PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Rook's Consensus Mock Draft

Status
Not open for further replies.

rookBoston

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
So, here's what I've done. I've compiled the first round mock draft from 10 pretty good sites, and I've pulled together a consensus mock draft. The 10 sites I used are: Huddlegeeks, NFLCountdown, NFLDraftMock, DJNFLMockDraft, EastCoastSporst, NFLDraftOffice, MTMock, QISports, JunkYardJake, NorthwestScouting. All ten have fairly recent mock drafts, and are pretty knowledgable.

I charted all the players, where they were picked. I accounted for mock draft trades, and washed it all out.

After each player's name, I'll list three numbers: the highest selection they were taken in 10 mocks, the median selection they were taken, and the lowest. For each pick, I'll take the BPA among the players who were taken by that team in at least one mock draft.

(#) Team - Pos Player Name (High/Median/Low)

(1) Raiders - QB Jamarcus Russell (1/1/3)
Russell is the top pick in 7 of 10 mocks. In the other three, Calvin takes the top spot.

(2) Lions - WR Calvin Johnson (1/2/4)
Quinn is the most common selection at #2 (4 mocks). Johnson is only selected by Detroit twice. But he is the type of player who can help any team... even one that has drafted a WR in the 1st over and over.

(3) Browns - QB Brady Quinn (2/3/4)
All that talk that Quinn might fall to Miami at #9 is not in the cards according to these mockers. No one had him lasting beyond the Bucs at #4.

(4) Bucs - OT Joe Thomas (2/4/5)
Thomas is most commonly drafted by Atlanta at #5. But his talent is a draw for the Lions and Browns, too. I dont think the Bucs really need him as much as they need other positions... including QB. Given that, I think the chances of a trade in the top-5 are very good.

(5) Cardinals - DE Gaines Adams (4/6/16)
With the big four off the board, the field opens up. Adams is actually the consensus #6 pick, but it begs the question, who the heck is Arizona going to take? The best the Cards can do is hope that one of the teams in the top-4 reach for Peterson or Okoye, and let Thomas drop to them. Landry is also a common choice, but he generally lasts until #7. Interesting to note that Adams drops to SF @11, St Louis @13 and GreenBay @16 in three minority opinions. That type of pattern raises questions about downside.

(6) Redskins - DT Amobi Okoye (6/7/13)
Okoye is taken by the Skins in 4 of 10 mocks, and is very clearly favored over Alan Branch. Also fits a need.

(7) Vikings - SS Laron Landry (5/7/8)
#7 is the first sweet spot in the draft, where the Vikes can afford to sit and wait to see what falls to them. Adams, Landry, Okoye, Peterson... they'll be able to choose from at least two of them, and feel good that the value is top notch.

(8) Hawks - RB Adrian Peterson (3/8/10)
Peterson is selected as a top-5 pick in 2 mocks, but is most frequently drafted by Atlanta. He never lasts beyond Houston at #10... which is yet another reminder of the Reggie Bush screwup.

(9) Fins - DE Jamaal Anderson (6/8/19)
Anderson is a prospect that leaves me thinking "BUST!". I honestly dont see the appeal. But, he only drops past #9 in 2 out of the 10 mocks I reviewed. I do respect the gutsy mocker who had him dropping all the way to Tennessee at 19.

(10) Texans - DT Alan Branch (5/9/13)
This seems a little late in the top-10 for Branch, but here's another guy who has all the makings of a big time flop. Still, at #10 the Texans are getting good value for the measurables and game experience.

(11) Niners - LB Patrick Willis (11/12/15)
San Francisco is in a tight spot. There is a pretty clear distinction between the top-10 players, and the rest of the field, according to these mocksters. Unless someone reaches for a player like Leon Hall or Ted Ginn in the top-10, the Niners will be the first team to dip into the next echelon of talent. 9 of 10 mock drafts have SF taking a defensive front-7 player, and I'll stay true to that, and give them Willis even though he usually lasts another pick or two.

(12) Bills - RB Marshawn Lynch (12/12/17)
Lynch is a clear favorite at this spot. In fully half of the mock drafts he's taken at #12. Who am I to question an apparent sure thing?

(13) Rams - CB Leon Hall (9/13/19)
Hall is another guy who draws a mixed opinion from mocksters. As high as #9, as low as #19? And no one team who looks like they've really fallen in love, anywhere in that range.

(14) Panthers - OT Levi Brown (10/14/ns)
Brown actually slips out of the first round in one mock. He is most commonly drafted by Houston in 4 of 10 mock drafts. Interesting that most mocks have Carolina taking TE Olsen at this spot. But in this case, Carolina decides Brown is their best value. That starts Olsen sliding a bit.

(15) Steelers - DE Adam Carricker (11/15/18)
Nice fit. I love the way the Steelers draft.

(16) Packers - WR Ted Ginn Jr (7/16/32)
Ginn wins the award for biggest questionmark in the first round. He has mocksters taking him top-10, to Minnesota. He has mocksters drafting him at #32, to Indianapolis. Green Bay and KC are the other candidates... all over the board.

(17) Jags - FS Reggie Nelson (14/17/22)
None of the ten mock drafts have Nelson lasting to New England at #24. If he does, I think BB would pull the trigger. The question is, will he trade this high for him? I think not.

(18) Bengles - TE Greg Olsen (14/16/ns)
9 of 10 mocks have Cinci taking D at #18. The 10th has them taking Olsen. But, in over half the mock drafts, Olsen is already gone by now. So, this makes some sense, and the Cinci front office will feel they got great value.

(19) Titans - WR Robert Meachem (11/19/30)
Meachem wins the prize for the most mis-spelled name. I've seen Meachum, Meecham... all kinds of crazy stuff. What does this pick mean for David Givens?

(20) Giants - CB Darrelle Revis (13/19/26)
The most common pick for the Giants is Lawrence Timmons (4 of 10). But Revis is better value.

(21) Broncs - DE Jarvis Moss (15/21/26)
Moss is the slam dunk consensus at this pick, taken by Denver in 6 of 10 drafts. wtf. Did Shanny go public with a confession of deeply held man love, or what?

(22) Cowboys - CB Chris Houston (9/22/28)
Houston actually has fans in scouting circles, going as early as 9, 15 and 19. But he most regularly goes to Dallas at this spot. It'll be interesting to see how the CBs actually come off the board on draft day, especially given the difference in size and style with Revis.

(23) Chiefs - WR Dwayne Bowe (19/22/31)
If Bowe slips past the Chiefs, he's likely to last until San Diego at #30.

(24) Pats - LB Jon Beason (18/27/32)
I have to make a confession. According to the methodology I've set out for this mock the pick at #24 should be Lawrence Timmons (20/24/ns), who is rated higher than Beason. But as a Patsfan, I just cant do it. I dont accept that Timmons is on our draft board, especially after bombing the Wonderlic. With Ross, Pos, Beason, Merriweather all still on the board, I just cant type "New England selects Lawrence Timmons, LB, Florida State". Just watch... that's probably exactly what's going to happen.

(25) Jets - CB Aaron Ross (18/25/ns)
4 of 10 mocks have the Jets taking Ross here. I actually had to look up his scouting report, because he had never made my radar. Late riser, or have I just not been paying attention?

(26) Eagles - LB Lawrence Timmons (20/24/ns)
So, here's where Timmons drops to, based on my twisting of the rules. He's actually a nice fit for the Eagles scheme, where his athleticism and speed can be put to best use. If I had stuck to the rules, this pick would have been Meriweather (21/26/ns) in a landslide.

(27) Saints - LB Paul Posluszny (18/27/32)
Pos is a guy I would have loved to take at 28, even with Beason on the team at 24. Still, I need to put some limits on how much I cheat this process.

(28) Pats - S Brandon Meriweather (21/26/ns)
So, the ripple effect of my swap at #24 is that Meriweather is still available at 28, and is a great value according to the mocksters. If I had taken Timmons at #24, this pick would have been Beason (18/27/32) or Griffin (24/28/ns). Actually, any combination of those players would probably be fine, including the combination where we draft two LBs.

(29) Ravens - OT Joe Staley (21/29/ns)
In 10 mock drafts, Baltimore takes an OT in 9, either Staley of Blalock. Wow. Talk about consensus.

(30) Chargers - WR Dwayne Jarrett (25/30/ns)
I'm surprised that Jerett doesn't go sooner than this, but he's the Charger's pick at #30 in 4 of 10 mock drafts.

(31) Bears - DT Tank Tyler (22/ns/ns)
The Bears' pick is all over the place. Unlike San Diego, where there seems to be consensus, the Bears have to hope for someone like Timmons or Staley or Houston to drop to them. Since that hasn't happened here, Tyler is the most frequent selection (only 2 of 10).

(32) Colts - S Michael Griffin (24/28/ns)
Griffin wasn't picked by the Colts in any of the mocks that I reviewed. In one, they did take Meriweather. But, every other player that was picked by the Colts is off the board, with the exception of DT Justin Harrell (32/ns/ns). I just dont think the Colts would reach for that guy with Griffin still available.

Observation
- For those of us who want to see the Pats draft LB at 24 or 28, it'll be important to watch what the Bengles do at #18. In this mock, they take O. More likely is defense. If they take a LB, and the Giants take LB at #20, then 24 may be Ross, Revis or Griffin, instead of Beason or Posluszny. Or something completely different, like Olsen or Blalock. Or... completely unexpected like Anthony Gonzalez, who didn't crack the first round in a even one of these mocks.

Observation
- For those of us who want to see the Pats draft LB at 24 or 28, it'll be important to watch what the Bengles do at #18. In this mock, they take O. More likely is defense. If they take a LB, and the Giants take LB at #20, then 24 may be Ross, Revis or Griffin, instead of Beason or Posluszny. Or something completely different, like Olsen or Blalock. Or... completely unexpected like Anthony Gonzalez, who didn't crack the first round in a even one of these mocks.

:mad:

For the love of God, no. We all know BB has his TE fixation, but Olsen provides essentially zero value to the roster. I'd almost rather see them draft Daniel Sepulveda with #24 than Olsen.

Last edited:
ICK!!! I do not consent! Quick mother, breakout the Holy water and cleanse the keyboard!

This would definitely make me cry- then seek alcoholic impairment.

Observation

Good stuff.

I would be okay if we drafted o-line with one of our pics. TE and WR are positions we are basically set at going into this season. I would hate it if we pushed aside more important needs in favor of a Olsen or Gonzalez, but I might as well prepare myself for it.

How is this a consensus mock draft, if you ignored the consensus with some of these picks?

It seems that we can get a quality LB and a quality safety at 24 and 28 and a CB if the need is created (and an extra) pick.

My gut tell me that we will also pick a RB on Day One.

Last edited:
griffin to colts is TERRIBLE

they have sanders - pro bowl safety

and Bethea who started over Doss and has played very well

griffin to colts is TERRIBLE

they have sanders - pro bowl safety

and Bethea who started over Doss and has played very well

honestly, I could see the Colts picking someone like Woodley, Harrell, Blalock, Sears, Jason Hill, Anthony Gonzo, Posluszny, Justin Durant, Quincy Black, Buster Davis, J. Wade, and McCauley before I could see them picking Griffin.

Honestly, I think all these mockers are wrong when it comes to the Browns. I think that the Browns have them al FOOLED into believing they want Brady Quinn. I think its a ruse so that they can draft Joe Thomas or Gaines Adams.

(24) Pats - LB Jon Beason (18/27/32)
I have to make a confession. According to the methodology I've set out for this mock the pick at #24 should be Lawrence Timmons (20/24/ns), who is rated higher than Beason. But as a Patsfan, I just cant do it. I dont accept that Timmons is on our draft board, especially after bombing the Wonderlic. With Ross, Pos, Beason, Merriweather all still on the board, I just cant type "New England selects Lawrence Timmons, LB, Florida State". Just watch... that's probably exactly what's going to happen.

Where did you get the bit about Timmons and the wonderlic?

Getting a QB should be Cleveland's first priority.

Their defense is decent, but could be really good if the offense could pull even a tiny bit of the load.

I can't see Russell being the guy and I'm hoping they pass on Quinn allowing him to go to Minny instead of Miami.

Therefore if they have to leave Frye in as the guy, the best thing they could do is build a solid OL to help the running game and give Frye the 4 seconds he'll need to throw the ball.

I thought the mock was pretty good. Not every pick was ideal because I don't think there are too many mocks out there that are 100% accurate. But for the most part most of the picks were believable.

As far as the Pat's picks I could see us going that way. I like both players alot and think there are many players like these two that would flourish in our system. As much as I am scared off by Merriweathers off field antics I can't deny his skill and leadership on the field. He could be as good as Landry in time if coached by our staff and players like Rodney,Samuels and Sanders. I loved BW@#28.

Again many are either on Beason's bandwagon or off of it. {Some were never on it to begin with} But much of what I have read keeps pointing to the kid's game film. If he can play football the Patriot way then he will be a good pick,you can bank on that. Liked Beason@24. I would also like Posluszny in this spot too. If Revis was here @ 24 I wouldn't even blink.

I

Getting a QB should be Cleveland's first priority.

Their defense is decent, but could be really good if the offense could pull even a tiny bit of the load.

I can't see Russell being the guy and I'm hoping they pass on Quinn allowing him to go to Minny instead of Miami.

Therefore if they have to leave Frye in as the guy, the best thing they could do is build a solid OL to help the running game and give Frye the 4 seconds he'll need to throw the ball.

Protecting the QB should be Cleveland's 1st priority. As you aluded to later on in your post.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back