Room At The Bottom Of The Roster

Status
Not open for further replies.

mgteich

PatsFans.com Veteran
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
"NEEDS"
We could use a LB, a STer, a LS, and or a KR. All are possible.

PLACES TO LOOK FOR CUTS
We have 2 extra DT's. At least one might be on the Practice Squad or on of the IR lists.
We have recently added Jones at S.

OFFENSE
I don't see much movement. We lost Mankins and Mallett. We added Wright. Other than these moves, the roster is solid and what many of us expected (within a player). The only add I could possibly see would be at RB/KR.

Drop D. Jones and sign a LB. Try to sneak Gaston onto PS and sign your LS. KR's are almost obsolete.

Drop D. Jones and sign a LB. Try to sneak Gaston onto PS and sign your LS. KR's are almost obsolete.
I agree. However, I wouldn't oppose having Thigpen on the roster.

Thig could be situational. Let's say your ST coach has scouted a flaw in an opponents kick coverage. Put him on the 53 for that game and see if you can get 7 pts or at least superior field position.

It's interesting that BB favored Thig over several folks binkie Finch.

"NEEDS"

PLACES TO LOOK FOR CUTS
We have 2 extra DT's. At least one might be on the Practice Squad or on of the IR lists.

OFFENSE
I don't see much movement. We lost Mankins and Mallett. We added Wright. Other than these moves, the roster is solid and what many of us expected (within a player). The only add I could possibly see would be at RB/KR.
I think that James White will return kicks. I think with the limited number of returns in the NFL now, Belichick prefers using a RB as the KR because it is a player who is used to having the ball in his hand and will not fumble, I do not think he prioritizes having a player that can take it to the house back there anymore.

I also think Nate Ebner is going to play the role that Tracy White and Chris White has played on ST in recent years, with Chung assuming the role he played last season, so I would say these 10 players would be the top used ST players:

1. Slater
2. Ebner
3. Chung
4. Wilson
5. D Jones
6. Fleming
7. Arrington
8. Buchanan
9. Butler
10. Bolden

Kick returners have become virtually worthless, especially in warm weather climates during the month of September.

"NEEDS"

PLACES TO LOOK FOR CUTS

OFFENSE
Drop Patrick Chung and sign a long snapper. The New England Patriots do need not six safeties on the 53 man roster.

Last edited:
OUT
White and Fletcher

IN
Chung and Fleming

I would prefer the first set by far.

IN ADDITION
You have Don Jones as our #5 special teamer. First, that requires that he be on the 53. Second, that requires that he be active. You have hime replacing McCourty on the Special teams chart (one of our top special teamers in 2013). He would need to replace McCourty's contribution as well as whoever was inactive with him active.

Finally, Harmon not being in the top 10 is possible, but not likely.

I think that James White will return kicks. I think with the limited number of returns in the NFL now, Belichick prefers using a RB as the KR because it is a player who is used to having the ball in his hand and will not fumble, I do not think he prioritizes having a player that can take it to the house back there anymore.

I also think Nate Ebner is going to play the role that Tracy White and Chris White has played on ST in recent years, with Chung assuming the role he played last season, so I would say these 10 players would be the top used ST players:

1. Slater
2. Ebner
3. Chung
4. Wilson
5. D Jones
6. Fleming
7. Arrington
8. Buchanan
9. Butler
10. Bolden

OUT
White and Fletcher

IN
Chung and Fleming

I would prefer the first set by far.
Pat Chung is an excellent ST Player, one of the best that we have had in the last 5 seasons, I would rather have over either White or Fletcher. Fleming is a bit of an unknown, but honestly, I expect that Chris White will be back on the team sometime before Sunday. I think Belichick is buying some time and will move 1 of the DL (I would guess Vellano or Gaston) to the practice squad.

We seem to have a "ready to go" 50 man squad.

I wonder what the under and over with regard to transactions between the "final" season starting 53 and those on the 53 for Game 1 (or even Game 2). I suspect that Belichick makes more transactions than any other GM.

KEEPING SCORE - 51

Jones as Player 51 (a good special teamer)
no LS
no KR
no 5th LB

Of course, there are players the team knows well ready to sign at these positions, on the Practice Squad and on speed dial (Aiken and White).

Nice Guy Joey ain't goin' nowhere…he's got The Pictures...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back