Replies:
Very sad news: RIP Joker
Replies:
OT: Bad news - "it" is back...
Replies:
2023/2024 Patriots Roster Transaction Thread
Replies:
Asking for your support

Which Rookie on our defense will become the best player?

• Malcom Brown

Votes: 53 76.8%
  • Jordan Richards

Votes: 8 11.6%
  • Geneo Grissom

Votes: 2 2.9%
  • Trey Flowers

Votes: 6 8.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

MrNathanDrake

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
One of the things that went unnoticed from the Miami game was the play of Geneo Grissom.

He had a few good pressures and caused a sack, although I don't think he was credited with it. I'm not saying he's a future pro bowler just yet, but in that one game alone he made more plays than I ever saw Shawn Crable, Jake Bequette, and Jermaine Cunningham make in a few years.

Malcom Brown has flashed a few good plays too. He still has that rookie "deer in headlights" look in his eyes. Like he isn't quite sure of himself yet. But he's coming along. He's had some nice TFL and caused Hightower to recover a fumble in the Jets game.

Jordan Richards looks eager when he's on the field, but hasn't made any big plays yet.

Trey Flowers is officially off the injury report now.

Jordan Richards is gonna be the safety that they have tried, over and over, to draft.

This is based entirely on nothing but I wish it to be true oh so very badly.

Jordan Richards is gonna be the safety that they have tried, over and over, to draft.

This is based entirely on nothing but I wish it to be true oh so very badly.

Chung has turned into a very very good player. He was key last year in our SuperBowl run and made some huge plays on TE's. He's continued that this year. I'm shocked how good he is in coverage now, and he's still a good run defender and hasn't gotten injured so far.

Harmon is looking pretty good too. He's always in the right place at the right time and has excellent range. The only bum safety we have drafted is Tavon Wilson.

I think we are going to reflect on this defensive unit as one that was "obviously" stacked with talent/"how could they not dominate." The talent of the front seven is established and producing (unlike Mia or Buff, who haven't lived up to their billing). That is the obvious part. I do believe the secondary will prove to develop quite well over the years. What was the kid who broke his arm in preseason? Roberts? He was flashing many of the signs for stud potential outside. Excellent athlete, decent length, signs of ball skills. Richards seems to be playing as if he belongs as well.

The fact that BB/Patricia are so confident rotating these young dl through should be raising OC eyebrows across the league. While we may be able to dink and dunk your dl into exhaustion, yeah, good luck wearing out the 15 dl/lb they seem comfortable putting on the field.

Quick note,
Dear Mr. Grigson,
I would like to personally thank you for being such an incompetent boob. The AFCCG was a clear example of one of your teams most glaring weaknesses (front office person ell and ownership aside), and you completely ignored it. Enjoy your shiny new TY Hilton clone, I'm sure he'll do wonders for your defensive front 7.

Malcom Brown also asked me to thank you. He figured you couldn't be so stupid to pass on a solid player at a dire position of need. Truth be told, he really didn't want to have to be stuck in the meth soaked fly-over city poster child of Indianapolis.

Good luck earning your AFC South Participant Banner,
The Deflator

Dolts fans were upset about Grigson not taking a DT in the 1st round but that has died down a bit since they're happy with their DT/DE they took in the 3rd round I think. When Malcolm Brown develops I'm sure the Dolts fans will be pissed once again.

Last edited:
Hard to tell who will be the best, in all of these positions we have depth and use rotations.. so they have the luxury to learn the position and learn about the NFL..

Probably best to check back around game 8 of next year..

Justin Coleman (and maybe Darryl Roberts) are being dissed in this poll.

It's amazing that the Pats brought in so many contributors to a team that was already deep and stacked.

Of the four you listed, it's not close at this point: Malcom Brown is getting better and better and is going to be AT LEAST a very solid NFL DT for years to come, barring injury. His learning curve has been steep and he's just getting thrown in the trenches and doing his job.

Jordan Richards is a very smart player - when he caught the receiver who caught the ball and carried the guy out of bounds...well, that's pretty impressive. He's a very good tackler and has a nose for the play. At this point, it's hard to argue that the Pats didn't hit on Harmon, Richards, and Ryan, given where they were picked. these are NFL players.

Grissom is a wildcard. He's too small, so many said, but BB noted early that he handles much bigger OL than you'd expect, and from what I've seen in his limited play, he really does more than hold his own.

Flowers looked like a steal in the preseason (and I think he was listed as one of the steals in the draft). Can't wait to see what he can do.

Add in THREE solid, starting interior OL (and a future star guard in Mason, perhaps), and man, what a rookie class.

Oh, and you don't hear the name Cardona much, which means he's doing exactly what he was chosen to do.

Keeping in mind where they picked, did any team have a better draft than New England? How many times can you say that about a Superbowl champion?

Last edited:
Dolts fans were upset about Grigson not taking a DT in the 1st round but that has died down a bit since they're happy with their DT/DE they took in the 3rd round I think. When Malcolm Brown develops I'm sure the Dolts fans will be pissed once again.
Hes developing right now.

His snap count is up and to me, he is playing the run much better.

One of the things that went unnoticed from the Miami game was the play of Geneo Grissom.

He had a few good pressures and caused a sack, although I don't think he was credited with it. I'm not saying he's a future pro bowler just yet, but in that one game alone he made more plays than I ever saw Shawn Crable, Jake Bequette, and Jermaine Cunningham make in a few years.

Malcom Brown has flashed a few good plays too. He still has that rookie "deer in headlights" look in his eyes. Like he isn't quite sure of himself yet. But he's coming along. He's had some nice TFL and caused Hightower to recover a fumble in the Jets game.

Jordan Richards looks eager when he's on the field, but hasn't made any big plays yet.

Trey Flowers is officially off the injury report now.

Richards has had one or two good plays. I forget which game, but there was an opposing receiver that made a catch near the sidelines over Richards. Richards caught him in the air and carried him out of bounds, probably a good yard and a half away from the out of bounds line, before he could get his feet down. Was a smart, heads up play on his part.

I believe there isn't a single first rounder currently on offense for the Patriots. Which is amazing. But look at the investment on defense.

#1 Chandler Jones
#1 Easley
#1 Malcolm Brown
#1 Hightower
#1 Mayo
#2 Collins
#1 Mccourty
#2 Chung
#2, #2, #3, #3 safeties & CBs
-----------------------------------
Offense?

#2 Vollmer
#2 Gronk

Geneo looks bigger than I expected. I had to look up #92 last game when he flushed Tanne for the sack. Didn't even cross my mind that it could be Grissom.

Oh, and you don't hear the name Cardona much, which means he's doing exactly what he was chosen to do.

It's not only the snapping. He's been exceptional in coverage too.

Hes developing right now.

His snap count is up and to me, he is playing the run much better.

He's actually played the most snaps out of the DTs

Brown- 174
Siliga- 163
Branch- 152
Easley- 148

Brown has been our best or 2nd best DT this season. His last 3 or 4 games have seen him grown a ton. I would only put Alan Branch ahead of him so far and not by much.

Hicks and Easley have a chance to leapfrog Brown and Branch as they develop more and get used to our system. Brown is really the only 3-down DT we have right now unless Easley gets better on running downs.

Once Chris Jones comes back Siliga could potentially be the odd man out. Chris Jones and Easley are our only "true" 3-tech DTs and Hicks, Brown and Branch all have overlapping abilities as space eater, run controlling DTs.

He's actually played the most snaps out of the DTs

Brown- 174
Siliga- 163
Branch- 152
Easley- 148

Yea Brown just passed Seal as he only had a handful of snaps vs MIA I think..

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes