Replies:
Very sad news: RIP Joker
Replies:
OT: Bad news - "it" is back...
Replies:
2023/2024 Patriots Roster Transaction Thread
Replies:
Asking for your support

Who's making satisfactory progress (or better)?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Here are my grades...with an explanation

34. Patrick Chung - B- He only gets into the B catagory because he started to play more in the Bucs game with the regular D for the first time. He was our first draft choice and I'd have hoped he'd have had more of an impact thus far.

Look what happened when BB left Meriweather to mature, like a good whiskey he only got better, when Chung is ready BB will play him.

I think everyone is pretty much where they "should" be, with some outperforming others. The only ones I didn't vote for are Brace and Orhnberger, because we haven't been able to really see them play.

Chung is starting to get me excited. He's reminding me of Meriweather's rookie year, where he started out non-existent but by year's end was contributing. If he can make the same leap from this year to next, we're going to have two damn good safeties for years to come.

We could have 3 starting caliber safeties by next year in Meriweather, McGowan, and Chung.

Yay for depth? Or more plays involving 3 safeties?

EDIT: *Just learns Mcgowan is only 26 years old* How did we get this guy :eek:

EDIT: *Just learns Mcgowan is only 26 years old* How did we get this guy :eek:

we lucked out because he missed the last year and a little more due to injuries and is just emerging right now in terms of talent and game skills.

We could have 3 starting caliber safeties by next year in Meriweather, McGowan, and Chung.

Yay for depth? Or more plays involving 3 safeties?

I think that BB would have taken Delmas if he'd been there, I really hope Chung works out. We didn't do so well with the last Chung we took. Lets see how that trade worked out. We got the immortal Eugene Chung, and SF got some guy named ....Jerry Rice. :eek:

That being said, if Chung works out to be a player and McGowan can stay off the injury list, having 3 safeties who all could be starting gives BB a LOT of flexibility. The kind we haven't seen around here in several years, SPECIFICALLY because we haven't had the quality NOR the depth in our DBs. Having those 3 S's in the game allowed us to play a number of hybrid D's that can be very confusing to opposing QBs.

This class reminds me a lot of the 49ers 1986 draft class:
NFL's top 10 draft classes in league history

....which is considered one of the greatest drafts in NFL history. Walsh and the 49ers maneuvered for extra picks by trading down, sound familiar, and came away with a class of Charles Haley, John Taylor, Tom Rathman, Kevin ***an, Don Griffin, Steve Wallace, Tim McKyer and Larry Roberts – who were all key starters in their future Super Bowl championships. Walsh also traded away quarterback Matt Cavanaugh and OL Billy Shields for more picks -- like BB traded Cassel and Vrabs, albeit for 1 pick, but things are different now due to cap.

I love this Pats draft class.

Whoa there, tiger. Let's not go that far.

I think that BB would have taken Delmas if he'd been there, I really hope Chung works out. We didn't do so well with the last Chung we took. Lets see how that trade worked out. We got the immortal Eugene Chung, and SF got some guy named ....Jerry Rice. :eek:

That being said, if Chung works out to be a player and McGowan can stay off the injury list, having 3 safeties who all could be starting gives BB a LOT of flexibility. The kind we haven't seen around here in several years, SPECIFICALLY because we haven't had the quality NOR the depth in our DBs. Having those 3 S's in the game allowed us to play a number of hybrid D's that can be very confusing to opposing QBs.

Rice was drafted in 1985, the trade involved Pats moving down from 16 -- where Rice was drafted -- to 28, where the Pats selected OL Trevor Matich. The Pats also received additional picks. Eugene Chung was selected in 1992.

Whoa there, tiger. Let's not go that far.

Hey, bold but my opinion. I felt the same way on draft day. I actually feel better about this class now then I did in April.

Hey, bold but my opinion. I felt the same way on draft day. I actually feel better about this class now then I did in April.

I really like this class as well but only time will tell if this class can even hold a candle to that 49ers draft class. That class was a GOAT type of class. This one is just pretty good so far.

Rice was drafted in 1985, the trade involved Pats moving down from 16 -- where Rice was drafted -- to 28, where the Pats selected OL Trevor Matich. The Pats also received additional picks. Eugene Chung was selected in 1992.

Thanks for the reminder, though its easy to confuse the 2 when you consider both Matich, and Chungs impact on the Pats. BOTH were very forgettable.

Thanks for the reminder, though its easy to confuse the 2 when you consider both Matich, and Chungs impact on the Pats. BOTH were very forgettable.

Ha -- Sadly they are not forgetable, only regretable.

Like many other posters, I'm delighted with this year's rookies. It just continues to pay dividends as Tate gets his first playing time, and Chung participates more in games. In the meantime, Brace could still pan out, as he hasn't really had much opportunity to showcase his skills playing behind such depth.

That linebacker on IR (McKenzie) could prove to be a good player as well. We'll see next year.

But don't overlook what a great draft class can do for a team. The Giants used an excellent draft crop to challenge us in 2006-7, and won the Super Bowl. What I love most about this draft is that it has allowed the team to withstand the losses of veteran superstars such as Rodney, Teddy, Vrabes, and Seymour. It has allowed the team to instantly reload without losing a step. Incredible.

Plus next year, we have a first- and three second-rounders. Wow!! Kudos to the scouting department. And kudos to BB for wheeling and dealing for more picks. When you are able to nail picks like this, it's nice to have more of them.

Chung will be OK - yes, anyone can look good vs the Bucs, but I think he's going to be a solid guy... which is kinda the way I feel about this draft. Some think this will be BB's best, or near the top. I wonder... I am very pleased with the early results, but how many of these players will be good to very good (and don't get me wrong - I'll take it) as opposed to definative game changers ?

No first rounders might make it difficult to find Mayo-types in the 09 draft. Pryor, Edelman, Ingram... these guys look solid. Are we really expecting them to be game changers ? I dunno. It's early. I guess Tate would be a candidate. Maybe Butler & Vollmer have a chance as well.

In the end... what is better ? A deep group of solid guys, or a couple of game changers mixed in with a few so-so players ?

Edelman is pretty darned exciting when you consider he was drafted purely as a raw athlete and had never played WR before at any level. His potential is huge.

I can't wait until BB brwaks out the "WildPat" offense, which will feature him.

For those of you who like Chung- I think we'll see a lot of him in the Miami game. I think we'll steal a page from what NO did and motion him towards WR but have him cheat by slanting downfield to seal the pocket, strong side, to shut down the power sweep, and have the top safety roll over to pick up the WR that Chung "leaves." McGowan motions down and hopefully penetrates A gap to seal Ronnie Brown.

We'll definitely see plenty more of the 3 safeties packages.

For those of you who like Chung- I think we'll see a lot of him in the Miami game. I think we'll steal a page from what NO did and motion him towards WR but have him cheat by slanting downfield to seal the pocket, strong side, to shut down the power sweep, and have the top safety roll over to pick up the WR that Chung "leaves." McGowan motions down and hopefully penetrates A gap to seal Ronnie Brown.

We'll definitely see plenty more of the 3 safeties packages.

You think Miami is going to keep Gabril Wilson on Welker, or do you think they'll go away from what they've been doing and shift Vontae Davis over to him, let Sean Smith cover Moss, and have Wilson take Aiken?

You can only HOPE that Wilson covers Welker. Wilson NEVER was a good pass coverage S and over the years has gotten worse. I know it, the Pats know it, and the Dolphins know it. Believe me, the only time Wilson will be close to Wes Welker is to try and tackle him after a catch.

Teams will either put a CB on Welker, or to have a LB try and rough him up on the LOS then put a S or CB on him after he's hit.

You think Miami is going to keep Gabril Wilson on Welker, or do you think they'll go away from what they've been doing and shift Vontae Davis over to him, let Sean Smith cover Moss, and have Wilson take Aiken?

I don't think they'll be dumb enough to play man coverage after seeing what the Bucs tried to do, and especially not with a rookie CB on the left. Don't be surprised to see us do plenty of trips left. You're going to see the safeties do a lot of work, rolling over to help.

In the end... what is better ? A deep group of solid guys, or a couple of game changers mixed in with a few so-so players ?

As a undefeated Monday morning QB, (my hindsights have never been wrong :p) - I would rather have a few game changers mixed with so-so players (instead of a deep group...).

My rational is that with the Pats style of team building - they are not going to pay the big bucks in FA to get a game changer (or for that matter -pay to keep one unless named Brady). While it is easier to pick up moderate priced FA's to build the deep pool of players to complete ones roster - especially when you are named Belichick and know how to find so-so players to fit your system. Example - see Pats SB 2001 team.

I think the biggest argument concerns Chung. By the beginning of the season, he was the obvious 4th S, not due to talent but to how useful he is in the system at the time. He has been playing most on ST, and I don't know about anyone else, but I see him having an impact on just about every ST play. Sound like any current starting safety in his rookie year? Since Sanders went down, he has stepped in and done pretty well. Edelman and Pryor have leapfrogged some players at their position, but just because Chung hasn't doesn't mean he hasn't been very valuable to this team. There is an obvious fire lit under his ***** on every play, much like I see from McGowan.

BTW, in voting I made a bad mistake in not voting for Ingram. That's a great sign considering good longsnappers never get noticed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes