PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Rookie guarantees and why Solder isn't signed yet

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just because some teams conduct themselves stupidly that doesnt obligate the Patriots to do likewise.

No, but the Agents will try to get everything they can out of it.

and what does that have to do with the Patriots and their rookies?

There's no way you're this clueless. I simply refuse to believe you can't figure it out.

There's no way you're this clueless. I simply refuse to believe you can't figure it out.

Oh, I know very well what you're trying to get at but rookies don't seem to understand that the ONLY market for their talents is the team that selects them, it's not like an Adrian Clayborn deal sets a new market, if he was a free agent that would be a different story but he's not, and the team doesnt need him as much as he needs them.

Let him hold out, I hope they decrease the amount of money slotted for him on a daily basis, as they're getting less service and value from him.

Oh, I know very well what you're trying to get at but rookies don't seem to understand that the ONLY market for their talents is the team that selects them, it's not like an Adrian Clayborn deal sets a new market, if he was a free agent that would be a different story but he's not, and the team doesnt need him as much as he needs them.

Let him hold out, I hope they decrease the amount of money slotted for him on a daily basis, as they're getting less service and value from him.

Seriously? What would be the incentive for Solder to sign a contract with less money that is slotted? For the Patriots? The Patriot Way? Ask Logan Mankins about the Patriot Way?

This is a business, plain and simple.

Solder will do what is in his best interest. Its the same thing that the Pats do.

The Pats decided that Solder is the "heir" appearant to Matt Light. What will the PATS due if Solder decides in 5 years to take his talent on the road. Brady will be retired and Mallett will be running for his life.

They will eventually figure this out and everyone will be happy.

Seriously? What would be the incentive for Solder to sign a contract with less money that is slotted? For the Patriots? The Patriot Way? Ask Logan Mankins about the Patriot Way?

This is a business, plain and simple.

Solder will do what is in his best interest. Its the same thing that the Pats do.

The Pats decided that Solder is the "heir" appearant to Matt Light. What will the PATS due if Solder decides in 5 years to take his talent on the road. Brady will be retired and Mallett will be running for his life.

They will eventually figure this out and everyone will be happy.

It makes 0 sense to give 100% guarantees to rookies, especially raw rookies like Solder, simply because another team decided to do that. If he wants money he should be prepared to EARN it. If he becomes the next Jake Long he's going to see that big money, sitting on his ass doesn't get him any closer to deserving elite money.

It makes 0 sense to give 100% guarantees to rookies, especially raw rookies like Solder, simply because another team decided to do that. If he wants money he should be prepared to EARN it. If he becomes the next Jake Long he's going to see that big money, sitting on his ass doesn't get him any closer to deserving elite money.

They just changed the CBA. You're now looking at an era of less money and more guarantees for first rounders.

They just changed the CBA. You're now looking at an era of less money and more guarantees for first rounders.

I get that, but demanding 100% seems stupid, especially if they're offering 75% and he's a RAW rookie that will need a lot of time and coaching in order to get up to speed. It's the same reason why I think Tate's value should have been reduced at least 20% due to him needing to miss a year because of his injury, the team get a year less service from him, it's looking more and more like we'll get less service from Solder.

Last edited:
Tampa Bay sure has a weird way of doing things. They were so far below the cap but yet instead of trying to bring in some good veterans or getting involved to try and grab a star they decided they will just guarantee rookie contracts, invite more udfa's to camp than any other team and hope some of them pan out. This was a team that was certainly on the rise last season albeit in a very good division. If i was a fan I wouldn't be happy knowing the effort just seemed not to be there to make my team better havig that much money.

I get that, but demanding 100% seems stupid, especially if they're offering 75% and he's a RAW rookie that will need a lot of time and coaching in order to get up to speed. It's the same reason why I think Tate's value should have been reduced at least 20% due to him needing to miss a year because of his injury, the team get a year less service from him, it's looking more and more like we'll get less service from Solder.

It's not stupid at all. Accepting 75%, when those around you are getting 100%, would be stupid.

Last edited:
It's not stupid at all. Accepting 75%, when those around you are getting 100%, would be stupid.

As was just pointed out by Patriot Missle, giving more guaranteed money made sense for Tampa given their cap situation. As previously mentioned by myself, NE is the only market for Solder, they're not required to give away the farm because someone else does.

BB will not care as long as Solder doesn't somehow become a distraction or a holdout. It's just a business negotiation. The two sides have only been able to talk for a couple weeks now, and usually they have much longer than that.

Missing a week or two of training camp is not going to ruin Solder's rookie season. Hell, Cunningham missed all of training camp last year with an injury and was starting by week 5.

Solder may not have that opportunity at all this year if Light stays healthy. He'll be fine.

As was just pointed out by Patriot Missle, giving more guaranteed money made sense for Tampa given their cap situation. As previously mentioned by myself, NE is the only market for Solder, they're not required to give away the farm because someone else does.

The Bucs are not the only team to have given a guaranteed contract. Solder is bracketed, because the closest signed players to him, both above (Redskins, Dolphins) and below (Bucs) signed guaranteed contracts. The players above and below him are getting guaranteed deals. Therefore, he'd be stupid to take a deal that's not guaranteed. Why should he be the first player in the round not to have his money guaranteed?

Now, if the two sides stay at an impasse, and the Chargers and Giants both win (in the sense of not giving out fully guaranteed contracts), Solder's position will have changed somewhat, and he'll be under more pressure.

The Solder Situation :confused:

I can't cut and paste the Chart. won't let me click link

9 Tyron Smith- 4yrs 12.5m guar.
17 Nate Solder unsigned
22 Castonzo Details undisclosed
29 Carimi 4yrs 7.06 nothing guar.
32 Sherrod 4yrs 6.6 nothing guar.

what really hurts us here are the undisclosed contracts and the distance between Sherrod 9 and Solder 17. Anthony Costonzo @ 22 everything is undisclosed.
What is our deal not willing to guarantee the guy $$$ and his 4yrs? The hold up has to be on guaranteed money. Picks 29 and 32 nothing is guaranteed and obviously a 17th overall pick deserves probably 7-9million guar. Smith is a top 10 selection and I hope solder is not expecting that kind of guaranteed $$$ of 12.5 m.

NFL.com news: Signing status of 2011 NFL Draft first-round picks

Last edited:
Re: The Solder Situation :confused:

I can't cut and paste the Chart. won't let me click link

9 Tyron Smith- 4yrs 12.5m guar.
17 Nate Solder unsigned
22 Castonzo Details undisclosed
29 Carimi 4yrs 7.06 nothing guar.
32 Sherrod 4yrs 6.6 nothing guar.

what really hurts us here are the undisclosed contracts and the distance between Sherrod 9 and Solder 17. Anthony Costonzo @ 22 everything is undisclosed.
What is our deal not willing to guarantee the guy $$$? The hold up has to be on guaranteed money. Picks 29 and 32 nothing is guaranteed and obviously a 17th overall pick deserves probably 7-9million guar. Smith is a top 10 selection and I hope solder is not expecting that kind of guaranteed $$$ of 12.5 m.

NFL.com news: Signing status of 2011 NFL Draft first-round picks

guess that's why they signed light, this guy will be holding out for a good chunk of the season, maybe the whole season.

They still ahve a bunch of other OTs....center is what they need to develop.

Since you are his king, please give him a mandate to hurry up and sign!!

Guaranteed $$$ phucks w/ cap space correct? Are we letting our cap strategy best us here?

Is the Agent entirely responsible here is it the player? Or are the PATS using their own leverage as well b/c we know we have light. If the PATS are stubborn about this we lose more and more development time. This situation suc ks. I am no expert on this situation and if ppl know more than me about this plz step up:)

Last edited:

Undisclosed or otherwise the teams and other agents are notified of terms and they know who got what. The delay is that the the majority of players above him got 4 years fully guaranteed. The players immediately below him are still holding out for that. Player 20 got his deal fully guaranteed early on and also got closer to the max allocation for his slot because the team skimmed money off of the later round guys who are getting closer to the minimum. Players below him like Castonozo have now folded or reached some compromise (Polian went on record the other day that he would not guarantee his player 4 years even though Condon is the agent...).

Solder is the boy on the rookie cap guarantee bubble...and either he and/or his agent are not yet prepared to be the ones who cave and set the non-anomoly (because the Bucs GM is green) break point. Although it makes sense for it to land right there (just like the old CBA drew the line at 1-16 for 6 years and 17-32 for 5).

Guaranteed $$$ phucks w/ cap space correct? Are we letting our cap strategy best us here?

Is the Agent entirely responsible here is it the player? Or are the PATS using their own leverage as well b/c we know we have light. If the PATS are stubborn about this we lose more and more development time. This situation suc ks. I am no expert on this situation and if ppl know more than me about this plz step up:)

This isn't about cap space given the drop in value on first round rookie deals - it's about principle and precedent in the first year of a ten year CBA...

Good info Mo thnx man. Like I said I know the situation, but at the same time I know so little about it when I see responses from ppl like Mo. I'm not going to pretend that I know something like this instane b/c I don't know all the details.

I don't get why we can't guarantee him 4 years?:confused:

what is the big deal Mo and other ppl?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes