David Thomas -- 86
Garrett Mills -- 45
Stephen Gostkowski -- 3
Ryan O’Callaghan -- 68
Jeremy Mincey -- 58
Dan Stevenson -- 63
Le Kevin Smith -- 65
Willie Andrews -- 38

I don't like Maroney's or Jackson's number. Reiss' wording in thr blog was the Patriots rookies numbers were assigned today, which means they might not have had a choice. I don't think Jackson will change because there were available numbers in the 80's but aybe after cuts Maroney will get a new number. 39 is garbage.

Last edited:
zippo59 said:
Laurence Maroney -- 39
Chad Jackson -- 17
David Thomas -- 86
Garrett Mills -- 45
Stephen Gostkowski -- 3
Ryan O’Callaghan -- 68
Dan Stevenson -- 63
Le Kevin Smith -- 65
Willie Andrews -- 38

I don't like Maroney's or Jackson's number. Reiss' wording in thr blog was the Patriots rookies numbers were assigned today, which means they might not have had a choice. I don't think Jackson will change because there were available numbers in the 80's but aybe after cuts Maroney will get a new number. 39 is garbage.

What seperates #39 from #21 or #212313?

They're NUMBERS!!!

They're MEANINGLESS.

They are simply for IDENTIFICATION PURPOSES!

(But in other news, I phrophesied this thread in a dream last night. I knew somebody would beat me to this, as it occured in the dream. Honestly. Man, I need a life - with some better dreams.)

Last edited:
I like 39. In fact, I think Maroney randomly got 39 when he got drafted in Madden for me, then proceeded to rush for 1500 years a year with the Falcons. That would work for me.

pats1 said:
What seperates #39 from #21 or #212313?

They're NUMBERS!!!

They're MEANINGLESS.

They are simply for IDENTIFICATION PURPOSES!

This is true but

A) It's the offseason, things to talk about are not in great abundance.

B) There's sort of a sentimental nostalgia to players' numbers. They represent more than just a number, it becomes part of the player. Players obviously feel this way, because they often buy or go to lengths to aquire a certain number when changing teams. Also teams retire numbers of the greats. It's definitely more than just a number in football.

Last edited:
Didn't sam the bam cunningham where that number. New nick-name Lo "Bam Bam" Mo?

JustWinBrady said:

Indeed it was!

1094409831_9827.jpg

JustWinBrady said:

right he did .
If he does as well as Sam i`ll be happy

pats60 said:
right he did .
If he does as well as Sam i`ll be happy

What? He only had one season where he went over 1000 yards, and during that one year he only averaged 3.8 yards per carry.

Personally I like Maroney as a 39. Not so much on the Jackson 17. Interesting that Mills is 45, definitely a sign that he's gonna be in the backfield and not another TE. Also Mincey as 58 got left off I think. Here's to hoping 58 can help replace 55. Any word on if the UDRFA get numbers this weekend as well?

So Garrett Mills gets a fullbacks number and Jeremy Mincy gets a linebackers number.
Can we conclude that these players WILL be used as the numbers indicate?

Incidently. Usually receivers numbers are in the 80s. Jackson being assigned as #17 is a departure. Dedric Ward was also 17. Can somebody tell me why that is?
Are all 80s numbers used up and if so, why does 17 seem to be the number used instead?
Thanks

Last edited:
These are just temporary for some of them. If/when they make the final roster and others are cut, they will have a choice of those numbers.

Last edited by a moderator:
363839 said:
So Garrett Mills gets a fullbacks number and Jeremy Mincy gets a linebackers number.

Incidently. Usually receivers numbers are in the 80s. Jackson being assigned as #17 is a departure. Dedric Ward was also 17. Can somebody tell me why that is?
Are all 80s numbers used up and if so, why does 17 seem to be the number used instead?
Thanks

No, 85, 88, and 89 were still available.

There just seems to be in an influx with young WR's taking numbers in the teens lately.

Chris Henry on the Bengals - 15
Mark Bradley on the Bears - 16
Matt Jones on the Jaguars - 18
Ernest Wilford on the Jaguars - 19
Reggie Williams on the Jaguars - 11

Even some vets take these teen numbers when they switch teams:

Plaxico Burress on the Giants - 17
Jerry Rice on the Broncos before his retirement - 19
Tim Dwight on the Jets - 17
Andre' Davis on the Bills - 18
Corey Bradford on the Lions - 17

Last edited:
Maroney got #39? Kool. Sam's old number. Csonka's too!

Doesn't Steven Jackson also wear #39?

yes but i feel Maroney's number is definatley temporary..31 or 32 will be avaible by end of camp..no way Spann or Poteat make it with Scott, Warfield,Gay,Samuel, Hobbs all there. Spann is likely gone..hope he takes 32 by buying it

Don't forget Larry Fitzgerald and Roy Williams who both took 11, Braylon Edwards who took 17, and Koren Robinson who took 18.

363839 said:

Same observation here. Just as has been speculated, Mills being awarded #45 just adds to the notion of him being a full-back/H-back. Lookout Patrick Pass!

Bobs My Uncle said:
Maroney got #39? Kool. Sam's old number. Csonka's too!

Doesn't Steven Jackson also wear #39?

I think of power backs having numbers in the high 30's, with quick, shiftier backs like Maroney in the 20's or perhaps low 30's.

zippo59 said:
I think of power backs having numbers in the high 30's, with quick, shiftier backs like Maroney in the 20's or perhaps low 30's.

Again, they're NUMBERS!

I see where you're coming from, but I just don't get how 39 is any less "tight" (as THEARCHIVES put it) than any other number. It really doesn't matter. They don't make any players look better or whatever. All that matters is the player wearing the number. This whole "tight" number thing stikes me as if it was coming from casual, younger football fan, turned on by the flashiness of T.O. or Chad Johnson and his celebrations. They probably pick up a ball and try to figure out their best celebration and pick their "tightest" number instead of actually focusing on the aspects of the game that will make them better.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back