PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Rookie of the Year

Status
Not open for further replies.

PatsFanSince74

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
To complement the "Five most improved" thread.

I know there's been a lot of discussion about these guys, but I don't know whether we've had a "Rookie of the Year" thread. If we have, I apologize, but here goes.

It's a close call between Maroney and Gostkowski. I think each exceeded expectations, especially Maroney at the beginning of the season. However, Gostkowski started solid and then finished strong, especially in the Playoffs. Maroney, for injury reasons that were kept a little vague, didn't finish as strong.

So my vote is for Gostkowski, who had a lot to overcome in filling AV's shoes.

I'm with you. Gostkowski was in a near impossible position, had a serious wobble at the beginning/middle of the season but came back to kick some seriously important FGs, including big ones against Chicago, Indianapolis and a pressure cooker game winner in San Diego.

Maroney had a great season and will hopefully really kick on in 2007 but I was a little disappointed with his contribution down the stretch when we really needed the running game to kick in. Whether that was play-calling (let's not go there!!) blocking, the rookie wall or whatever I don't know.

Chad Jackson anyone?

I think Gostowski continues to improve now that he's shown the world he can kick in a few playoff games. Lot of burden filling AV's shoes that he doesn't have to deal with any more.. if it ever even bothered him in the first place.

The winner is.....Gostowski !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Maroney really tapered off by the end of the season. I think Addai of Indy really surpassed Maroney.

Come on Guys your really taking a Kicker. I don't think there is much debate here Maroney ran very well last season and contributed to special teams as well. all gostkowski did was kick. would there even be any debate if it were not for Adam leaving.

is it just me or does it seem like we got better production out of other rookie classes?

Come on Guys your really taking a Kicker. I don't think there is much debate here Maroney ran very well last season and contributed to special teams as well. all gostkowski did was kick. would there even be any debate if it were not for Adam leaving.

is it just me or does it seem like we got better production out of other rookie classes?
Exactly, Willie Andrews wins hands down for his Special Teams' effort.

The biggest knocks on Maroney out of college were he had sub-par hands and didn't show effort blocking. In his first season he rendered those criticisms moot in my eyes. Going forward he should be a dangerous weapon out of the backfield as a reciever (see games vs. GB and Chi), a reliable blocker, and even better at breaking tackles. BTW, for those who criticize him for not breaking enough tackles, I believe he was 2nd in the NFL in "average yards after contact". Maroney exceeded my expectations in blitz-pickup, receiving ability, kick return coverage, team first attitude, and toughness playing through a painful injury. The sky's the limit. He was hands down rookie of the year, no offense to The Great Gostkowski. It's easy to just remember what we saw last: the G-man finishing strong and Maroney playing through torn rib cartilage. But over the course of 19 games it wasn't close.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back