PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Rookies who attend the draft should point to veterans who appear on NFL Network

Status
Not open for further replies.

cupofjoe1962

Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract
Reaction score
Rookies who attend the draft should point to veterans who appear on NFL Network | ProFootballTalk

As former NFL players and current ESPN analyst Tedy Bruschi, who knows a thing or two about the dynamics of a football team, recently wrote in urging players to stay away, “I would hate to be a rookie walking into a locker room if the last image veterans have of him is his shaking hands with the very man who canceled the health insurance for veterans’ families.”

Valid point Tedy....

On Tuesday, Browns receiver Josh Cribbs appeared via satellite. On Wednesday, Pats tight end Rob Gronkowki appeared in studio. On Monday, March 28, and Tuesday, March 29, Colts center Jeff Saturday — who has participated in the negotiations between the NFL and the players — will work as a guest analyst on NFL Network. Also appearing on March 29 will be 49ers tackle Anthony Davis.

There’s no difference, in our view, between veteran players showing up at the NFL Network studio and incoming players showing up at Radio City Music Hall. The entity that is locking out the players owns NFL Network. Even if guys like Saturday take advantage of the platform to push the players’ position in the work stoppage, the fact remains that guys like Saturday are supporting a property of the NFL by showing up at NFL Network.

Another valid points that shows that some of the players are hypocrites. Maybe Tedy should address this issue.

If those veterans are all there to discuss the player's viewpoints of the lockouts, I see no hypocrisy.

If they are there to analyze football, then I agree.

If those veterans are all there to discuss the player's viewpoints of the lockouts, I see no hypocrisy.

There are plenty of other media outlets to discuss their viewpoints
on the lockout that will not benefit the NFL owners.

By going on the NFL network they are supporting a property of the NFL.

There are plenty of other media outlets to discuss their viewpoints
on the lockout that will not benefit the NFL owners.

By going on the NFL network they are supporting a property of the NFL.

The NFL network is NFL all the time. NFL fans watch it. To cede that ground to the owners would be stupid. They are essentially fighting for their case in the main court.

It's like appearing before a rigged jury. Yes, you know it's owned by the company, and yes you're in a company town, but what choice do you have? Besides, any media organ these days cannot claim to be impartial.

Rookies who attend the draft should point to veterans who appear on NFL Network | ProFootballTalk

Valid point Tedy....

Another valid points that shows that some of the players are hypocrites. Maybe Tedy should address this issue.

I am sooooo sick of hearing about the Health Insurance. I have been laid off before. Part of a work reduction, a company closing. They offer COBRA. I paid for my health insurance through COBRA while trying to secure another job. Welcome to the real world, people! These NFL players - even the scrubs, make more money than me. So, boo-hoo. Get a deal done. I can't stand it. People making lot's of money arguing with people making even more money.

Last edited:
The NFL network is NFL all the time. NFL fans watch it. To cede that ground to the owners would be stupid. They are essentially fighting for their case in the main court.

It's like appearing before a rigged jury. Yes, you know it's owned by the company, and yes you're in a company town, but what choice do you have? Besides, any media organ these days cannot claim to be impartial.

I just don't get your comparison.

I am sooooo sick of hearing about the Health Insurance. I have been laid off before. Part of a work reduction, a company closing. They offer COBRA. I paid for my health insurance through COBRA while trying to secure another job. Welcome to the real world, people! These NFL players - even the scrubs, make more money than me. So, boo-hoo. Get a deal done. I can't stand it. People making lot's of money arguing with people making even more money.

I'm sure your profession caused the same long term physical and mental health issues that former NFL players have had to deal with as well, correct?

Well, the second they discuss any other topic such as the past season or how they see the team in 2011 or whatever, they do cross the line for hypocrisy. If they are there to please the player's case during the lockout and only that on the NFL Network, then you can argue they aren't being hypocritical. If they talk real football or other topics, then they are.

Jeff Saturday appearing as a guest analyst is not pleading the player's case on the network though. It is doing exactly what the players are accusing any prospect who appears at the draft is doing. He is helping to get ratings for a company that is supposably taking food out of his and his fellow players' families' mouths.

Last edited:
I just don't get your comparison.

I'm saying when the only venue you have to plead your case is one that's set up by your antagonist, you're a fool if you elect not to use it. Which is far different than having an associate help bolster the antagonist.

But I agree with Rob in the end. If they're only pleading their case, it's fine. I don't even know what they would bother talking about at this point in the year. What else is Saturday going to talk about?

As former NFL players and current ESPN analyst Tedy Bruschi, who knows a thing or two about the dynamics of a football team, recently wrote in urging players to stay away, “I would hate to be a rookie walking into a locker room if the last image veterans have of him is his shaking hands with the very man who canceled the health insurance for veterans’ families.”

I dont see a problem with rookies attending the draft.

Its their day in the sun, let them enjoy it before they sit in limbo unable to interact with the teams while the lawyers fight it out.

I'm sure your profession caused the same long term physical and mental health issues that former NFL players have had to deal with as well, correct?

You ever work with a bunch of lawyers? LOL!

I feel worse for coal miners, those folks that wash windows on high rises, people that build tunnels, etc. They make a fraction of what a Practice Squad Player makes and no one is battling for their health coverage. Honest to goodness, they have the means to purchase healthcare coverage when they are not working. Should their be some discounted health coverage for these folks when they leave the NFL? Sure....and they should have to buy into some supplemental program too, just like the rest of us. The rest of us do not get pensions (how many firms offer that now? Not many). The rest of us - most of us - do not make a minimum of 150K a year at the age of 22. Give me a break. I find it incredibly hard to side with either the players or the owners in this current economic climate.

You ever work with a bunch of lawyers? LOL!

I feel worse for coal miners, those folks that wash windows on high rises, people that build tunnels, etc. They make a fraction of what a Practice Squad Player makes and no one is battling for their health coverage. Honest to goodness, they have the means to purchase healthcare coverage when they are not working. Should their be some discounted health coverage for these folks when they leave the NFL? Sure....and they should have to buy into some supplemental program too, just like the rest of us. The rest of us do not get pensions (how many firms offer that now? Not many). The rest of us - most of us - do not make a minimum of 150K a year at the age of 22. Give me a break. I find it incredibly hard to side with either the players or the owners in this current economic climate.

The rest of us don't have an average career span of 2.3 years or whatever either.

Most of the lower-tier guys aren't making enough to keep them afloat for more than a few years after their careers end, if that. The guys who get big multiyear deals are probably set for life or close to it, but there aren't many of those guys.

The rest of us don't have an average career span of 2.3 years or whatever either.

Most of the lower-tier guys aren't making enough to keep them afloat for more than a few years after their careers end, if that. The guys who get big multiyear deals are probably set for life or close to it, but there aren't many of those guys.
And God forbid they can get a real job after they're done given the free college education most of them got. The fact that most of them piss that opportunity away is their issue.

Rookies who attend the draft should point to veterans who appear on NFL Network
THis is pretty much the exact thought I had when I read of Gronk's presence on the show.

How many people do you know that make a minimum of 150K a year at 22? Say the average career is three years. That's 450k. They are out of the game at 25....and can do a lot of things. Find a job. Go back to school. Etc. And, if they were smart enough, a little bit of a nest egg to get them started on the rest of their lives. I have no sympathy for either the owners or the players. Part of me thinks no season would be good. They can screw eachother the way they are screwing the fans.

How many people do you know that make a minimum of 150K a year at 22? Say the average career is three years. That's 450k. They are out of the game at 25....and can do a lot of things. Find a job. Go back to school. Etc. And, if they were smart enough, a little bit of a nest egg to get them started on the rest of their lives. I have no sympathy for either the owners or the players. Part of me thinks no season would be good. They can screw eachother the way they are screwing the fans.

Let me see if I understand this correctly -- the players make a lot of money, but you don't have health insurance or a pension, therefore... what? They should shut up and take a pay cut? I'm just trying to understand the reasoning.

And God forbid they can get a real job after they're done given the free college education most of them got. The fact that most of them piss that opportunity away is their issue.

Bingo. So a guy is a marginal NFL player, still got a free college education, played three years in the NFL and has to "retire" at the age of 25 having earned about a million dollars (we'll say $500,000 take home roughly). He now has that capital to do whatever he wants, but we're supposed to feel sorry for him because he can't go the next 50 years without a job based on three years of "service".

Sorry, the average career span of a player is NOT an excuse for anything in my book. Most people have to work 40 or 50 years.

Let me see if I understand this correctly -- the players make a lot of money, but you don't have health insurance or a pension, therefore... what? They should shut up and take a pay cut? I'm just trying to understand the reasoning.

What I am saying is that there are plenty of people that lose their health insurance. There are plenty of people that have to pay for it via COBRA. What I am saying is that they should stop b*tching about it as if they are being victimized anymore than the general public is in these hard econonmic times. And, seeing that they played a part in the work stoppage, they should stop crying about having to pay COBRA out of pocket. Shut up already. All of them can afford it more than the average Joe who is out of work.

Is anyone else completely tired of hearing a new lockout story like this everyday? The players and owners have proven with their actions that they do not care about the fans at all, why should we care how they go about splitting $9B in revenue? At this point both sides have already completely ruined the off season and they don't care 1 bit. The only thing that us fans have left is the draft, and now both sides are screwing with that. I just hope they are splitting up a lot less than $9B whenever they feel like finally playing, which looks like its gonna be awhile.

I was sick of it last month...I'm sick of these patty cake rule changes by the comp committee and rubber stamped by Bad-dull the Moron...sick of seeing greasy little lawyers" orgy themselves to the point of vomiting as they turn the sport into an exercise of "who can sling the most mud"...sick of ignorant turds like A. Petersen complaining about racism because millions of dollars isn't enough to support his poor downtrodden life...sick of it all...nice job, NFL

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back