the Steelers - I kind of hope they lose a heartbreaker - you know, they have the game in hand and somehow lose it with less than a minute left....something that will torture their fans for years. Yah, that's what I want.

Garbanza said:
Screw the Steelers - I kind of hope they lose a heartbreaker - you know, they have the game in hand and somehow lose it with less than a minute left....something that will torture their fans for years. Yah, that's what I want.

That's something that I would say. Maybe not about the Steelers in this years SB, yet.

If it were a team on my top 5 hate list, Giants, Raiders, Colts, Ravens, Jest, Cowboys (that's 6) , I would say that exact thing.

Pats726 said:
The only thing about rooting for the AFC is that some of them to me are not true AFC teams...still remember the old AFL..Steeelers,,Colts Browns??? Hardly real AFC..LOL...To me they are NFC teams as imposters...LOL..Could NOT root for the Steelers...esp with their wild card situation.

It's been quite a while now though (Steelers, Browns, etc. in the AFC). Will you still feel this way in 50 years? 100? Oh...whatever happened to Ted's head? :eek:

PATSNUTme said:
That's something that I would say. Maybe not about the Steelers in this years SB, yet.

If it were a team on my top 5 hate list, Giants, Raiders, Colts, Ravens, Jest, Cowboys (that's 6) , I would say that exact thing.

Not a bad list, but don't you think the Raiders deserve pity more than hate at this time? Man, slow week for Patriots fans, huh?

mgteich said:
I understand Boston fans hating other teams so much. I think it part of being a Red Sox fan.
I'm not a Red Sox fan. Baseball bores me to death. Go Seahawks.

Garbanza said:
:ditto:

And I actually sort of like the Seahawks.

Johnny Mac said:
:ditto:

And I actually sort of like the Seahawks.

I do too, but the only guy that bugs me is Shaun Alexander. He goes from malcontent last year complaining about his coaches not helping him get the rushing title to this perpetual SE grin guy this year every time he's interviewed. I mean, it's like the smile is painted on! Maybe it's the option year thing. He also runs behind a great line that would get Dillon right back on track, IMO, so he's overrated. I have nothing against any other aspects of the Seahawks though.

Fanfrom1960 said:
I do too, but the only guy that bugs me is Shaun Alexander. He goes from malcontent last year complaining about his coaches not helping him get the rushing title to this perpetual SE grin guy this year every time he's interviewed. I mean, it's like the smile is painted on! Maybe it's the option year thing. He also runs behind a great line that would get Dillon right back on track, IMO, so he's overrated. I have nothing against any other aspects of the Seahawks though.

How come no one understands what happened to Alexander last year. Imagine, you are 1 yard away from achieving one of your personal goals, not to mention one that gives you a substantial bargaining chip at your next contract negotiation. The ball is at the 1 yd line and you are the goalline back. The game and the season are essentially over. The coach is aware of your situation, but chooses to f you over for no good reason. Now imagine you work at a law firm, and are 1 hour away from reaching a certain level of hours that will bring you a $50,000 bonus. Your boss demands you go home and take the rest of the year off; he's got someone else to take care of your work for the rest of the year. Are you pissed? Do you confront him about it? I think so.

letekro said:
How come no one understands what happened to Alexander last year. Imagine, you are 1 yard away from achieving one of your personal goals, not to mention one that gives you a substantial bargaining chip at your next contract negotiation. The ball is at the 1 yd line and you are the goalline back. The game and the season are essentially over. The coach is aware of your situation, but chooses to f you over for no good reason. Now imagine you work at a law firm, and are 1 hour away from reaching a certain level of hours that will bring you a $50,000 bonus. Your boss demands you go home and take the rest of the year off; he's got someone else to take care of your work for the rest of the year. Are you pissed? Do you confront him about it? I think so.

You make a good argument, but then there are those that say a player shouldn't be concerned about his stats, should just be playing to win. Kind of hard to ignore the rushing title though. This year, Holmgren put him back into a game that was out of reach for the other team so he could break (tie?) the TD record. So, the other team got p'd off. I still say he's way overrated.

Fanfrom1960 said:
It's been quite a while now though (Steelers, Browns, etc. in the AFC). Will you still feel this way in 50 years? 100? Oh...whatever happened to Ted's head? :eek:
well ask anyone who LIVED through the merger and try to see how one lumps those NFL teams in with the AFL...AFC teams.....Sure they have been there for years, but..when you are comparing the leagues..it's a LOT deeper..
I'll be happy to be alive in 50...LOL....Ted's head..eek is RIGHT!!! Go Hawks!!!

Fanfrom1960 said:
The operative thought here is A GREAT LINE. Just what the Pats need!:D

1st off, I'm hoping for a good game. I don't want to be bored at the half of a 21-0 game. I usually root for the AFC except when I dont like that year's version of the AFC team. And I don't like this yera's versiopn of the Steelers. They are just too ****y about it for me. And Hasselebck is a Mass guy. Plus he's bald -)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots